Home General Training Discussions
Options

Recreational Sugar

Comments

• Options
    I made a sweet and sour eggplant dish last night for dinner and had forgotten that the dish had maple syrup in them, so I opted out of eating it and gave it all to Steve (one of his fav dishes) and I had a huge serving of raw kale that had been tossed in oil/vinegar and dusted with salt. I love raw kale. We paired it with a white fish and some roasted veggies which are sweet in their own right. Not missing recreational sugar at all. Kinda weird, and this might be TMI, but I made it through my tough monthly cycle without eating any recreational sugar - that is a success in its own right.
  • Options

+1 on what Brian said. Too much of everything is just enough!

• Options
    @Brenda.... sweet and sour eggplant sounds awesome... recipe por favor?
  • Options
    The past two days have been a definite reminder of that whole no self control thing. I was just going to have a spoonful of ice cream (after a successful 2 weeks sugar free)... and now I've consumed far more of the stuff than any person should in a 24 hr period. Oops. Definitely lesson learned, must just say no.
  • Options
    Rachel - lol. That's why I never tried hard drugs. What happens if I liked it? That's the approach I use with dessert. Why try it if I will like it. Haha.
  • Options
    It's amazing how many times I've dodged a bullet because of the recreational sugar vow. I use this along with my special diet that's going to get me to race weight by May. It's so easy to pack in 250-500 calories with just a couple bites here and there. Last night I avoided chocolate covered pretzels and milk chocolate ornaments wrapped in gold foil because of my pledge. People all around me were pounding them down like there was no tomorrow. In my pea brain I'm looking around me and thinking, "do you have any idea how many calories you just consumed?" I did, however, see my hand reaching for the sweet potato chips more than I wanted. But it could have been worse--much worse.

Anything made with eggplant should be allowed because the eggplant makes it gross:-D.
  • Options
    Steve - wash your mouth out with soap. Eggplant rocks. In all honesty, my husband never used to be a fan of eggplant, but then I made him eggplant parm and that changed his mind but if you put bread crumbs, cheese and tomatoe sauce on most things, they will taste good, but this was the intro, then I made the sweet and sour eggplant and it rocked and the egg plant parm is now reserved for special occasions. I have given Tim the recipe. If he likes it maybe he will give it a review and you will try it?
  • Options
    John et al-
    This is an awesome thread.
    Reminds me: a few years ago I went on an ultra low carb diet with my DH to support him in his weight loss effort and this was his choice. I easily lost 5 lbs, but also had zero power to exercise. I ended up adding back fruit and sports drink near workout times in order to survive.

Hi! My name is Michele and I am a sugar addict. I have been on and off the wagon for many years. I am hoping that this program gives me the framework I need to make a permanent change in my life and my relationship with recreational sugar.

I am an all or nothing addict as well. I do well with a firm set of rules. So it's a good thing that I finished the cheesecake last night and the work candy this afternoon. But I can not wait to workout tomorrow so I can have chocolate milk afterwards. :-)
  • Options
    I pretty much kept the pledge during my travels, which is no easy deal. Being away from my fridge where the good stuff is stored makes eating right much more challenging. I did eat the caramelized sugar ornament off the top of my cheese cake during a lunch (did not eat the cheese cake). It was made of caramelized sugar and peanuts. It was just token sugar. I hope you guys won't throw me out of the club.
  • Options
    So interesting. I have been off the sauce for almost a month now and I do not crave sugar at all.
  • Options
    B- I've had an interesting progression with my cravings or lack there of.

The first yr (March-Aug of '11), the first 10 days were hell and after 30 days I felt no cravings at all.

The 2nd yr (Jan-Aug of '12) The first 5-7 days were hard and then after 2 weeks, no cravings.

