Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Week 16-IM: Run still hurts; Overtrained??

Hi Coach P:

Sorry, it's a bit long.

Background

As you know I've been battling my Achilles tendinitis since week 13.  My last long run was March 28 and I did PT, icing, etc.  I upped my bikes and swims and did not run from March 28 until April 10. In Week 15 I did a 3 mile run on Wednesday April 10.  While I didn't feel a 100%, I felt ok.  I went ahead with the 60 minute run after RR#1 and felt good.  My Achilles burned a little at the start but then I ended up running pretty solidly for the hour.  Not my fastest pace but not my slowest either, right in the range of my Z2.

This Week

That RR#1 really wore me out but I chalked that up to having to do all 6 hours on the Computrainer.  I went ahead and did the scheduled 90" workout on the bike the next day.  On Monday of Week 16, I did the swim workout and felt so tired and like I was swimming in molasses.  I could NOT gear up to anywhere close to race pace.  I did not do the run workout, only 15" on elliptical and a shortened weights set and went to sleep and got a solid 9 hours that night.  Tuesday morning I did my usual Masters class and felt great - full of energy and swimming like normal.  I went ahead and did the full 90" session.  That evening I did the bike FTP workout and it was the hardest thing I've done.  My legs felt like lead and I felt like I was hyperventilating and couldn't take deep breaths.  I did make the FTP goals as outlined but that was pushing myself hard.

This morning, I went out to try and run.  My initial thought was I wanted to do 120".  I started off slow and the Achilles was nagging but it went away about 15" into the run.  Throughout my run I was not feeling it.  I felt sluggish and so tired and occasionally felt nauseous and lightheaded (and yes I did eat before).  I had one of my worst runs ever and did my usual loop about 10 minutes slower than I've ever done it.  I had to walk a fair bit at the end.  I ended up run/walking for 90" at a miserable 13:18 pace.

Misc. Info

I have been doing the FTP bike on Tuesday evenings and the long run on Wednesday mornings since Week 8 (which is when I transitioned from OS Plan to IM Plan).

I have also been doing my Masters class for 90" on Tuesday mornings and another Masters class for 75" on Thursday mornings since January.  I've been doing the third swim (on my own) since I started IM plan.

I have also done all my rides on the Computrainer from OS through Week 16 of the IM plan.

Questions

1. Is it possible I am overtrained? I have some of the classic symptoms but I don't think it is possible since I have not been really running the last 3 weeks?

2. What should I do this week?  I'm afraid to cut down any workouts because my race is 4 weeks away and my run is still not there.

Thank you!

Joanna

p.s.

I was the one from the 310 area code who texted you on Monday pm.  I forgot to identify myself and didn't want you to think that some random person got your cell number.

Comments

• Options

Joanna, thanks for the text messsage!!!

I think that even though you aren't running you are over-reaching. So we need to modify your week to allow you to maintain fitness but not be cooked. My proposal:

Monday = OFF

Tuesday = FTP bike with a short brick

Wednesday = Long Swim

Thursday = ABP session on CT (maybe trainer road, maybe fun CT course, but like 75-90' of ABP), short brick run.

Friday = Long Swim

Saturday = Long bike and brick run.

Sunday = Long run day. 

This gives you a day off. This gives you bike quality without immense time. This gives you frequent running without too much. And if required, you can "spin" the first 30-60' of your sunday run in z2 on the bike before finishing it up on the road. 

What say you?

• Options
    Coach P:

Thanks for quick response.

Is this for next week? If so, I forgot to add that I have to do my RR#2 (because of travel) to weekend of Week 17.

Thanks again!

Joanna
  • Options
    Joanna, it's never too soon to start fixing....don't wait 4 more days!!!! I would bump the long run from tomorrow to Sun and put in an ABP ride tomorrow (or 80% or 75%) whatever you've got....brick only if you didn't brick today and feel up to it. As for the RR, you can do that on any weekend and just drop that prescribed long run (you'll be running 6 in the RR) for the (much needed) rest day!
  • Options
    Hi Coach P:

I'm feeling better. I did both bike workouts this weekend although I cut it short by 30 minutes for both sessions. I will follow your suggestions for this week. Hopefully I will nail RR#2 this weekend!

Thanks,

Joanna
  • Options
    Can't wait to hear about it...feel free to post more questions....