Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

This week's Storm of the Century

I am sick of the relentless hype of what is, in fact just weather.  Weather has been happening for like, hundreds of years. But this is a full on blizzard here in NoVa, with lots of wind.  What to do, what to do.....?

I'm going to do the bike wko then plunking myself down for a "The Wire-a-thon", starting with season one this afternoon. We'll see how far I get.

Thinking of going a little lite on today's wko, then doing my Tuesday FT retest on Monday seeing as I'll be ready to kill someone by then. Unleash the fury. 

Who's doing what in the snow?

Comments

• Options

Making Chili and Butternut Squash Soup, wrapping presents. Watching IM on TV. Still resting my knee, no biking or running Wish I had a sled!  Looks like good sledding snow. Haven't seen this kind of snow since I was in grad school in CT in 2004. 

• Options

Oooooo Chris, aren't you scared????!!!! I mean, it's going to SNOW! The streets will never be cleared, we'll be trapped in our homes for weeks on end, the bread and milk will run dry, as will water from the tap. OMG, IT'S GOING TO SNOW AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

We truly needed groceries, so we headed out early this morning before the madness. Rode the workout at noon, which was completelyt weird for me. I like being done by 9 on the weekends. Now I'm plunking my butt down for "breakfast" at 2, the cleaning out the mudroom, then watching Kona. Tomorrow I was to be outside romping with the boys and the puppy as much as possible. Notice I am interested in romping, not shoveling. image

• Options

yea but they give each storm a fun little name like "Winter Wallop '09" or if we're lucky maybe "Snow-Nami '09"

it is pretty entertaining to watch the meltdown. as a jersey-ite plunked down in new hampshire I was really picturing people to be winter hardened and unbreakable. Not pre-emptively declaring state of emergencies.

• Options

I need to know if my lobsters are going to make it to Birmingham, AL from Boston though!!!!!!!!

• Options

I get that it is a little bit more than normal weather back East and trust me, I've been through my share of blizzards back in the 50s and 60s when living in Michigan.  My worst nightmare would be snow in Southern California.  Heck, these people out here don't even know how to drive when it sprinkles let alone adding the white stuff!    It would be the equivalent of a demolition derby with over 13 million people involved.  Our rodes would be blocked, but not with snow.  They would be blocked with cars.   Yikes.....just the thought of it!   Sends shivers up my spine.

Keep warm in your pain caves!

• Options

NBC 4 is soliciting nicknames for this storm. The anchors think that "Snow-torious" is brilliant. Auuuuuuuugh!

NBC Kona coverage is being pre-empted for "Snow-torious"? Really?

• Options

"The Capitol Crippler"! Just heard that on the news here in KY - where, by the way, parts of Eastern KY have declared a "state of emergency" due to 8-10" of snow. PUH-LEASE!

• Options

I posted this pic in the lady's forum because some of my EN chicka friends were talking smack on FB about my winter dog-walking burka. Pix or it didn't happen they said. Well, as you can see I am ready for the "Storm of the Century." Bring it on. I ain't 'fraid! 

Here's the the complete wardrobe debriefing:

Fleece shirt

My flannel jammie bottoms

A pair of my boys old snow pants--take a look at the little boy knee wear for a laugh

Patagonia down "sweater"--this is the best thing ever

Marmot winter coat--300 Polartec jacket inside with Gortex over

Fleece next gator

Crazy shearling trapper hat--Nothing penetrates that--no cold, no wind. That thing is lined with like 2" of shearling. Makes my head look like a watermelon, but I do not care.

Shearling mittens--as good as the hat, leaving me with warm hands.

Shearling boots--so warm I do wear them with no socks

I was out with Cali for ~75' at 7 degrees with windchill, and was just as comfy as could be.

Photobucket

• Options

Well, while the rest of you are dealing with snow, we just had to deal with the high winds & water.  So once again, the Sound swelled and the dock made another attempt to get away.  This time the steps were taken out completely, but Joe managed to catch them before they floated away (you can see them on top of the top dock).  I missed the first hour of Ironman Championships on TV because I was busy watching my OWN "Ironman" secure the swim dock- (with  the phone pre-dialed to 911 and ready to go into rescue mode if necessary!)

PS- this was taken from inside the back porch- so you can't hear the wind blowing - but trust me- it was howling!

• Options
    I personally love how everything shuts down before the storm gets here. Last year our kids had two snow days when it didn't actually snow. They said it was going to...but then it didn't or, didn't start until 10am (after drop off time) and meltled pre 4pm (pick up time). We are absolutely much weaker as a society. Wonder what would happen in a crowded mall if you just started yelling "BLIZZARD"...

• Options

Final tally: 20 inches.

I call this one Snow Pope and His Little Buddy, Propane Pope:

• Options

Nemo- Can't see your video. Can you post on something other than FB?

Suzanne- i love the pope! Doggie wants out!

• Options

@linda I showed the picture to my wife and she says ohhh nice pajamas  so you can surmise we do not shop at victoria secrets.

Nemo, you really need to wrangle that dock in for the winter.

Remember people its only snow and eventually it melts.

• Options
    Posted By Michele Cellai on 20 Dec 2009 09:03 AM

Nemo- Can't see your video. Can you post on something other than FB?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=delUnYaTdQk

Sorry about that- I thought the FB link would work.  Try this.

• Options

Nope. Says it's private. Thanks anyway. Hope the fix worked.