This 3rd yr (Jan-?? of '13) I felt no cravings at all. Not even on day 1. It's almost like my body (or my mind) has learned the drill and the switch was just so much easier to flip to off this time.
  • Options
    I have never had a huge sweet tooth, but after the end of my tri season in September, I wasn't eating the healthiest and it really took a turn for the worse after the holidays. Inspired by the recent threads by John and Tim (3 days of smoothies), I have kick-started a re-focus on eating healthy. It's the first time I've consciously cut processed sugar out of my diet, although compared to many I didn't eat much of it before. Regardless, I am more aware of it and have made it to day 12 and about 2lbs lighter. I have significantly increased my fruit and veggie intake with smoothies and whole foods which has been great in the way I feel. I do feel like I'm dragging towards the end of my work day, which is when I would previously grab a Luna bar and be ok for another couple hours. I have finally tried Tim's recommendation on the dates and almond butter and it is truly amazing. That is now my go-to afternoon snack. While I haven't gone completely gluten-free (pasta, oatmeal and the occasional crackers are my downfall), I have definitely cut it way down, and I feel so much better for hours after eating the dates rather than crackers. I am concerned some days I'm not getting in enough calories, but I think that's a matter of planning ahead better and having more than just fruit on hand...sometimes you need something more substantial.

I think they say it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. While I don't typically eat that unhealthy, I feel better than I have in a long time just sticking to a vegetarian diet. I hope to continue with everyone for at least another couple months without sugar and perhaps take more and more wheat out of my diet.

It's great to hear how everyone is doing!
  • Options

Ok.  Inspired.  Just tossed the cookie on my plate into the trash.  Don't need it.  Thanks - for the inspiration, and also for not making jokes about me tossing my cookies.

• Options
    Hahaha Russell! Good job!

OK - I admit... I am/was more addicted to sugar than I realized. I'm on Day Five Recreational Sugar Free. And today sucks (even worse than Day Three when I went to Target and faced the candy aisle and my favorite Mint M&M's head on). But I really, REALLY do not want to start all over again! According to JW, I have ~5 more days... and I recently read that taking 1000-2000mg of L-Glutamine every few hours can help with cravings - so I'll be buying that in bulk tomorrow.
  • Options
    really - L-Glutamine. Interesting.
  • Options
    FWIW, my afternoon go to snack has been mixed nuts with some raisins mixed in. High in calories, but I think the good fats I get make it well worth it...
  • Options

@Brenda:  Just thought it was funny; "off the sauce..." but the Ice Cream TT in the sig line. 

• Options

Question:  I am intrigued by thias as I tend to snack alot.  One of my go-tos is target mixed almonds, cashews and cranberries.  But, the cranberries are "sweetened."  If I try this, "no recreational sugar" wold I also eliminate the mix?

• Options
    Can't believe I've missed this thread until now. Loving it. Thanks John for sharing. I am right there with you. Went off the "recreational sugars" full-time on January 1. Had been off them for two weeks before, with the exception of Christmas Eve and NYE when I had a little cake and ice cream. In my world though, I can't have just a "little bit" without wanting to go hog wild the next day. By a few days into January I had lost my "sweet tooth."

Sunday we had a family birthday celebration with lots of yummy foods that don't fit into the "recreational sugar" ban rule. I thought I don't want to appear like the crazy triathlete who doesn't eat anything that's bad for me, so I'll have one slice. My old taste buds would have loved the cake. My new ones, didn't like it. Had a few bites, but that was enough for my body to crave sugar on Monday. Monday and Tuesday were really tough, but by Wednesday all was good. (I won't even get into how bad my gut ached from the gluten...that's for another tread.)

David, my old go-to mix was almonds, walnuts, pecans, and golden raisins. I just ditched the golden raisins, and I actually eat less of the mix now. Crazy how that works.

Knowing that so many of you are dealing with the same issue, and seeing things like Dino's with sugar/without sugar photos, really helps a girl stay on track.
  • Options
    @David-- I believe that each of us should make our own rules about what does and does not count, that way they are easier to follow. But you asked, so here's "my" rule about things like that...

I add dried cranberries to my salads without an ounce of remorse. If it's a regular natural reasonably healthy food, I'm generally okay with it. However, I won't eat "sweetened" or "candied" fruit. Most of the "dried fruit" you can buy in a store is loaded with sugar before it is dried, so that it practically tastes like candy and I would personally count those as "Recreational Sugar". So if your cranberries are just "dried" I would eat them without remorse. However if they are "Sweetened" I would personally not eat them. One of my go to afternoon snacks is a nut mix with almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and Brazilnuts that I throw a handful of raisins into. I like mixing salty and sweet and I am totally fine eating raisins.

