Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Week 9 Training -- Start your engines!

Hey gang, I thought I'd start of a training thread for the week like we do in the OS to help keep people connected. I always feel like it helps knowing there's a whole group of us out there doing the (mostly) same plan.

I hope we can try to start at least one new thread each week to discuss/gripe/share the trials and tribulations of the IM plan and the road to CDA!

So far I'm surviving the transition from Jan OS to IM plan, although I'm sore in places I haven't been for awhile! I managed to get in runs and swims in Mon/Tues, and did the FTP bike session today feeling reasonably strong, and hit my numbers. I started cranking back my alarm clock a few days ago to get ready for early mornings (like tomorrow's run!), which I've avoided since last fall. I'm not looking forward to early wake-up! 

Comments

• Options
    I like that idea and I would join although my race is IMAT one week later but that's just one week off image
  • Options
    @Rian, go back to the Dashboard and look at a few post below this forum you started. Brenda is the new race director and she posted the coaches start this kind of a thread about 7 weeks before the event. It's a new 5.0 EN thing.
  • Options
    I did the swim/run yesterday, and have a bike/run today. Did the bike this morning, went well enough considering I had a week off the bike due to transitioning out of OS.

I'm really excited so far. Generally 12 weeks into a plan I'm burned out, but I feel refreshed and ready to start over.

The long bikes are a bit daunting. But all the FTP/Vo2 max sessions in the OS were at first glance too. Here's hoping image
  • Options

@Stefan: Just join in here! My guess is not many other EN folks doing IM Austria, so we'll dub you honorary IMCDA member!

@David, thanks. I think that was in reference to starting a race specific group, which the coaches already did for IMCDA.

@Brandon, yup daunting. But you have a lot more endurance than you think from the OS. An hour of FTP is like several hours of Z1/z2, so other than a sore butt, the long rides wont be as bad as you think, just start focusing on keeping fueled as you ride!

Alarm @ 0530. Grinding gravel by 0600. I got in 12.8mi in 1:40 with 25' @ z2 and 2x10'@z3. Actually the z2 time was harder than the z3 sets for me. I think I take a long time to warm up. I'm usually not feeling ready to hit it till I've put in 5-6 miles. Looking forward nothing for the rest of the day and just a swim tomorrow!

Have a great one folks!

• Options

Great idea, Rian.  Thanks for starting the thread.

This is my first full week in the IM plan.  I was previously in the BF plan and the last 2 weeks were kind of hodge podge of retesting and some rest time with family during spring break.

So far i'm liking the IM plan, but my new FTP numbers are a killer.  (Is it possible to test higher than your true FTP)  I did Sunday's bike WKO today because i have a 1/2 marathon lined for Sunday.  I think it will be a good test for me prior to st. george in early may.  i'm feeling good with where i am fitness wise (way beyond where i was last year at this time) and body comp is also coming along. I'm excited (and a little nervous) for CDA as that will be my first full IM.

Looking forward to working hard these next 11 weeks and getting the chance to meet everyone in CDA!

• Options
    I will keep on eye in you guys! I don't move to the IM plan until after my next half at Wildflower on May 4
  • Options
    Due to family sheninagans this weekend, had to do my Sunday ABP 3 hour ride this morning on the trainer. Thanks to Dark Knight Rises, it actually wasn't that bad. Good lord that movie is awesome. Not saying I want to do that again, but glad I did it. Nice to get it done before work.

To break it up, I'd do 20 minutes @ low zone 3/high zone 2, then 10 minutes @ low zone 2. Couple minute break every hour.

You guys were right, itensity has translated pretty well. Compared to my long rides at the peak of last year, I'm already way ahead of the curve. This is looking good.

• Options
    As I'm one week behind the CdA-peeps I'll have to finish my final testing-week of the Get-Faster plan and will drop into the IM plan next week.
    I've already loaded it and it really looks badass especially that there is almost no day of the week without a HIGH-priority workout image

• Options

The long weekend rides have begun!

Got out the door @ 7am bundled up with gloves jacket and shoe covers since it was 38f. Those only lasted an hour till I and the day warmed-up, turned into a beautiful morning calm and sunny. I got in 74.6 mi with 3560ft in climbing in 3:56:00, little slower than I thought I would go, but okay for the early season I guess. Workout was for upper z2 work for a large majority, and it seems I hit that with an IF .78 for the ride, averaged 182 NP. Felt good to get outside! 

I'm curious to see how the ABP ride for tomorrow will go. Legs are tired but not sore yet. Time for a Nap!

• Options
    Great work Rian - I hope the weather here is also getting better until next weekend when I've to do that long workouts image