Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

The Official IMCDA Sign In Thread!

Welcome to the Ironman CDA Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    I'm IN!! My first full IM; little scared, little apprehensive, very excited. Doing HITS Napa HIM in a few weeks and then into IM training plan full on. 40 year old Soldier stationed at Fort Lewis, WA; from MT; 73", 205lbs, lifetime runner but not super fast, ok swimmer, and inexperienced cyclist. Have completed 1 sprint, 1 oly, 1 half.

Training goals are to stick to plan as best as possible - I skipped alot of bike workouts leading up to Napa and going to pay for it. Also need to lose weight - quit smoking 6 weeks ago and have been putting on the pounds, regardless of diet choices - not sure of the payoff.

Race goal is to have a well-executed race and let the times fall where they fall. Sub 13:00 would be awesome, sub 14:00 probably more realistic; but will get what I earn. Go baby go!!!

Look forward to meeting the team there!
  • Options
    Hello people----I'm Eric Blakie and doing IMCDA with my son Alan.Its my 29 th IM and his 3rd.I'm 59 and he's 30 with all the speed that comes with that.He finished off IM Wales last year with a 3.08 run after what I regard as the toughest IM bike course yet and he juts rattled off a 1.20 half marathon last week.Our official 'cheering person' wife Dot will be with us--as usual ! Oh and we are from the previous owners of this colony---UK !!
  • Options
    Hey guys, I'm in. image Done a couple HIM over the past two years and this will be my first Full. Looking to have a good time, finish, then enjoy the rest of our trip in Seattle image

#1 goal is to have fun and soak up the finish. #2 goal is to go under 11. #3 is to beat my friend's time of 10:22 image At this point I really do not worry about it too much. Just want to do well in training, and have a fun time. I can really focus on getting faster in later ones.

Plus this is a great excuse to get back out to the NW. Eventually we'd like to move out there, but for now we'll enjoy taking a trip out there when we can image
  • Options

I can't believe it's finally here!  This will be my first full ironman after having done a couple HIM's last year, along with a few olympics and a sprint.  I'm doing St. George in another month as a lead up to CDA.

In terms of goals i'm excited just to be making the trip.  I fractured my hip last december and it's been a long road back, but i'm feeling 90-95% and expect to be 100% by race day.  My goals are to execute like an EN race ninja, maintaining discipline throughout the race.  i want to race in moment and enjoy the day as much as possible especially the finish chute.  In terms of a time goal, I think i have what it takes to finish sub 11, but this being my first IM, it's hard to know what is realistic.

Best of luck everyone as you begin the push toward CDA!

• Options

This will be my second IM.  Did IM CDA last year.  Great venue.  The day after my race my wife convinced me to give it another shot.  I train alone and most people in Fairbanks don't really get it, nor do they want to hear about how my workout went.  I'm just the guy in the office who is always coming in with wet hair from the pool in the morning or streaking out the front door in my running shoes at lunch, so it it will be nice to have the support of EN and this group.  I'm fired up and can't believe we are less than three months out!!!

Race goal: 1 h swim, 5:35 bike, 3:30 marathon, plus 6 minutes of transition.

Last year I got really cold on the bike and my HR was elevated at 160-165 (zone 4 for me) on the bike for the first 90 minutes because I was shivering really hard.  My target of averaging 195 watts, like in training, ended up being 175 watts.  Biggest lesson, be ready for anything at CDA.  Wiki had some great tips, like have a second sealed bag of stuff in your transition bag for what race day may bring.  I will have some warm bike stuff in my bag this year....

• Options

I'm in for IMCDA!  This will be my 4th IM.  Others include Lake Placid, Wisconsin and Canada.  I am gunning for a slot in the 45-49 age group and ready to give it everything.  Looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing notes along the way...

Mike

• Options

I am in for CDA! This will be my third Full IM following Rev 3 Full Cedar Point and Louisville IM the last 2 years. Just turned 50 so new age group and hoping to celebrate with a second IM later this year (Wisconsin or Tahoe).

