Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

taxc trainer, seen it? thoughts?

Has anyone used this or read up on it yet?

Comments

• Options

Tacx is a Dutch manufacturer with mutliple trainer models. I bought one about ten years ago, and just gave it away last week, so I read up on their models while trying to find the user manual online so the lucky recipient could actually use the thing. They have ergo trainers, and magnetic trainers. The ergotrainers provide a head unit which allows one to alter the wattage setings on the fly. But they do not seem to have software which provides for transfer of data to a computer; nor do they advertise the calculation of normalized power. If you want this functionality, and are willing to spend $1500, a CompuTrainer is another choice which does allow data transfer into WKO+, for ease of analysis and deterination of NP

Tacx also sells magnetic trainers, which change the resistence depending on how hard/fast one is pedaling, and the gear one is in. This would be useful if one already has an on-board power meter, like PowerTap or Quarq or SRM.

One thing I DID like about the unit: the stand itself was very high quality, and easy to use. much more so than the clunky CompuTrainer unit. I used my unit for about 8 years, and apart from attracting cobwebs since I bought the CT two years ago, it showed no real signs of age. It is VERY easy to set up, place and remove bike, and put away, much more so than my CT. I was very happy with it for the eight years I used it, and it helped me manage my workouts before I came to EN. I would not recommend the Ergo trainers (Flow, Cosmos) for use by  an EN Power athlete, though, unless there is a way to transfer data into analysis software.

Nonetheless, Fabian Cancellera uses one, so it must be good:

http://www.tacx.com/producten/ergotrainers/index.dot

• Options

Thanks for the input