Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

John H's Macro Thread

Coach Rich, 

I've got two questions. Firstly is that I completed the ITU Oly yesterday. In the training leading up to the race I thought I was sticking to all of the written bike plan well. However, I found that on the longer 2x20' Z4,intervals, even though thinking I was starting out the first one moderately, I was having a challenging time keeping the same or higher average watts on the second interval.On the 1x40' Z4 I had average watts of 144. Also, on the shorter Z4 intervals there was no problem. In the two Olympic bikes this year, my average watts have been 133 and 134 not Z4 (144-152), In the races I've resisted going beyond where I was feeling the quads beginning to be strained. On the run yesterday (didn't do the run before due to a foot injury), the legs never did really felt like they wanted to go. So, I wonder if I need to get stronger on the bike and if you concur, what you would recommend (please see the next ? before answering).

Secondly, for the month of May we will be traveling where I will be able to run and swim in open water (no pool), but will not have the bike with me. I have the SDIT (a "C" race) on June 30 in which I will do the sprint, because of the no cycling in May. I'm due to load the Go Faster Plan on 4/29 in preparation for that.race. I realize that wanting to improve the bike and having no cycling for one month does not make since, but right now that is the situation.   Maybe I can work more diligently on the run. My next "A" race will be an Oly in September.

So, knowing the above, I'd appreciate you training recommendations for the next couple of months.

Thanks, John

Comments

• Options

John,

I don't really see anything unusual with your description of your experience in the 2 x 20' interval session. Could be motivation issues on the second interval, could be that these are very legit intervals, etc. IOW, we've all been there :-) It might be helpful to modify these, if you want: add up the total interval time (2 x 20 = 40', in this case) and then get in that total of 40' via whatever length of intervals feel right for you that day. For example, 15, 15, 10, or 14, 10, 8, 8, etc. Just do your best to keep each interval between 8 and 20' long but exercise your best judgment on what is right for you that day. 

I also don't see anything unusual with your Oly wattage given your FTP. Most athletes Oly watts shake out to be about 90-95% of FTP so I'd say you're in the ballpark, definitely. 

Re your trip: it is what it is. It might be better to use the Run Focus plan during that trip vs the GF plan, as it will be run-heavy and bike-light = much of the thinking has already been done for you.