Home General Training Discussions
Options

Another question re: position on indoor trainer

Hey, team-

I realize there was a previous thread on this topic but just wanted to follow up for some more clarifciation. 

Up until about 5-6 weeks ago I did all my intervals on the trainer in the aero position (train how you race and all that).  Then I did a rep in the upright position (on the hoods) and my numbers jumped about 5-10 watts.  Ever since then I've been doing all my indoor intervals in the up position.  In the middle of an interval whenever I go from the up to the aero position it instantly becomes harder to hold my watts at the same number.  Not sure if it's just harder to breathe in that position or if it's the change in my hip angle or what.

On the previous thread Coach R said don't worry about the position right now and just focus on the watts.  My question is, should I just keep doing all my indoor intervals in the up position until I start riding my tri bike outside again next Spring?  Should I be worried that my watts will drop once I go "back" to training primarily in the aero position?  Or should I do my indoor intervals in the aero position and just "work harder" knowing that I'm training how I'll race?

By way of background, I've had two pro bike fits on my tri bike over the past 18 months and I also was on the bike fit webinar earlier this year.  I've also made multiple minor tweaks to my saddle and bars based on the videos and info on ttbikefit.com to really dial in my position where I feel like it has given me the best combination of aero, comfort and power.  Having my best bike splits ever this season seems to reinforce that my position is pretty solid.  But maybe the dynamics on the indoor trainer are just different than outside? Note: This is my first full EN OS so I don't have any indoor/outdoor EN training history to compare.

Thanks for your input!

-Chris

Comments

• Options

Don't sweat your bike position for now.  Most of us feel more comfortable in aero while riding outside and there seems to be a minority of people who are truely comfortable in the bars on a trainer.

Just focus on getting stronger and pushing more watts.  The fit will still be there when you start to head outside, except you'll now be fast. 

• Options

What Jeff said.

Vince

• Options

I don't have an answer as to why watts might be higher in more upright position while using a trainer. But I do notice differences in my trainer set-up from outdoors: towels on arm rests and aerobars to absorb sweat; different thickness to chamois in shorts; wheel block to elevate front wheel is probably putting me in something other than a 0% grade. Other thoughts: change in position may temporarily recruit different muscle fibers or even groups which are more rested, allowing a surge of effort with no increased RPE.

Since I use a CompuTrainer, and am pushing a preset and unchanging watt level in an interval, I can onlyt follow RPE or HR to see if there is a difference. I don;t notice one. I am one of those who truly feels more comfortable when working hard on the trainer in the aero position on my TT bike, but that may just be due to 10+ years of practice on the same bike. I use the rest periods, WU, and CD to alter my position and get some "relief".

• Options
    From a both a body leverage and a lung expansion point of view an upright position is "more powerful" - my 2 cents
  • Options

Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback, gang.  I think I'll continue doing most of my Z4-5 intervals in the up position and maybe mix in some of the 80-85% stuff in the aero position to keep my muscle memory "aero." 

-Chris

• Options

I agree with Cary and Jeff.  When I had a trainer, areo never felt right as it did outside, probably something to do with leveling.  With rollers now, I don't seem to have that problem, I feel just as good as I do on the road.  But as far as power, sitting up wins, that's why we get out of the aerobars on hard climbs, to breathe and get more leverage.  But, try to stay as aero as you can on your trainer to fulfill the rule specificity, any little bit helps in this sport!

• Options
    Question for OP- you mentions sitting up to the hoods. That implies road bike to me. It's not unusual for clip ons on a bike with drop bars to stretch you out too much and may not be an optimal position for you. I guess hoods can refer to the basebar too but...
  • Options

Yeah,  I was using "hoods" as a euphemism for being on the base bars.  It's a tri/tt set-up. 

Dan, so impressed you feel  comfortable in the aero bars while on rollers.  I think I'd totally freak-out about the possibility of falling over in that position! 

• Options

Well, I do have the back of my couch on one side, and the side of my stairway on the other, took me a while to learn that lesson! 

• Options

I think you get more power sitting upright because, you use more glute muscles and not quite as much quads.  At least when I am aero I use my quads more.   The glutes are the biggests and most powerful muscles in the body.   Therefore more power when they are the primary muscles involved.  This point was brought home to me this off season when I went from riding the tri bike exclusively back to my road bike and noticed I had a sore butt the first week or two.  Now I am actually using both bikes to try and keep both my quads and glutes as strong as possible.