Home General Training Discussions
Options

Foot Stress Fracture

Any advice on getting better quickly with a stress fracture to the foot?

Right foot, 2nd metatarsal (sp?). Right now I'm on some NSAID which I disremember the name of, but I was told it's a very good one.

Was told to let pain be my guide as far as running. Right now can't put any pressure on the foot or I get really intense pain. Walking funny to accomodate the stupid thing and hoping the flight surgeon will let me get back to flying next week.

For now, looks like all I can do is pallative, but hoping anyone who's had this or treated it may offer some insights. I saw the flight doc today, but he's definitely not an athlete nor is he an orthopod...not saying he needs to be one, he just may not get my training schedule. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi James,

I had a 4th metatarsal Stress fracture in 2006. It was healed fully in 6.5 weeks.

I was put in a walking boot and that was awesome. I walked as little as possible.
    No NSAIDS- not necessary and contraindicated.
    I used a bone stimulator I borrowed from friend.
    I rode the indoor bike only and no heavy resistance at all, no standing on the pedals. I got strong and fast with frequency and duration with high cadence
    I pool ran 4 days a week
    I NEVER ran until all pain gone

hope that helps

Carrie
  • Options

Thanks Carrie. Based on what you said, probably not going to be able to try for BQ in March . Any idea where to find a bone stimulator?

• Options

What carrie said. I had a 5th metatarsal back in HS. Boot for 8 weeks, eased back into it and fine ever since. Lots of core, light cycling, time to get on the pushup challenge???

• Options
    Hi James,

I would ask your ortho or podiatrist for a referral. It is usually covered when a bone has shown itself to be poorly healing. So you may need to rent unit with cash??

Leigh may have a recommendation of a vedor. Or look online for rental ones.

Carrie
  • Options

I'd call your insurance company first and see if your current plan includes home electrical units...some times they will rent you one, pay for half, etc. If not- ebay or try a durable medical equipment supplier like Alimed.com (I think they run anywhere from $200-1000+ brand new). image

Having had a stress fracture as well. Will agree with the others- let it heal and look into the walking boot option.

• Options

Agree with above....

NO antiinflammatories. (impairs healing)

Tylenol/acetaminophen only.

Extra Calcium/VitD