Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Slingbox

Considering getting this so when my wife travels she can access her shows on our DVR while on the road.  Just curious if:

- Anyone has a review of the product based on your experience?

- How well does it work watching live TV and recorded?  Any hanging, etc.?  (I understand the network connection makes the difference, but in general)

- Is it worth it to get the HD product?

- How well does it work via your smartphone (i.e. Blackberry or iPhone)?

- Any other product you would have me look at that does the same thing?

Thanks.

John

Comments

• Options

One problem is that she'll need a beefy internet connection while on the road.  That might not be a problem much of the time, but you're talking 10-15 bucks at some hotels (even if they offer it).

An option is TivoDesktop (if you have Tivo).  The general idea is to record shows, then download them to your computer and you're good to go.  That presumes that she doesn't need to see things recorded WHILE she's on the road.  If you don't have Tivo, there are a couple of other ways to do this kind of recording (Neuros OSD).

m

• Options

John had a slingbox for 2-3 years maybe. Originally got it cause it was easier to run an ethernet cable into the pain cave then coax for a cable box.

I have used it for exactly what you are proposing. Quality in most hotels isn't great but totally acceptable. Your cable (meaning at your house) connection is more important than the hotels (cause you will suck the life out of your upstream connection which is always slower than a hotel's downstream). I have even streamed stuff using a cell/air card. Made watching f1 races while traveling possible while sitting in odd locations around the nation LOL

I wouldn't go for the HD if you are going to be streaming outside your house, you won't get the quality, just won't make a difference.

iPhone app is ok, need wifi and phone gets HOT. But it is a neat gadget but not something I would use as a selling point. Not worth the $30.

One thing I also did was get the netflix streaming going. You can't get it outside the US (well you can, but you need to be a geek to make it work) but it will let you pass lots of time in hotel rooms quickly.

-Dave