Home General Training Discussions
Options

New guy...

Good morning everyone.  My name is Dan and I've been doing a lot of reading provided to me about EN and decided to give it a try.  I really like the philosophy here and hope that I can incorporate it into my training.  I just wanted to introduce myself and to start getting to know others in the forum.  I'll have a million questions, but I won't pester you with them yet.  Hope you are all warm as it was 10 and snowing outside my house this morning!

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the fun. It's a pretty friendly crowd here, and folks are always happy to answer questions directly or by sending you to a thread where your question may have been addressed previously. There used to be a thread somewhere for new members to introduce themselves, but not sure what happened to it in the switchover to EN 4.0. Share a few more details: home, family, race history, A Race for 2010, etc. We'd like to get to know you.
  • Options
    Hey Dan: Welcome to the "Haus". Glad you have a million questions. I think we all did! Start jotting down your questions so you don't forget them. There are plenty of "Wicked Smart" members here that will help you and guide you. As a suggestion, use the Training Map in the "Resources" function. That helps tremendously. In addition, be prepared to drink the "Kool Aid". "Trust and obey, for there is no other way" (old church hymn)! There is method to the coaches' maddness and there are over 400 athletes to attest to their approach.....and on top of it, there are some pretty cool people here! ENJOY and WELCOME!
  • Options

Im from Oneonta, NY.  My race history is short, only 2 races, Musselman half in Geneva NY, and IMLP last summer (I have a friend who a bit militant with training and said to just jump in with both feet.... I'm still alive!)  I'm not too fast as I've never swam competitively or even biked for that matter since I was kid (34 now) and I used to be a pretty decent runner until I lost all articular cartilage in my right knee... so really I have no strengths now.  I'm working on power for the bike (aren't we all???), my swim isn't bad, 69' for IMLP with drills and a long swim once a week with some interval stuff every other or so.  I have only one race planned, the new half in Syracuse this year as my family is expecting this Feb, so time and money are a concern.  My goal is to be around 5:15 for the half, keep my knee healthy, and lose about 15 pounds.  Thanks everyone.

• Options
    Dan,
    Sounds like I am where you were last year... I got talked into starting with IMCDA this coming June and have never done a tri. I decided to do a half in March for practice. At least I know someone has survived starting at the top! good luck with the baby. I've got a 4 mo old who seems to enjoy watching me ride on the trainer and suffer!

• Options

Peter, wait until they try to stick their hand in the rear wheel!  Talk about upping your HR!  Nothing wrong with starting at the top, I had an athlete laugh at me when they asked what I had done prior to LP.  Not that I finished with any fast time, but I knew I could do it, and before finishing, I knew it wasn't my last!  Thanks for the reply.

• Options

Dan,

Welcome and fire away with the questions.  I am new this season to EN and enjoying the work and all the people in the Haus.

Gordon