Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Robert Plohg's Macro Thread

Coach, 

Week 9 of the 70.3 intermediate bike has 3x1 (1')  at 95%-100%. Are these sets supposed to by 120% V02 work or 95-100% effort/FTP as outlined? I haven't come across 1x1s at FTP in my short stint in triathlon thus the reason for my question. In addition, how much rest between the 1x1s and the beginning of the MS?

WU: 10' Easy, then 3 x 1' (1') 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. MS: 8' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 12' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 15' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 8' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. WD: 5' Easy 

Comments

• Options

Posted By Robert Plohg on 20 Apr 2013 12:26 PM

Coach, 

Week 9 of the 70.3 intermediate bike has 3x1 (1')  at 95%-100%. Are these sets supposed to by 120% V02 work or 95-100% effort/FTP as outlined? I haven't come across 1x1s at FTP in my short stint in triathlon thus the reason for my question. In addition, how much rest between the 1x1s and the beginning of the MS?

WU: 10' Easy, then 3 x 1' (1') 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. MS: 8' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 12' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 15' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. 8' (4') @ 95-100%/Zone4/Hard. WD: 5' Easy 

No, that's part of the warmup, just some short, hard efforts to get your legs working. 

• Options

Coach, 

Need big picture season planning advice.  I am currently in week 9 of the Intermediate 70.3 plan (week 10 starts Monday). A races are Racine 70.3 on July 21st and Olympic distance Age Group Nationals on August 10th. Over the last two weeks I have done very little training due to illness. After getting over my illness, I went for a 30 minute run on Thursday and came up lame with right ankle peroneal tendonitis -- so no running for at least two weeks. 

My questions:

• While I am not running over the next couple of weeks, I am going to focus on the bike and swim.  My plan is to continue with the swims as prescribed and want to add four bikes per week. How would you structure the bikes? Should I follow the 70.3 plan as prescribed and just add another ride in? If so, what type of ride (i.e. interval work, aerobic work etc).  

• Obviously, if I race Racine, I may/will have to reset my expectations. At what pt. should I dump this race and look for something later in the season? I have the flexibility to do this and really want to nail my first 70.3. I could consider the last two weeks and the next two weeks as recovery/transition, find another race and build for that thus creating a new season plan. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Clarification on my post above (bullet #1) -- I want to add and additional bike for four total per week.
  • Options
    Add a 4th bike as a toned down version of the existing interval bike. For example, if the interval bike has 30' of Z4 work, Interval Bike #2 might have 20-25'. You'll have to experiment with what that looks like and where it goes in the week.

That really depends. You have time to see how the ankle heals up. In my experience you'll be making a lot of accommodations for it for about 4wks. In the end, you have plenty of time to make your decision, there's no rush right now.