Home General Training Discussions
Options

Shorts for Bike Training

Hey Team!

I know it is a matter of personal preference but I want the team's opinion anyway...

What brand of cycling shorts do you use during your training?  Do you use cycling shorts or tri shorts?  Anyone used any of the sponsors (Rudy Project, Zoot, DeSoto, 110%) brands of shorts?  Love 'em?  Hate 'em?

Comments

• Options
    De Soto 400 Mile shorts - also use the Forza Tri Bibs for training and racing
  • Options
    Definitely a highly subjective topic, but if you do a large enough sample either here or on other internet forums you'll begin to see some trends emerge.

As far as the tri vs cycling short debate, I basically do all of my riding on my road bike in road shorts and all of my riding on my tri bike in tri shorts, including training. When it comes to tri shorts, I fall heavily into the DeSoto camp, which is clearly one of the most preferred brands among triathletes based on sheer numbers. My favorite shorts personally are the DeSoto Forza 4-pocket, but again that's subjective. I don't like much/any pad in my tri shorts, it annoys me on the run.

For cycling, the DeSoto 400 mile bibs are great, but there are too many brands and options for me to even count let alone tell you what I think is the best. Instead, I'll just offer the generic advice that if you haven't tried bibs, try them.
  • Options

I have the Desoto 400 mile bike bibs and the forza riviera tri shorts.  Both are very comfortable and seem pretty much bulletproof.  Much more comfortable than any of the other shorts I' ve tried.

• Options
    I was a Sugoi boy for many years (50% discount as a Brand Ambassador) up until EN got us a discount with DeSoto. I tried a pair of DeSoto bibs, then fully switched over. All cycling bibs and tri shorts are now DeSoto.
    I believe EN still has a 25% discount with DeSoto (thanks Coach R!), but I actually get 40% off with a USAT Coaching discount - which makes it even more appealing to me!

I'm pretty much with Trevor on what he uses.
    Road bike outside: 400 mile bibs
    Road bike inside (stationary): forza tri shorts
    Tri bike inside and outside: forza
    Swimming: forza
    running: forza
    weights/gym: forza with regular gym shorts over
  • Options

Desoto.    Bibs.

400 mile for training.

Tri version for racing.

• Options
    Desoto Riviera
  • Options

Desoto all the way.  400 Mile for road bike, Tri shorts and Tri bibs for tri bike.  Always use the tri bibs for racing.  I love the 4 pocket version.

• Options
    Desoto is okay up to 150 miles or so, then I have to break out the big dogs. Assos Mille bibs are good up to 250 miles. Over that, it's all Rapha; these bibs have seen me through 750 milers.
  • Options
    Capo kits for cycling. Tri shorts are either Voler (local club kit) or with EN I Pearll. They all seem the same to me, but based on this thread, I will order some desoto love....
  • Options
    Posted By Bill Russell on 18 Oct 2012 07:34 PM

Desoto is okay up to 150 miles or so, then I have to break out the big dogs. Assos Mille bibs are good up to 250 miles. Over that, it's all Rapha; these bibs have seen me through 750 milers.

250 miles? 750 miles? In how many days we talking about here?

• Options
    Posted By Trevor Garson on 18 Oct 2012 08:40 PM
    Posted By Bill Russell on 18 Oct 2012 07:34 PM

250 miles? 750 miles? In how many days we talking about here?

250s are 20 hours or less; my personal best is 16:00 flat. 

I had a great triumph at the 375(600k) distance in June this year: never faltering, on task, never in deep distress. I wound up setting a 1:15 PB, setting a new course record, being first finisher. Finished in 27:33. I was pumped!

I still haven't gotten a handle on the 750 mile (1200k) distance. I managed to squeak out an 89:17 last year at Paris-Brest-Paris, and that was an agony of delerium and doubt. I toed the line at the Last Chance 1200k in September, only to miss a time cut-off after 72 hours, after 600 miles. The first day ate us all up: 251 miles into driving rain, decreasing temps, and 15-20mph headwinds set the stage for deep distress. During that third night I could ride 5-6 miles then have to lay down by the side of the highway for a short, shivering nap. Lovely. Power output was down to 35-45% of FTP. That, and being in the middle of a 110 mile section where there was no support, or possibility of support, made for rough going. 

Also: chamois cream needs change during long rides. Most of us have gravitated to Lantiseptic, a gift from God. 

• Options
    That's crazy Bill. I didn't really comment too much in terms of bibs because there are so many options out there for high end bibs, including the aforementioned Assos and Rapha bibs that have always boggled my mind in terms of price tag, but I assume there has to be some market for them or they wouldn't exist.

Didn't realize that you were so involved with randonneuring, a fascinating topic to me, but something that I've never attempted.
  • Options
    You're nuts Bill! And I thought the Leadman 250 bike leg was crazy at 223k!

Anyway, so DeSoto is really that good huh? Looks like I will have to grab a pair of bibs and try them out!

Thanks everybody
  • Options
    How do folks race in bibs? What if you have to take a crap?
  • Options
    I can't speak to the crapping thing but I tried racing in a bib once and the shoulder straps annoyed the hell out of me on both the swim and run.
  • Options

Andy,

I like a minimalist for the amount of padding that I use even up to IM distance.  I used the Desoto Forza with 4 pockets so I had placed to stuff things like salt tab, and gel bottles.  They worked great for me. 

I'm always in tri shorts.