Have heard CDA is absolutely gorgeous! And a bit of a tough one. I like both of those characteristics. image I did hear the swim is brutally cold, so will be looking for pro help on that(!), and any other insights as we get closer.

I'm in Kansas City if anyone is nearby.

Excited!

Greg

• Options

Hey everyone. This will be my 3rd IM and 1st of 2 this year (IMCDA, IMAZ)  and I'm looking forward to yet another new course! I've had a marginal OS plagued with illness, but seem to be starting out where I left off at last year's peak. So all in all I'm psyched up to get it started!

• Options
    Colorado is in the race! This will be my second IM, first being St.George. Had recent ankle surgery, so I have been learning to walk and eventually run without pain. Looking forward to surprising some people, especially the surgeons who didn't think I would be able to compete. Let's get some training done!
  • Options
    I am in as well. This is my second IM, my first was Louisville last year. The heat really killed me, I figure the heat is not a problem at CDA.

I hope to finish before 14 hours. I want to push the pace this time, at Louisville I did the entire race as slow and steady, I am sure I can push it faster in the swim, I also lost a lot of time in rest stops on the bike and in transition, 45 minutes or more. Without the 95 degree heat that should not be as big of an issue (I hope).

I have a half-lite (only 40 mile bike and 9 mile run) on May 5th. Plan on crushing that to get really ready for CDA.

After the race we are staying for a family vacation with my brother and his family, so I have a lot to look forward to at this race.
  • Options

Hi Team!  I am Carly and have been with EN since 2009.  I live in Pullman, Washington (just two hours south of CDA), but grew up in the Spokane/CDA area (my parents are on the race course - on CDA Lake Drive).  CDA will be my third Ironman; second at CDA.  I've been a volunteer captain for transition at the race since 2007 (took the 2010 year off from captaining to race), so I know this race inside and out. 

This year I am going to stay as a race captain, and just turn over race weekend execution to my co-captain so I can race.  We have an awesome volunteer director and race director that are letting me do this!  I'll pass along updates from the race as we learn more about them, such as the new time-trial swim start for CDA.  Happy to answer any questions you guys have as we get closer - just send them my way.

Good luck to everyone starting Monday!!  Can't believe we are just over 12 weeks out!! 

• Options
    Hi My Name is Sondra, I'm in age group 45-49  CDA 2013  will be my 2nd full Ironman. My first Full Ironman was Canada 2011, Which was a very hot day 95+ on the run., but the swim was beautiful and warm. I'm looking forward to CDA but most of all surviving the swim. I hear its really cold..  Would love to hear some good tips on swimming in cold water. Looking forward in meeting you all and getting to know you.
  • Options

Hi Carly,

I volunteered in 2010 IMCDA and loved the people there. Its so Beautiful and I'm very excited to return as an Athlete. Thanks so much for all your help. I do have a question about the swim start. so it is going to be a Time-trial swim start this year? Can you give me any information what that may look like?

Thanks so much Sondra

• Options

12 weeks to go! This will be my 3rd full IM. (Arizona 2010, Canada 2012) . Felt I left some unfinished Ironman business in Canada. Goal is to break 11:30 and finally run to my potential! Can't wait to meet you all!

• Options
    Hi Sondra,

I'll start a new thread about the time trial start to keep things organized in our group folder.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey CdA friends!
    I'm hot off a sweet PR at Oceanside 70.3 last weekend and ready to start focusing on CdA! This will be my 1st IM and I've got high hopes that all goes well because I'll be tackling my 2nd IM later this summer too (IM Canada). Thankfully my husband and I have the same race schedule and we're both newbies to the IM distance. #1 goal is to finish, I'd love to finish under 12 hours, but I have no idea how realistic that is... may be more like 13. Either way, it'll be a blast and we've got some hard work to do!!
  • Options
    Hi, team. I'm very excited to make IM CDA my second IM. I did Cozumel in 2011 and got it done with a a slow and steady training and racing approach. I'm looking forward to seeing the results from the EN way.
  • Options

My name is George Kokonas and I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada.   I'm really excited to be part of the E-N nation and this is my first year with the group.   I can't wait to see all the hard work translate into results on race day!

