Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Tim Cronk IMCZ Race Plan

50yrs old.  2 years EN under my belt . IMCZ will be 5th IM and 2nd this year with the first being IMMT @ 10:33 a PR over last years IMFL @ 10:37.  Vdot 51.6 recently confirmed on a HM PR.  FTP 230 last confirmed outside on 8/29.  I recently tested indoors (via the new test) @ FTP 221.  I adjusted indoor intervals based off FTP 221 , but kept  outside rides based off FTP 230.  Recently rode a HIM bike split at NP198 , IF .86 and ran a PR.  So I am sticking with the 230 and feel it is valid. Bouncing around 120lbs right now and will most likely check in on race day under 120 getting me up around 4.3 w/kg.

Goal- I'd be lying if I didnt say it.  KQ.  There I said it.  Is it really possible?  Yes!  I'm a lean, mean , EN racing machine , and I believe!  What do I need? Probably 10:15 or less for a top 3 spot in the 50-54AG (assuming 3 spots).  Reality is that its a flat, fast course , no friend to a lightweight like me. I think I can and that is what makes it possible. I am fitter, faster, and a smarter racer than ever.  I will not be stupid. I will S/B/R according to plan. 

Swim- Goal 1:10 or less.  Last RR in the pool was 1:09:15.  Last 2 IM's w/wetsuit just under 1:06. IMCZ is a no wetsuit saltwater swim, currents, tides, winds are all unknown.

T1- Goal 4min  .  Apparently T1 is 200meters from swim exit.  Looking at T1 splits from last year and not many get down to 4 min but close.

Bike- Goal 5:15 or less- The real goal and the plan is to ride NP170 , IF .74.   Last year rode IMFL  at NP165 , IF .75 and ran well.  This year rode IMMT at NP167 , IF .73 and ran well.  The 5:15 goal time is just a wag off my IMFL split of 5:21 on less watts.  Steady, even , aero is the plan.

T2- Goal 2min. Slow is fast, socks, shoes, go with visor, flask, in hands.

Run- Goal 3:45 or less.  The calculator says my best IM marathon est. is 3:38.  Since I ran 3:51 at IMMT, 3:45 seems realistic.  Run/walk strategy of 30 steps per mile(although it maybe every 2k based on aid stations) and an even pace through out .  There will be no stopping like other IM's I have done. I will do my busines while moving within reason.  Yes I will race starting at mile 18-20.

Totals -add up to 10:16. So while I believe the math and reasoning makes sense and is within reach its still a whopping 17 minute PR and by no means guarantee's a top 3 or a slot.  Lots can go wrong with currents, tides, winds, heat and humidity.  But alot could go right as well. Just like all IM's accross the country the times in AG just keep getting faster so who even know's what the top 3 times will be? I certainly feel silly even putting this out there but it will help me be accountable to myself from now until race day!

Misc- arriving on tuesday with enough time to acclimate a little, check out the course with a 1 loop ride , and some tapering. My girlfriend Heather will be arriving on friday and traveling back with me on tuesday after.

Nutrition- Pretty easy and wont go over all of it unless anyone asks but, low fiber carbo loading for 1.5 days, low fiber breakfast on race day , 1 gel and perform pre-swim, bike all perform or gatorade fluids with waffles and margarita blocks wrapped in rice paper 250-260 cals per hour and saltstick, the run  hand held flask with salt stick and powerbar gels and gatorade every aid station , when flask runs out at 18-21miles go to coke , again 250-260 cals per hour.

Gear-  Swim in Blueseventy Trisuit and keep it on for entire race. I tried this out at Rev3 Half and liked it. I know its not EN but will wear my visor on the run.  Bike no discs allowed so running reynolds carbon clincher 46/66 on FeltDA2.

Questions, comments , suggestions are all very welcome!    Besides the obvious to go read Dave Tallo's race plan 10 more times.

Comments

• Options

Will be fun to watch you from afar on the day.

Sounds like you are ready to make it happen.       

And it will.  

• Options
    120 lbs ... Wow! Yes, it all sounds very doable, but be ready to scale it back if it is particularly windy on the bike or especially hot and humid. I.e., go for the KQ not the time goal. Execute well and you could get both. And try not to beat me by more than an hour!
  • Options

By citing my name in your plan, you have effectively smoked me out. Nicely played, sir!

