Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Cooked

Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

I am in week 13 of the Intermediate HIM plan and could not do today's 105 min. run. Instead I jogged 5.5 miles at a 10 min. pace. I hacked the swim on Tuesday and couldn't finish. Taking huge long naps where I wake up and don't know where I am.(Deeep sleeps) I'd say this ramp up from Jan OS to HIM is seriously taking its toll. Is this normal??

What the heck? I'm eating well, sleeping well; do need to work on better hydration throughout the day.Not doing any strength training or anything in addition to the plan right now.

Am I seeing it correct that there are no days off?

And of course I start to get a little nervous about my performance come race time.  Help!

Anna

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure someone smarter than me will weigh in, but I would probably dial things back for a few days and see how you feel. You're in the thick of the high volume part of the plan, and the ramp up may be a little too much. Take a day or two off (or super easy) and give yourself some serious rest. I'm sure you'll be good to go soon. I've had similar periods where I just didn't seem to have it...listen to your body and stand down. As far as the days off go, one of the features of the plans (at least mine) now is that they rate the relative importance of the workouts. If the volume is getting you, I would think about skipping a couple of the less important wo's. My personal experience (5 years in EN w/2 full IMs in 2008 and 2011) has been that I've been perfectly fine (12:55, 12:28 in my 2 IMs) doing less than the prescribed workouts. I typically did 1.5 swim workouts per week (more like 1 for my 2nd IM) and skipped about 50% of the Sunday rides and a fair number of the Tuesday runs. My problem was more work/life related vs. fatigue, but it worked for me.
  • Options
    I'm also in Week 13 of the INT HIM after ramping up three weeks ago from the INT OS. The 105 run today was definitely on tired legs and I'm actually glad the weather forced me to do it on the treadmill as the steady rhythm and the distraction of watching TV at the club seemed to help me. Hang in there!
  • Options
    I totally get it. These longer run days are making me feel defeated in some way. I was able to get 10 miles in, but it was not easy in the least bit. I have a great running partner and if he wasn't there. I don't know if I could have done it!
  • Options
    I would fire off a message to the coaches in the micro thread and ask for some advice. That is what they are there for. The last thing you want to do is dig a bigger whole for yourself. Stand down, take a couple of days off, but in the meantime, get that message out to the coaches.
  • Options
    Hi Brenda, Thanks to you and all for responding. Actually, I meant this to be for Rich and Patrick. I thought I was in the Micro Thread. Groan. Will keep trying to find the new thread. Thanks.
  • Options
    @Anna this is the Micro forums, others are just posting here b/c it's showing up in the dashboard. You need some downtime...I would chill it until Monday. So no real workouts this weekend...just feet up, sleep, etc., and then lets get back at it come Monday! Please keep me posted....
  • Options

Ok Patrick,

Now starting Day 3 of no exercise. Weird! Haven't done this since.....my partying days in college?? (And that was a loooong time ago)

Instead I've been reading in the Wiki, which, BTW, has been great for mental training.

Do you think, today I could go for a short run/bike? Or just lay off until tomorrow starts (week 14 of HIM)? Thought I would, at least, do some core work.

Thanks, Anna

• Options
    Anna, sorry we had little girl bday here so I was offline. You can do what you want...but tomorrow is the big day to get back on it...please keep me in the loop!
  • Options

No worries, Patrick. With 5 kids of my own I get it. Nothing today and tomorrow back to training. Hope you and your family enjoyed the weekend after the craziness of the past few days. :)