Home General Training Discussions
Options

travel and training

hello folks,

i am looking for some advice. i will be traveling abroad from the 9-22 of january and the only leg of the training that i will be able to do is the running . would you have some advice as how to progress/train during these two weeks. i am upset about not being able to bike and swimming is generally not a concern for me. any ideas on sets, etc.? i am currently on the november group.

thanks so much, and i hope you guys are having a good end of the year time training hard and smart.

best,

sandro

Comments

• Options

Hi Sandro!

Rich posted a thread with some basic guidance over here: http://endurancenation.us.dnnmax.co...fault.aspx

I'm in a similar boat- I'll be traveling for a week in Jan with no access to a bike/pool.  So I'm interested to see the feedback you get.

I plan on following the guidance above and going a bit bike heavy the week before I leave (doing the "outside biking" option in the OS that week) and then just doing the regularly scheduled interval runs while I'm away- adding some easy runs on the other days for frequency.  

• Options

Where are you traveling? I have had good luck renting bikes in some locales (particularly in the south) for training. Might not be spot on Z4 for 15 min, etc, but can be a lot of fun. I usually call around to be sure I'm not going to get a left over beach cruiser and make a reservation with a pick-up time, etc. Has worked out well for some nice rides in San Diego, San Francisco, New Orleans, etc. In each place got a reasonable road bike (Specialized Allez) and brought my pedals. 

• Options
    hi nemo and kevin,

thanks for the link/advice. i am going to brazil and i will be staying near some beautiful beaches (just working, but definitely with some time to chill), so nice places to run. if i add run sessions, what intensity am i looking at?

best to you all,

sandro

• Options

Sandro,

when I'm on the road and need to substitute runs for bikes in the plan, I'll go for something like 3 x 1mi at Z4/TP for hard days, and otherwise some Z1 runs to keep up the frequency.

Mike

• Options
    I'm traveling over Xmas and the only access I have is to a treadmill or outside running, so I'm getting in about 1 hour a day. No sense stressing, especially on a family vacation image

tom