Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Anyone love their trainer??

I'm giving up on my blackburn ultra trainer - keeps locking up - anyone have recommendations on a trainer they hate to love - or is it love to hate?

Comments

• Options
    I have a blackburn mag. I've been using it for years and LOVE it. Every year, my husband wants to buy me a new one and I say NO WAY! (I just asked him your post and he totally rolled his eyes at me!)

He uses a cycleops magneto. He says: "a magneto is progressive, as you accelerate it draws more tension and is immediate harder pedaling. When you slow down, it slows down." "A fluid starts cold then warms up. So when you start riding, the resistance is not immediate. The fluid heats as you ride it. Fluid trainers give you the most road like feel ." The downside, he says, is that fluid trainers are often the most expensive.

Hope that helps a little!
  • Options

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - solid and reliable.

• Options

I heart, lurve and would never part with my Computrainer. Sure, I'd rather be outside, but when the weather turns bad I never, ever mind getting on that thing. Whole other price point, and I got it before I joined EN and got a Powertap too. Both have their place.

• Options
    Kurt Kinetic Road machine. Great company to work with also.
  • Options

One Up USA.  Great company to work with, trainer guarenteed for life, made in USA, great ride.  Not fluid or mag but uses a centrifugal pressure resistance system technology (CPR).  Cost around $300.  Would definitely buy another!

• Options
    I have had both Cyclops fluid and Magneto trainers. Fluid is much quieter than mag both seem smooth and provide plenty of resistance, 450 watts steady through the 30-30's. Currently, I have a CT which I bought on Ebay for a considerable discount from new. It had been ridden twice and came with a few options as well as a RCV of IMLP. Just check your sellers feedback. Worked out great for me.

Mike
  • Options

I have a KK Road Machine - very happy with it. That being said, I also have an inexpensive Minoura 500 Mag trainer (got it free with my bike) that I use for travel (it's a lot lighter than the Road Machine) and I don't mind using it at all.

• Options

My computrainer is going on 15 yrs w/out a problem and feedback from spin scan, watts H.R.,etc can't beat it.  Watch the damn thing blow up now that I said that, ha.  you can't beat it to get  the work done.  the cave sucks but it's suppose to.  I put my nose on the dial and hang on, hard to do outside in the city(lights, stop signs,etc)  watts keep going up.  Work works.

• Options
    Love is a strong word when it comes to trainers...
    That being said, +3 for the Computrainer. I've had mine for 7 years...after using a Magnetic trainer and the KK fluid trainer. The KK fluid trainer is a distant second to the CT.
  • Options

+1 on the kinetic road machine.  Does what I want.  And their customer service is great.

• Options

I love my Computrainer also and I have a love/hate relationship with the Coaching Software.

• Options

I dig my KK as well but I really dig my wife's which is identical other than the fact that it is an 80's hairband guitar flouro green color.  I have no idea about the customer service as they have both worked perfectly for years.  As there is a magnetic coupling it is impossible for them to leak unless you actually crack the metal open. 

While I think a computrainer would be cool I am not willing to drop the cash on one at this point.  Besides the rumor is that racermate is for sale and Saris is interested. 

• Options
    I have a 10 year old CyclOps Fluid trainer and i love it. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many 1000's of miles are on it. The only knock I have about it is, it's an old model and it's old. The originals, like mine, use a plastic handle to tighten the rear wheel to the traininer. This has changed in the evolution of the newer CO Fliuid trainers. Unfortunately, mine has broken twice. Another awesome thing about CyclOps trainers, Life Time Warranty! Sarris Cycling has been awesome both times I have called for replacement parts. The last time I called, the customer service rep wasn't sure if they had any more of the plastic handles. He offered me a trade-in for my trainer to upgrade to the newest model. Unfortunatley for me, Sarris had the parts and they didn't even charge me for the shipping!
  • Options
    x2 on the Cycleops Fluid. I bought mine last year to replace an old cheap mag trainer and the difference is night and day. It's quiet and very easy to use. My husband and I both use the same trainer so it gets a full 7 days a week between us from Nov-March and all the rainy days or no babysitter days April-Oct.
  • Options
    x3 on the CycleOps Fluid. Bought it last year off ebay before the OS started, and to replace an aging mag trainer that was making all sorts of noises and alternating hard/soft on me.
  • Options

A report on my CompuTrainer, which after 2.5 years of about once weekly use, developed connectivity issues. While repair was convenient, entailing two new cables and a couple of jacks replaced in the head unit, it did cost $200 for the evaluation and tune-up. CT is (a) pricey, (b) stuck in early 90's technology, and (c) difficult to deal with as it has four separate cables, and a very clunky bike stand. RacerMate seems a lot like another local monopolistic marketer of mediocrity (Microsoft) - someone I love to hate, but have to deal with because they are the only game in town for what I want.

Apart from the large sunk cost, wny do I keep using it? It's very easy to pre-program specific workouts, to retrieve and transfer data with WKO, has multiple modes of operation and loads of flexibility due to the PC interface and control, has a huge user base which has generated a staggering number of specific files for race courses and workouts, and has those cool race course videos.