Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA - Week 10 Training

Didn't see a thread, so I thought I'd start one for this week image How goes it e'erybody?

On schedule so far this week, and running after work today. The 18' @ MP @ 3% was a bit rough. But dare I say it, I'm actually enjoying swimming now image feels good to get back in the pool after taking a hiatus.

Good luck this week!!

Comments

• Options

Nice! Thanks Brandon. 

Went to the gym after work yesterday planning to brick the incline run and swim, because we're in the middle of a spring storm. Of course, the pool was closed because of suspicious floaters! Did the run on the treadmill, but not really sure what setting on the tm equals 3% grade? A incline setting of 3 did not feel like 3%. 

Soooo with a little luck the pool will be open today. And given the weather/wind I may do my 1 mile repeats on the TM too. 

• Options

Sounds like you both are doing well. I did the hills outside yesterday. The sudden temp change from 46 to 75 degrees made them a little more challenging than expected, but it was nice to run in shorts. Off to the gym tonight to do my intervals on the TM, feel like I am more consistent hitting my pace on the treadmill, even though I hate to be inside.

The warm weather makes it feel like we are getting close! Only ten weeks to go.

Christy

• Options

Christy - sudden temp change in colorado as well except it was in reverse.  65 on monday, 16 on today.  BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Jumping back into the plan after a HM on sunday and taking yesterday as a recovery day.  I got in the tuesday swim and turned today's TP run into 45min Z1/Z2.  Tomorrow i should be back on plan 100% but kinda nervous for 10/15/20 at FTP.

• Options

Sounds like the weather is crazy everywhere. Of course it is spring. Finally starting to warm up a little here, but spring means windy season. Ugh.

@Mark: Are you staying on the IMCDA plan and training through St George? 

Yesterday the pool was actually open! But of course extra full. Still managed to get in a good drill set wko. Got in my 3x1mile @ z4 run at lunch, and was actually a little faster than prescribed pace, hoping that means I'm due for a VDOT bump. Restwise says I'm running 90% recovered, so I'm ready to put the smack down on my trainer ride today!

• Options
    As this is my first week in the IM Adv plan I'm still a little bit nervous about the long rides on the weekend but all other WKOs just went perfect till here!
    Just finished 10',15',20' Z4 repeats on the trainer and my legs aren't feeling that bad so I'm confident for the first long run tomorrow image

Just to share some more metrics of my recent ride:
    10' = IF: 0.976 / NP: 312
    15' = IF: 0.970 / NP: 310
    20' = IF: 0.976 / NP: 312
    Total workout: 1:15 / IF: 0.898 / NP:287
  • Options

@ Rian - Yep...My plan is to use St. George as a race rehearsal and hack the plan accordingly.  I'm not planning to do a real taper but will dial down the intensity the week leading up to St. George and for at least the early part of the following week.  There was a good forum thread (see below) that talked about this same topic.  

http://members.endurancenation.us/F...fault.aspx

• Options
    Holy moly that long-run was a challenging one giving a rTSS of 171!
    Note to self: I really need to carry some drinking-stuff with me next time image

Question for the veterans:
    The plan told me to run remaining time between Z1 (4:55/km) and Z2 (4:05/km) which is a pretty wide range ... today I ran at an average pace of 4:26/km but I noticed my HR was too high (most likely due to dehydration) but I'm curious if I should move that pace more to the Z1 or the Z2 level?

So finally let's bring on some shiny new metrics here image
    Total Time: 1:46:28
    Distance: 24.74 km
    rTSS: 171 (0.93)
    NGP: 04:12 min/km
  • Options

@Mark, cool! You should be well prepped for SG with the CDA plan. 

@Stefan -- Yes the load on those thursday runs is high! I've found that Nutrition is key. I break that run into two loops that start at my house so I can refuel. I carry a fuel belt with two 7oz or 10oz bottles filled with gatorade or perform. As it gets warmer, I'll be taking in typically 20oz an hour, but for now its around 14oz. I also shoot a gel every 30 minutes. All of this is what my nutrition protocol is for IM racing, so I try to practice it for every run. Its amazing what a difference that makes for me compared to my old way of doing without. I finish almost every run feeling pretty fresh now. As for pacing I'd say do what you can do, watching your HR, and remember that in the end these runs will turn into practice pacing for the IM which will be z1 + 30 -> z1, so theres no shame in backing off if your HR is spiked! Way to get it done!

Yesterday I hit the trainer for my 10,15,20 z4 intervals. Kept it at .97% which I was happy about. 

Today I was on the road @ 6am, got in 13.6 mi for 1:48. This week the 25' @ z2 and 20' of z3 felt much better and stronger. 

Looking forward to Nap!

• Options
    One of the toughest long runs I've done. Thanks for the advice Rian. I'll take in a little more calories next time too. Hit my numbers during the main set, and after walking for a few minutes to get my HR down, as able to hold z1 for the remainder. So I was happy about that image

I was hoping to wear my Ronins with inserts during CdA, so I wore them today. Legs feel pretty good, except the ball of one of my feet is a bit sore. After working it out I think it'll be fine for tomorrow.
  • Options

It was a somewhat frustrating weekend.  I had hoped to do both my 4 hour saturday ride and my 3 hour sunday ride outside as opposed to another weekend on the trainer.  7am Saturday morning i suited up and made it about an hour before turning for home.  My fingers and toes were FREEZING!!! (Yes, i'm a wimp when it comes to the cold!)  After getting home and warming up i hit the trainer and did 2hrs at ABP.  Sunday morning went for swim workout with my local tri club and then once again suited up and headed out on the bike.  This time i made it about 2 hours before bailing.   The wind today was brutal and i thought i was going over at one point.  I made it home safely and decided to run on the treadmill for an hour while watching the Masters.  Spring time in colorado is tough because weatherwise you never know what you are going to get.  Next week there is a big tri day scheduled over the weekend so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for some warmer weather!

• Options

Got the same wind storm as Mark this weekend with similar impacts. I got up early, trying to beat the wind, on sat for a 4hr ride got in 74 mi. in 3:50. The last 90 minutes were brutal with a 20mph headwind and gusts 35+. Ugh. Yesterday the wind started early and I had a bunch of SAU to build doing chores and and family stuff, so I put off the ABP ride till evening on the trainer. Did not have much mojo left by 5pm on sunday. I managed 90 min on the trainer ( 2 breaking bad episdodes image ) with high z2 / low z3. But I had no juice in my legs to really get a good ABP ride. I guess its for the best I use the trainer.