At work, they sometimes put out a mixed nut trail mix with raisins and cranberries that also has mini chocolate chips in it. I will take a bowl of that and pick out the chocolate chips and throw them away as I eat the rest. I consider that a mental win each time...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reinforcement John. Like so many others, I am using this thread as motivation and inspiration!
  • Options
    Looking at the dried fruit in my pantry. ingredients listed below.

Dates- -Dates
    Apple rings- Apples
    Raisins--Raisins and sulfur dioxide
    Blueberries- Blueberries, Sugar, sunflower oil
    Cranberries- Cranberries, Sugar, Sunflower oil (I know Whole Foods Market carries cranberries that are sweetened with apple juice)

I eat em all but obviously the ones with the least amount added are better.....

2 Dates with some pecan halfs and coffee pre-ride this am , post ride, bowl of oatmeal, apple-rings,cinnamon, chia seed, hemp seed,coconut,and flax, soaked in almond milk overnight plenty sweet enough and no sugar added.
  • Options
    In the battle of man vs recreational sugar. Man wins (at least for January). As with my prior comment, I need to be at 0% or 100% with diet. I even stopped the 85% cacao chocolate I would eat. I still have my favorite paleo dessert treat occasionally which is frozen banana slices + trader joe's raw unsalted almond butter + walnuts + drizzle of honey. YUM.
  • Options
    @Brian - sounds DELICIOUS!

We have a Yonanans frozen "yogurt" maker (http://www.yonanas.com/) that makes some great frozen dessert from frozen bananas and any other frozen fruit - peaches are one of my favorites.

Like Tim, I LOVE dates. I also love dried no-sugar added mangos. When I decided on my "rules," I figured it was best to make both off limits for at least the first few days until I know I can keep my insulin levels stable. I figure I'll eventually add them back to my diet and see how it goes, but until I know how I'll handle spikes in insulin and how these spikes will affect my sugar cravings, I thought it might be best not to eat anything - natural or otherwise - that is so high in sugar (medjool dates have 29g/2 dates, my dried mangos have 21g/6 slices - no wonder they're delicious!). Hopefully, when I've stabilized I'll be able to add them back in. In the end, I definitely prefer something naturally sweet that provides fiber, potassium, and minerals as opposed to something processed and high in refined sugars. The term "Recreational Sugar" originally referred to these highly processed foods that contain refined sugars, but like John said, it can mean whatever you want (or need!) it to mean!
  • Options
    I'm a lurker on this thread for sure. I think I check in on it almost daily. Keep the motivation and suggestions coming! I'm not ready to run after the wagon, throw a leg over the horse, and pull the reins to slow it down long enough for me to jump on with the rest of you sugar-banned people, but I'm seriously considering it. The gluten thing? I'm OK with gluten. I like oatmeal. And I'm Italian, so swearing off pasta will NEVER happen (don't worry, Nonna... EN non togliere la mia pasta!), but the sugar thing for sure is an issue 'round my house.
    I like hearing the positive changes you've all seen....I'm about 95% convinced to start a no-sugar-focus-block. Is that in the training drop-down menu?
  • Options
    "My wife uses a great saying, " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!"

My Grandmother always used to say "a moment on the lips, forever on the hips"

So true. I have a big sweet tooth too but I just don't eat it.... usuallly. I may need the hard and fast rules (ie "I will NOT eat one Munchkin each time I pass the box") Kind of like a reverse toll when they are in the office.

And John I think you DO have will power!
  • Options
    So I'm off the Recreational Sugar. And I'm off the Gluten... But the Superbowl is coming up so I give you: http://omissionbeer.com/
  • Options
    I'd like to formally welcome Kori Martini to the "No Recreational Sugar" Club... Kori has finally committed to me in private, but I think it would be helpful for all of us here to support her in this big step.

Kori, I think we should agree that whichever one of us gets out of the med tent first at IMUSA should deliver a chocolate chip cookie to the other one as our first piece of recreational sugar... What do ya think?
  • Options
    Can i join too?

i have only been eating sweet stuff on a Friday for 10 weeks. i've lost loads of fat< i have been justifying it with if i eat it once a week i wont go mad and eat my own body weight is junk some day soon.

i do want to loose 6 more lbs and i do want to run faster,

• Options

Dawson--   All are welcome in this club!