Home General Training Discussions
Options

Chia?

Anyone ever tried eating chia seeds?  They were mentioned in "Born to Run".  Lots of articles on the web about how great they are, but nothing that looks even remotely scientific or from a nutritionist.  I'm thinking of getting my kids Chia Pets for Christmas.  They've got all kinds of crazy stuff like Nintendo DSI, iPod Touch, etc. on their lists, so I'm thinking a good old fashioned useless "pet" would be better.  SO...I'll likely have a bunch of the seeds around, so maybe I'll guinea pig it for y'all.  They have them at my local co-op, so maybe I'll ask one of the hippies that works there about them.

Comments

• Options

I have a tub of them I got from whole foods. Throw them in tea sometimes. Search on Chia Fresca on youtube for other ideas

• Options
    I can't wait until you take a shower. Or it rains. Somebody do a shout out to Brian Massey!
  • Options
    We keep a mix of chia gel (chia seeds and water) in the fridge. I have some mixed with orange juice sometimes before a workout. I love them. Granted this could be psychological as I have not really "tested" their effectiveness. But I usually don't feel like bonking if I have had some chia juice. Plus, it is a quick breakfast when short on time. They don't taste like anything, the texture is a little odd. Just like the book describes, "frog eggs".

You can buy a pound on amazon for really cheap.
  • Options

I have been using chia seeds for some time now in a morning oatmeal,  mix with oats, muscle milk and rasins, its my new thing Seems to keep me full all afternoon. My wife is a hard sell and so far she seems to like it also. I am considering buying the 5lb bag that amazon offers, agood deal for the money. I currently buy a can at GNC (expensive) . I think this is a good thing.  A chia drink i mix up is; one scoop or two of seeds in cold water, stir and then add fresh squeezed lemon juice. stir, then stir again.    if you can get over the fact it looks like frogs eggs in the pond when you were a kid,  it actually keeps you going for some time. It will be my new nutritional experiment for 2010. I will keep you posted!

MikeN Derry NH

• Options
    I'll give it a try. My co-op has them in bulk, so I'm sure they'll be pretty cheap. Michael - I'll check prices and see if I can save you some money.
  • Options
    So what's the benefit supposed to be? This is a new one to me!
  • Options

Have been meaning to try this too. Will have to pick some up at GNC or Wegman's might have them. 

• Options

Nemo,

The book Born to Run has a couple of supposed gems from a tribe of runners in the Copper Canyons in Mexico. One is that they see chia seeds as a near magical supply of energy as a culture. They also use a ground of corn mixture as a primary fuel source also.

Vince

• Options
    Posted By Nemo Brauch on 18 Dec 2009 09:44 AM

So what's the benefit supposed to be? This is a new one to me!

Ditto what Vince said re: Born to Run.  Here's a paragraph from one of the many online nutrition sites that claim various things about chia:

Chia, is familiar to most of us as a seed used for the novelty of the Chia Pet™, clay animals with sprouted Chia seeds covering their bodies. Little is known, however, of the seeds tremendous nutritional value and medicinal properties. For centuries this tiny little seed was used as a staple food by the Indians of the south west and Mexico. Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. Indians running form the Colorado River to the California coast to trade turquoise for seashells would only bring the Chia seed for their nourishment.

I can't help laughing at the idea of a water stop on an IM with a table covered with various chia pets for folks to snack on: