Homeโ€บ Coaching Forum ๐Ÿงข
Options

Run > Swim or Swim > Run ?

Coaches,

Are there big cons to me doing swim then run on days I have that combo vs. run then swim?ย  If I get to the Y right at 6:00am I have no problem getting a lane + if I swim first I get to run in the daylight!ย  A nice change of pace for me after this long winter.

Jonas

Comments

• Options
    Jonas, if you're referring to back to back workouts, most would agree that swimming before the run is the way to go. Especially if it's a tough run. It's not uncommon to have some cramp issues (calf or feet) during a good swim workout that follows a strong run workout.
  • Options
    swim followed by run
  • Options
    I have been running after the swim for three years. I have to get to the Y at 4:15 to get a lane.
  • Options
    More important workout first, unless you get several hours separation or have other practical limitations. If it's just some miles with strides, feel free to swim first. If you're doing threshold miles, I'd run first.

A hard swim WILL affect your run. If it's an easy swim, you can do it first without too much worry, but if you're doing fast or long, it will affect the run. Last year, I had a good masters group, which tended to be harder swims than proscribed for us here...I found it really important to drink sports drink or something similar if I was going to run shortly thereafter or ride long. You blow through a lot of glycogen in a hard swim.

Unsurprisingly, the converse is true too. A hard run will affect your swim.

Of course, if there are practical issues, you just do what you need to do, and figure out how to make the best of it. :-)
  • Options
    I find that I get feet cramps if I swim too close to when I run. I try to separate the 2 as much as possible. Also, if you primarily use a PB when swimming, it will have less impact on the run.
  • Options
    I did run swim once.... My form was so horrific, I never attempted it again.
  • Options
    swim run is best...the run swim layout is typically a consideration as we try to hold the run 24 hours away from something else. If you are doing the swim then run right away you should be fine!!!!