Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

overtrained? plantar fascitis

I am struggling with the decision of shutting my season down before it even starts. Tired feet seem to have transitioned  to plantar fascitis. I stopped running about two and half weeks ago. It has improved but still persists. I was planning multiple short course triathlons begining next month. Now just stopping running entirely for a couple of months and seeing where I am injury wise seems prudent.  Any thoughts or wisdom? I am mostly frustrated after working so hard through the outseason and now missing out.

Comments

• Options
    Eric, way too early to toss in the towel. You never know how long (short) it will take for your PF to heal. Check out the Medical Forum - Coach P posted to the forum that he thought he developed PF and he too was worried but note that he ran a 3:06:xx in the Boston Marathon today. Send me a PM and I'll send you an article that describes a serious approach to treating PF.
    You can really hit the bike hard while your PF is healing - the bike didn't bother my PF. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    Yep. Hit the bike and swim like crazy and rehab the PF hard. You have to think long term. PF always gets better eventually. You just have to be ready.
  • Options
    I had PF for over a year - and it recently reared its ugly head again. My friend who's and ultra marathoner told me to try these crazy looking shoes called Hoka One One. And I have to tell you so far they've been a miracle! I have NO pain at all since wearing them for my runs. No pain during or after. They are expensive but are supposed to last 600-800 miles. Check into them! Good luck.
  • Options
    @Jim- can you just drop a link to the article in here? Sounds interesting...
  • Options
    Jim-
    Agree with John about your article on a serious approach to PF. It seems to damper a lot of athletes spirits and would be a great read
    Thanks
  • Options
    Here is the link to Coach P's thread (Jim's link is in there, along with a lot of great advice/experience from others... ): http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/11137/Default.aspx

@Eric - Don't throw in the towel just yet!!! I had a terrible start to last season - had to bag three races early in the season, missed a TON of run training (well, more like ALL of my run training), but was still able to pull off my HIM and IM (I think my longest run prior to my IM was NINE miles. And then I broke my foot, which all of EN is probably sick of hearing about at this point. ;-)

You might have to adjust your goals for the season accordingly, but you CAN do it - get treatment and be vigilant about following up with your home exercise/stretching program, and it'll happen.

And I love the Hokas, too....
  • Options
    Eric, check your EN Private eMail (PM)
  • Options
    Eric - don't bag your season! Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the fascia...I've had it in the past. But this year, I just one-upped all of you and went straight to a plantar fascia rupture. When it snapped, I not only felt it immediately, I heard it! And then I limped home in pouring rain. That was a little over 3 weeks ago. I've already bagged one race but fully expect to start St Anthony's although I may DNF after the bike. But I will be running again next month and finishing my IM this summer...just like Jess. In the meantime, there is a lot of substitute exercising you can do. I am working my core hard and taking the time to address all kinds of weaknesses. I'm taking advantage of this to really put in some extra time swimming. And I'm 'running' in the pool, on an elliptical, and on an ARC trainer. There's a lot you can do so you come back even stronger. I'm not throwing in the towell so you can't either.