I'm gearing up for St George in a few weeks and then my first 'A' race of the season will be IMCDA.

I'm wondering if doing Boulder 5150 a few weeks after IMCDA in July would be okay?   My second big race of the season is Challenge Penticton which takes place on August 25th.

• Options

Hello Everyone - my name is Pen Caldwell. I'm in for IMCDA...pretty nervous, but excited and looking forward to meeting everyone. Done plenty of sprints and olympics over the last 5 years...middle of the pack dude. First IM though and it scares me! Got a good start with the OS last fall, then got hurt (lower back), got a nasty flu over New Years, then three weeks of good training, then lower back againimage But all better about 3 weeks ago, and swimming seems to have worked wonders on my backimage So I've been ramping up to intercept the 20 week intermediate IM program, and hit all the metrics this past weekimage So it looks like a go...slow but a goimage Figured I better plug in since this is for real now. Good luck to everyone and proud to be a part of your team!

• Options
    Nice job pulling it off! I look forward to meeting you and everyone else as well!
  • Options

Welcome Pen!  How is the training going for everyone?  I think we have about 6 weeks left.  Is everyone feeling strong, like bull?  Can't wait, but I have one question.  Someone just told mne that as part of the new Ironman safety protocol, if the water is below 58 degrees, the swim could be cancelled.  Then I received a welcome email from the Coeur d'Alene race director that the "average" water temp for the race is 58 degrees!  Anyone have aany more insight?

Mike

• Options

@Mike I think it was 52 or below...

Welcome aboard Pen!

• Options

Hey Team,

Well with a ridiculous amount of illness and weird health issues this winter/spring, and giving so many blood tests that I feel like the easy date at a vampire ball, the doctors came up with a diagnosis last week of hypothyroid. After some hard thinking, and soul searching I've decide to pull the plug on competing @ IMCdA, and focus on getting my system back to normal so I can crush IMAz this Fall.

I am so bummed I wont get to meet you all, and join in the fun, but I will keep on cheering and tracking from online!

• Options
    Hi All,

I'm Erik Svendsen from Littleton, Colorado and CDA will be my first IM. Pretty nervous but also excited. I've done several HIMs and am looking to put all the training together on the 23rd!

Stay healthy during this last block of training and I look forward to meeting some/all of you in 6 wks!
  • Options

@Rian - Total bummer, man!  Sorry to hear that, but long term health needs to come first and IMAZ still leaves you with an awesome goal to work toward!  Good health and good training!

@Erik - Welcome aboard.  We're practically neighbors.  I'm in Parker, CO and also racing CDA as my first full distance IM.

• Options

@Eric, welcome! Can't wait to meet everyone!

@Rian, so sorry to hear. I am hypothyroid as well. Diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditus like 10 years ago. Good news, if your is similar...a little generic Synthroid, titrated to what you need to balance TSH/T4, and you should be set, with no repercussions! Hang in there buddy. 

All the best,

Greg

• Options
    Who else is getting stoked for race day? <<This guy is!!
  • Options
    With 4 weeks to go, I'm going back and forth between stoked and totally freaking out!image
  • Options
    This will be my 6th IM.  My nickname is Iron Mama Turtle of that gives you any clue to my racing speed.  Someone has to give others a reason to be at the finish line into the late hours of the race to cheer us turtles to the finish line.  My husband, son-in-law and good friend will be racing with me.  I am working on the Ironman Legacy program - goal is to get to Kona through the Legacy or when I reach the 65-69 age group with less competition - whichever comes first.   Looking forward to racing wearing a team "uniform" this year - just wearing it while training made me feel faster.  See you in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    I'm trying to decide between going with 808's or wheelcovers. Any thoughts?