Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

Cold CDA Swim?

Christie asked this too, in the Sign-in thread, so maybe I'm not alone. image

No worries about distance, but have also heard CDA is REALLY COLD. What tips do you guys all have? (May be doing Tahoe in September, so could use any tips twice. image

Thanks in advance!!

Greg

Comments

• Options

It's impossible to make assumptions about the weather or the water for this race. I did the first nine races there, and the race day temps varied from 50F to 98F. Once there was a thunderstorm (on the hottest day), and once there was a drizzle (the coldest day), otherwise dry. The water temps varied from 58F to 67. I've seen the water temp rise 3-4F and the air temp rise 20F in the space of a week once the sun came out and it got hot.

So you have to prepare for everything, no matter what the 10 day forecast says. For cold water, you should be buying a neoprene cap, and use it if needed. I found the neoprene booties were of little help, and filled with water, slowing me down significantly. Wearning bike arm warmers under the wetsuit also helped. Getting your hands and face wet before full immersion is also a good idea, as is a mandatory warm-up before racing. If they don't allow it in the starting area, the lake side is huge, and you can go down the shore to get a dip in while somebody holds your place in line.

• Options
    +1 what the oracle of CDA said ;-)

Al is the master of CDA... When I did it 3 years ago, it was 58-60 and I was fine with a neoprene cap. I've tried the booties and they were more of a pain than they were worth. But the neoprene cap is a must.

Tahoe will be similar. I grew up swimming in the lake and cda and Tahoe will be fairly similar in terms of temp. Although Tahoe had very little snow this year, so that will help with the temp. Not sure how it is in CDA.
  • Options
    You guys have any preference on neoprene caps? Or just snag one off Amazon?
  • Options
    Two things it probably needs ... Ear coverings, and chin strap to keep it from drifting up on your head.
  • Options
    I used a Desoto cap at IMAZ last year. Worked fine and we get a 25% discount on Desoto stuff.
  • Options
    Even with the neoprene "squid lid" and booties, get some ear plugs! And try them out before you use them on race day. Cold water will throw off your balance if you're not used to it. I use them for EVERY swim I do.
  • Options

I personally like the booties. I have a pair from blue seventy. They fit quite tight. I put them under the wetsuit and have had no problems with them filling up ( noticeably anyway). I also like to run to T1 in them. Great protection against all the little pebbles and twigs along the way. 

• Options
    It's too early to start worring about the water temp with our crazy Inland Northwest weather, but I did want to pass along a couple of positive notes...we've had some recent great (upper 70s, low 80s) weather lately and in the extended forecast. As of this past weekend, the lake temp was 56! So that's good news! (Keep in mind though, a lot can change - we had snow April 30, then have been sunny...)

I haven't been in the lake yet (probably won't swim in CDA until Memorial Day weekend), but the chatter up here has been a few people out in the water already. So fingers crossed we keep this nice weather!! image
  • Options
    Carly - it might be too early to worry about the weather, but i sure hope the trend continues!!!
  • Options
    Great news keep it coming. I'm hoping that I can use my sleeve less wetsuit. THANKS ALOT.
  • Options

Got a note from the guy I am renting my house from...he does quite a bit of volunteering on the bike course - said weather has been better than normal, and he is speculating warmer water temps...what that means, who knows - I prepared to be cold.  Don't plan to wear booties or neoprene cap though.  Will double the swim caps and go go go...