Gordon

• Options
    I am in on the Desoto's. I just ordered a pair. Must be something to it if everyone is doing it... image
  • Options
    I train in tri shorts, pretty much any brand. I have had good luck with Zoot in terms of the shorts not wearing out over a long period of time.
  • Options

John Cobb just posted on ST that a standard pair of tri shorts works best with his saddles (for those that use a Cobb saddle). I think that applies to the Adamo saddles as well as they're similar in design.

I 100% agree that bike shorts cause more problems with the Cobb or Adamo type saddles.

• Options
    Posted By Bob McCallum on 21 Oct 2012 09:40 AM

John Cobb just posted on ST that a standard pair of tri shorts works best with his saddles (for those that use a Cobb saddle). I think that applies to the Adamo saddles as well as they're similar in design.

I 100% agree that bike shorts cause more problems with the Cobb or Adamo type saddles.

Agreed, and yeah that is one of those elements that makes it difficult to take other people's advice. I do near 100% of riding on my tri bike in tri shorts, but I have a Cobb V-flow max and I don't find it really any more comfortable in bike shorts. If I had a different saddle, I may have a different opinion.

As for racing in bibs, DeSoto makes a tri bib which has becoem quite popular, however I personally do not like bibs for triathlon, at least not for racing. The entire point of a bib is to keep the pad tightly flush against your nether region to prevent extra friction. Accordingly, a design element that is purpose built to address the butt-seat interface doesn't serve any purpose on the run, and in fact for me it actually bothers me on the run because it partly feels like you have a perpetual wedgie.

• Options
    Posted By Trevor Garson on 18 Oct 2012 03:13 PM

...As far as the tri vs cycling short debate, I basically do all of my riding on my road bike in road shorts and all of my riding on my tri bike in tri shorts, including training. When it comes to tri shorts, I fall heavily into the DeSoto camp, which is clearly one of the most preferred brands among triathletes based on sheer numbers. My favorite shorts personally are the DeSoto Forza 4-pocket, but again that's subjective. I don't like much/any pad in my tri shorts, it annoys me on the run.

...I'll just offer the generic advice that if you haven't tried bibs, try them.

+ 1 on DeSoto Forza tri bibs; when on the road bike, though, extra padding is needed as Trevor says. When in the TT Bike aero position, extra padding WILL cause chafing, while the thinner tri pads, much less so.

• Options
    Posted By Woody Freese on 19 Oct 2012 10:27 PM

How do folks race in bibs? What if you have to take a crap?

Ask your wife to show you how to take a bra off with removing her shirt ... the same concept works for bibs. I wore them in the last race (you remember, the one we did last week?), and stopped in the can at least 5 times, one each in transition and two on the bike. The process, taking down one shoulder strap is all that's needed, adds maybe ten seconds. Then, for the run, I drop both down and run as if they were shorts.

• Options
    I bike train almost exclusively in Bibs because I found that they pretty much solve my chafing/sores problems relative to non bibs. I pull out the tri shorts on race day and it hasn't been an issue. In training, my number one goal is not to get chafing or saddle sores.
  • Options
    Al- Your method of bibs on the bike and then pulling off the straps and running with them like they were normal shorts is interesting. Any reason you do this versus completely changing in transition in IM races? Time? Comfort? Do the straps ever get in the way when running/do you look like a crazy person?

I have had chafing/saddle sore/general comfort problems in the past and am definitely looking at tri bibs as a solution! Thanks everyone!
  • Options

@ Andy - Why do it? Multiple reasons. The DeSoto Forza tri bibs have super strong fabric which goes all the way down to the tops of my knees. They compress the thigh muscles and help retard pain in the quads. And, yes, I see little reason to waste time in T2 during an IM.

Do they straps get in the way when running? I often run with the straps up, in the usual position, when doing bricks in cooler (less than 70F) weather, or down in warmer weather. In neither oposition do I even notice them, anymore than I would notice  belt I use for the race number, and less than I notice an HR strap. 

Do I look foolish? In my finish line photos, you have to look very carefully to see the straps at all - they don't flop around, but can be placed under the number belt is that's a concern.

Besides, Coach R races this way was well (at least I think he did @ IM Wisconsin last year), so it has the official EN stamp of coolness.

• Options
    x3+ on the DeSoto tri bib shorts.

I bought a pair last year and have never looked back. I just really like the way bibs feel while on the bike - it may be mostly mental but I feel sleeker.

I also follow Al T's process on running with them.
  • Options

Yes I just drop the bib straps if too hot.    Tuck them in.     Yes keep them on for the time and like the thigh and lower body support.   I am wearing them with the straps hanging for my profile picture.

• Options
    Two questions, if anyone is still listening to this thread... looking at the desoto site and its time to gear up ... I only ride TT so I'm going for a thin pad ...
    (1) tri bibs or tri suit or tri shorts? (races for the foreseeable future are fresh-water HIM, and I'm MOP and don't need to look like Eric Heiden but I like efficiency and a good fit...)
    (2) how do I get the desoto discount code, and how much is the discount?
    Thanks!
  • Options

1. That's personal preference. I prefer bib shorts nowadays, never shorts, for training or HIM. For Oly and maybe HIM, though, I'll use a trisuit. The trisuit also works as an additional upper layer on cooler days. Always a thin pad on TT bike. I have five DeSoto tri suits, three bibs with thin pads, and one with thick (for road biking). None have worn out yet, oldest is 9 years.

2. Discount codes are in the first (pinned) thread in the Gear Forum. The DeSoto code listed there worked for me last week when I bought a wet suit top.