Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Bored and Venting

We're supposed to get socked with snow in t-minus 8 hours (theoretically, but it looks like a damn good certainty at this point). Normally when it snows in DC I sit back with my virtual bowl of popcorn and laugh at all the boobs spinning their wheels. But it's the weekend and I have a ton of fun stuff planned, all of which is either already canceled or in serious jeopardy of getting canceled. And I'm okay with that in principle - if the road conditions suck, it'll be my choice to skip driving to Baltimore to race or heading to Virginia for a party.

But I've got 7 weeks of high intensity training under my belt that is now expressing itself in a constant, jittery urge to get up and run circles around the block (seriously - I'm at the point where if the traffic light turns yellow on my walks about town, I break into a dead sprint to cross the intersection in time just to bleed off energy). And there is NO WORKOUT ON SUNDAY, which normally I revel in but not this week. This could not be worse timing. Not only does this happen outside of a work week when there's the possibility of a snow day, which, unlike other childhood pleasures, does not lose its appeal in adulthood, it happens on a REST WEEK!

So now I'm staring down a weekend of...cleaning the entire house (a whole 700 square feet = an hour, tops)...giving the dogs a bath...wait, dog bath THEN clean house, right?...exploring the limits of my slow cooker by making some kind of chili with the remnants of my pantry...um...I haven't been able to nap for five years, so that's out...going through all the EN podcasts I've never gotten around to watching?...organizing a sledding party for Sunday?

Frick! This sucks!

Comments

• Options
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play mAll work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.akes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
  • Options

REDRUM, REDRUM, REDRUM

• Options

You're already two days in the future. Live in the moment, baby! All that stress melts away. Ohmmmmmm.

• Options

I grew up in McLean Va and so know first hand of the joys of the DC snow storms! The worst was the one in the mid- 1990s, of course my brother's wedding in Tyson's Corner was the night it started to dump and dump and dump some more! My husband and I, along with my Aunt and Uncle (from California) and my Mom and Dad were trapped in the house together for 4 days!!! OMG - it was a nightmare - that is way too much family in one place for too long and of course I couldn't get out for a run. The snow plows didn't even make it to the neighborhood for 3 days. I am still not sure why my Aunt survived - I was sure somebody would kill her and I probably would have been the first on that list  if my husband hadn't been able to keep me in check. Of course my brother and sister-in-law had to spend their honeymoon in the hotel in Tyson's Corner instead of warm sunny Florida. We were on the first flight out of National and seriously almost ended up in the Potomac, very scary stuff. Sorry I'm not much help on what to do about it - I guess the moral is when there is nothing you can do you just have to find a way to deal with whatever Mother Nature dishes out! Hang in there

• Options
    Go the Train Map and check out Leigh's core workout---it's an arse kicker. That should burn off some energy... Or you can bottle all of it up for Monday's bike test.
  • Options
    Holy mother of... Snow started at 9 last night and by 11:30 people were spinning out in front of my house. 4 inches @ 5 a.m. when I got up briefly to confirm that, no, I was not heading to Baltimore for the 5-miler; 6-7 inches when I got up again @ 8. I have no idea what it is now but it's a whole lotta snow and DC is not disappointing in its hysteria. We're under a blizzard warning and in a declared snow emergency.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm feeling much better now. After a leisurely breakfast, bike workout, baseline test for the 100 pushups, vacuuming and organizing, I was already to lunchtime. I decided to (re)make my own fun by inviting every friend within walking distance to my house tonight for game night, food, and oodles of wine. (What was that about a body composition group? Er...) I have cookies in the oven right now and am about to start on the chili. Now to sit back and watch it come down!
  • Options
    Posted By Suzanne Kinsky on 19 Dec 2009 01:10 PM

Thanks for letting me vent.

Anytime, sistah! Sometimes it just must be done. image