Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

JK's Micro Thread

I am having pretty bad hip pain,  thinking it is the ITB as anyone I stretch out the hip I get a burning pain right where the ITB crosses over.  This started at the Martian marathon last weekend but got worse Sunday when I ran a killer 5K race.  

My question is: is it OK to bike and swim only this week? I start into the get faster plan, week 5 today.  

Comments

• Options
    Raised that I put this into the wrong forum! On my phone the macro looked like micro! :-(
  • Options
    No worries, I moved this over to the Micro Forum, P will be with your shortly
  • Options
    Jennifer, I think your schedule is the problem and your body is just bearing the bad news. Good that it's the ITB and not something fragile. I ran boston a week ago, nay 8 days, and still haven't worked out. Rest is sooooo important...and your body needs it. Bike and swim only is okay, but you have to do 10-15' of foam rolling a night and some light stretching several times a day. www.athletestreatingathletes.com is a great resource for you...
  • Options
    Thank you Coach P! On further eval, it appears to be bursitis. I am on self-imposed running rest until I get it straightened out.

On the plus side - I got first in my AG, even with walking a bit on the 3rd mile due to hip pain. :-) Boom! *with some literal boom in the hip*
  • Options
    boom and a BOOM. we need to get some friggin "BOOM" shorts made up...
  • Options
    Ugh.

My hip is better but not all better. I ended up taking an entire week off of training as everything that I do moves my hip and has caused for some sloooooow healing. Since total rest I have seen large improvements in pain and mobility.

I can now walk normally, and walk downstairs with no issues. Walking upstars is still a little painful, as is getting in and out of a seated position. Anything that puts a large amount of weight on my left hip trying to propel myself upward still hurts.

I have decided that I will be taking running and biking off until this Sunday to allow for more healing. I cannot afford a permanent injury.

So my question is more a need for validation. I am OK taking another week off (swims excluded), given that I am in the Int. Get Faster plan ending April 19th, right? I have a half Ironman on June 23rd and my first "A" HIM on August 4th so my HIM training is officical starting April 20th - and I am starting to get a little nervous that I am falling behind.

In my logical head I know that I need the rest physically and in my heart I have actually sort of welcomed it after going non-stop since IMFL in 2012. I needed a break and I think that this injury was just what I needed - in a sick sort of way.

So my 2nd question is this: How do I get back into it?

Cycling should be OK with the exception of standing out of the saddle at first as this will add strain to my hip much like running does.

With running, I was planning on taking it sort of easy my first few runs just to see how the hip fares. If it is OK I was going to take my first week back as more "proceeding with caution" with the hope that I emerge each workout pain free. If I do - then my 2nd week back I was going to go for effort in my workouts - attempting them as Rx'd.

Does this sound wise? At what point do I start to rethink my training plans? Meaning - if I have to take 2 more weeks off, not just 1 - how do I recover and get back into the game?
  • Options
    JK, there is no such thing as falling behind when listening to your body. Period. What would "on target" be right now...aside from imminent self destruction. You are doing the right thing...and I would really check into aqua running in the meantime...it's a great workout and could keep you running in a sick, soggy kind of way. image I suggest doing the runs on the elliptical if you can (no impact, controlled scenario) or on a soft, even surface (high school track?)....it can make a difference on those early days! Please keep me posted...

as for the "damage control" your A race is still a ways off..target is to have you 100% or really close by Memorial Day!
  • Options
    Thank you Coach P! :-)
  • Options
    I rode for 45 miles Saturday at a good clip and no hip pain afterwards. In fact today is the first day that I have not felt my hip at all! I forgot about the injury until a moment ago when I was braced for some pain getting out of my chair, but it never came.

*sigh* Relief!

I was honestly begining to think that I would never know a pianless hip again.

So my POA is to bike and swim this week, maybe easing back into running by doing a modified easy easy run/walk to test the waters out mid week, but laying off of running until Saturday.

I have a duathlon that I am doing for fun, so I would like to take the 1st run cautiously, ride my ride, then take the 2nd run cautiously. If I feel at any time pain twinges like I did during the 5k that this happened at, then I pull myself from the race immediately.

I have a long summer ahead of me. No need to take myself out now!

Does this sound OK?
  • Options
    I like where you are at, but not 100% sold on the du (lots of other ways to test your hip). I'd look to find great flat soft running surfaces to get back into the work...and plan on a 3-4 week healthy build up to "regular" training if that's possible!!!
  • Options
    OK I am going to defer to the bigger picture and admit that I am sort of rethinking the du myself at this point. I typically take 3rd-1st at this race in my division, so the temptation to push for that PR may just be too great once the gun goes off.

Thinking that before I race again I need to get to the ROOT of this issue and not just fix the symptoms.

Whoa... when did I get responsible?

So new POA - bike, swim, ease back into running and not worry about racing until I am healed, 100%. I honeslty have no emotional attachment to my race schedule this year - my eye is on 2014. We shall call this year the rebuild of Jenn!

Thank you for the feedback! I am on board with the pulling out of the race at this point.

• Options
    WOOT! Love it....thank you for listening!!!