My reflections:

- You’ve put it out there - KQ! It’s a fantastic goal, and you wouldn’t have written it if you didn’t think it was possible. What I’m getting at is you have a huge amount of fitness that’s giving you a right amount of confidence to make that statement … and your task is to now carry that into the race. When that confidence gets jostled and shoved around over the course of the day or week, keep it on hand. From Gordo: “Be your goal.” For race week, the last 8mi, or any time you need to call on some mental strength and grounding, it’s there. You said it. You wouldn’t have put it out there if you didn’t think you could do it. KQ. Putting that out there is BIG, and congrats on being at a point in this game where this is something that’s within your reach.

- Moving from PB to KQ is a slightly different mental game, but the basics remain. Your execution has to absolutely positively trump any temptation to ‘race,’ so get prepared to draw on it, and keep coming back to that confidence in your abilities BY FOLLOWING THE EN EXECUTION MODEL. When you invariably see another 50-55 on the calf pass you in the first 20 miles of the bike, or the first mile of the run, go back to basics. Your EN execution fundamentals work, but it’s very easy to get caught up in other racey stuff when in the fog of war. Don’t.

- Get prepared to be very very aero for the entire bike. If there have been tough spots in your RRs or previous races – such as hour 3.5, mile 100, or whatever - where you start to mentally or physically drop off, or your position falters, prepare for them, and make sure you have the mental strategies in place to get through them while staying low.

- As for light weight: that’s the stuff that gives you competitive advantage across the whole day. I’m reminded of how amazed I was when Dr. Tommy beat Tjorborn Sinballe in IMFL on the bike, and went on for the overall win. I never imagined anyone could beat Thunderbear on the bike, particularly on that course, but that’s what a great position, smart execution and a high w/kg can do.

- Your mental game has to be as strong as possible for this day. Going through the steps of actually writing your plan was critical: R and P ask us to do that for a reason, and now that you’ve gone through the cognitive process of penning it to paper, you should accompany it by running the race day script over in your mind again and again, forwards, backwards and in 3d. Visualize good stuff. Run it like a film. Visualize yourself as positive, light, fast and clear-headed. Run through a few mental rehearsals of how you would react if you punctured, or cramped in mile 25 of the run, or whatever (calm, I hope, then figuring it out, OODA. You know the drill). Seriously - put yourself in the day in your mind many many times before the race, particularly the hard parts, and visualize the response that is going to let you keep on keeping on. (rituals: I do this mental film exercise daily in the sauna in the two week before a race; then again, as soon as the plane takes off en route to the race; and then every day in the hotel before lunch when I’m at the race and have seen the course in real life).

- Your mental game has to be particularly strong for the last 8. Be prepared to bury yourself. Because you’re very motivated, you’ll be pushing yourself very hard. It will be dark. Make sure you have tangible strategies you can call upon. (crazy self-disclosure: I have recently been trying to develop a specific “Mental Toughness” strategy. When things have been tough in training sessions, I have been mentally flashing the actual words “mental toughness” in my mind, with the words all lit up in lightbulbs. If you’ve seen the movie Boogie Nights, kind of like “Dirk Diggler” lights up when he coins the name. Anyhow, I then tried to pair this image with an immediate reaction and response where I focus on relaxing the muscles in my face, concentrate on form, and keep pace. These little mental fugues take me away from immediate discomfort, and the physical responses are now starting to become more automatic the more I rehearse this. It doesn’t make it suck less, but it makes it easier to live with the suck for just a few more minutes. Your mileage may vary.)

- For the flight over, download and read Rich’s earlier post (blog?) about ‘racing in the moment.’ This is particularly important for someone who is bringing a goal orientation to race day.

- There’s no amount of training that you can do at this point that will make a difference. Except transitions. Aside from the long 200m dash from Beach to Battle that you talk about, you should be trying to achieve the fastest possible transition, and using this as a very deliberate competitive advantage. I would:

o Re-read Al’s transitions compendium in the wiki;

o While you’re killing time in the airport, watch as many “how to transition fast” instructional videos on youtube;

o When you are onsite solo from Tues – Fri, practice your transition skills a few times until they are perfected (up to the point that it does not impact rest, of course). Set up a mini circuit; repeat, repeat, repeat.

o Later in the day of bike drop off, and after you have walked through the transitions (and yes, I mean *actually* walking from the beach through the tent to your bike to bike exit, following the exact paths you would follow on race day, and not just looking at it from when you are racked to get oriented), run through the t1/t2 paths mentally, and run the mental film of you doing the entire ts very fast, calmly, and efficiently.    

- You can do this.   

• Options

Tim,

Some great points by Dave.  I'll only add on the 'Gear' side.  Do you intend to use an aero helmet? 

