Home General Training Discussions
Options

Missed Workouts

Originally posted in Dec OS group but following a couple of suggestions and reposting here:

Question from a noob. What is the proper way to deal with missed workouts? In the past if I have missed a day on my planned workouts (pre EN) I would complete the workout the following day along with that days. Didn't kill me too bad especially at this time of year when it was long , slow miles in a base period. With the EN focus on intensity it seems that this would be more difficult to do if all of the zones are correct and I could be affecting couple of days in the future by overloading one day? I know, the proper way is don't miss the workouts but when the in-laws are at the house waiting at this time of year you can burn a lot of SAU's to squeeze in a workoutMy wonderful wife already tolerates my training so you can't push it too far!

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Options

Hi Mike

I'm not a WSM, but in the Haus long enough to know that the coaches and WSMs would say let it go, and don't stress about it. Especially this time of year. Life does happen at times, Build those SAUs this time of year and use them when needed later closer to your races

• Options

What Tracy said. "Don't train yourself into a brick wall" is a RnP-ism, which I interpret to mean, don't kill yourself physically, emotionally, and/or logistically to adhere 100% to what's on the page. I doubt you'll find one EN-er who can make every single workout and the coaches certainly do not expect you to be able to. We train in real life here. Your fitness is not as fragile as you think - a bad week or two will not make a difference in the long run. (You might be appalled if I told you what workouts I missed last season and I had a great season.)

Rich has posted some stuff in the forums about how to finagle your training to accomodate travel and other obligations, so try searching for that (or maybe a forum guru can post a link).

• Options

Yup. Don't stress. Move on to the next one.

• Options
    Yup- just let it go and move on- focus on nailing the next workout. That's the official answer.

Now, unofficially of course, if I were to miss either the Wednesday run OR the Thursday bike I might just squeeze it in on Friday. And if I KNOW I won't be able to do the Tues bike- I might try doing it on Monday and then take Tues as the rest day. But if you "miss" that Tuesday bike- it's really hard to make up and not dig yourself into hole- so just let it go.
  • Options
    Thanks all! I'll move on (usually) and hit the next one.