Execute and I agree that you have no reason to fell silly by putting the KQ out there.  Go get it.

Gordon

• Options
    On the same point as Gordon's: you'll be using a swimskin, right? Loosely quoting Rich, "once you get to Varsity, details matter."
  • Options
    @Robin- Thanks bigman! And I'll be watching IMAZ all day! Go get em.

@Paul- I promise to race smart, ride my watts, run my pace, respect the condition! I've seen your times. Glad your not in my AG.

@Dave- Thank You for a very thorough , thought out response to my Race Plan. I will re-read it several times as well as your race plan and implement practice many of your pointers. It got me pumped! I won't be wearing a swimskin but a trisuit from blueseventy http://www.blueseventy.com/collections/2011-tri-apparel-1/products/mens-tx2000-tri-suit I tried the liftfoil from DeSoto and didnt like the pad (too big). This one I like and simplifies T1 bigtime. Thanks again for your time and motivation!

@Gordon - Yes on the aero helmet "Rudy Wingspan". Only question is whether to use the vent or not. Will look at temps on the day.

• Options
    Oh and Dave, Good Skill at IMAZ!
  • Options
    Tim - here's how I see it if we both execute our game plans and I don't blow up. You are going to come out of the water first but I might catch you before the bike is over. You are going to blow by me on the run. I hope to break 11 hrs, but not by much. It really depends on how I feel and the conditions of the day. Guess I better follow Dave's transition advice also!
  • Options
    I'll be coming out of the water when you are done with one loop of the bike!! Great write up.
  • Options

It's awesome to see Dave and Tim's posts together in this thread. The growth, evolution and understanding they reflect are self reinforcing. I have little to add to what Dave says, it's all in there.

Specifics:

• Err on the side of less rather than more next week - very easy to over cook during that time frame, as your fitness is sky high. It will stay up there without big days or pushes.
    • Stay calm and generally out of sight once you get down there.
    • Stay low no matter what on the bike.
    • On the run, don't make any sudden changes in pacing (despite my example in several recent races - I only started doing that after I'd won a few already). Give it a slow but steady build up in the second half. You'll find yourself like the boiling frog - by the time you are working too hard, it'll be too late to stop.

General:

• Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success. You are in the virtuous upward spiral right now, don't let negative thoughts intrude.
    • Throughout the day, it's process, process, process.
    • You are a machine.

Finally, as long as you've followed your process goals to the max, the outcome will be rewarding, no matter your time or place. I used to try and deflect people who wished me luck, but I learned, that after all is said and done, that's all I have left to add to your mix

Good luck.

• Options
    Wow, awesome thread here and great reading...very little for me to add other than in IMCOZ your day is made on the bike and confirmed on the run. It's hilly and windy so ride SMART and AERO and STEADY, EATING all the way...and then get ready to work that run cuz you will be suffering out there. Definitely think of how to manage heat / need for extra salt as you sweat in that heat!
  • Options
    @Al - Thanks for you comments and kind words.

Less is more- Got it. Already cutting intervals down a couple minutes extra and doing the lower % of the ranges.
    Stay Calm- for some reason never an issue for me with exception of beginning of swim- definitely laying low.
    Aero and Low- No matter what and specially into the wind.
    Run- I have pace but always checking RPE.

@Al and Dave I will have your words in my head all day!

@P- you got the wind but its FLAT as a pancake!
  • Options
    Smart thread Tim, and wow way to put your perspective out there. Pound for pound and age to age your one of the fittiest guys and smarts on the block. Awesome play on Dave. How would you know he was lurking! To call him out just added to your toolbox of success with your mental state and Daves mental imagery being bang on. Seeing you race in IMMT and reading your many race and trg reports has been insightful for me. Your plan is yours and and as you say "doable" Stay focused and the day and i is yours! In all this I have nothing to add to your day but just only I a fan! :0 image!
  • Options
    @Steve- Thanks for the kind words. You and Brenda are class acts and raise the quality level of EN astronomically.
  • Options

Wow, great reading!   Learned a lot and will incorporate it into my race plan. 

• Options
    Only thing I,d say besides, "Good Luck" is a nutrition thought. Was your nutrition plan @Coz different than your previous successful IMs? If so, should you revert to those plans? If not consider the total amount of calories you may be taking on the run if you guzzle perform 8-10 oz @every aid station. 70 cal/ 8 oz. That plus 100 cal gel/ hour @ 7-8 mph would be over 500 cal per hour.