Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

ironman training - joining in at week 7

Hi Patrick - Based on my race plan, i switched over from the off-season plan to ironman plan starting this week.  I see that I am now in week 7 for IMLP (according to the 20 wk plan).  Since I have not been swimming in the off-season, i'm wondering if i just simply pick up the swimming in week 7 as it is dictated in the plan - or is there a build (and test) that I should be concentrated on (ie start back at week 1)?  I'm Worried that I missed too much of swimming and don't want to come in too hot on the swim (and risk injury, etc).  Any advice on how to approach that would be great. First time ironman so I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Also - one additional question for training this week - for the bike portion of training (which are long ones on weekends - 210m & 150m), should i be outside riding or on a trainer? What is recommended?
  • Options
    @Tyler, both great questions. The swimming is all about technique right now...at least for your first two weeks. So it's drills only; dig up the Swim eBook from the swim section of the Wiki and drill drill drill. Then we can start doing 2 full sessions and 1 drill only session, etc.

For the weekend ideally outside, but if the weather sucks you can stay in and take off 30' off each...
  • Options
    thx Patrick. So to clarify - I should be doing technique sessions as described on page 18 of the swim e-book in lieu of the swim sections listed on the IM intermediate plan...then, after 2 weeks, i'll transition back to the IM plan as you suggested above. Right?
  • Options
    @Tyler, yes totally. We want you swimming well before we have you swimming hard!
  • Options
    @Patrick - Great -thx. If i put together a 30-60 second swim video (from several different angles) and post it in these forums could you provide brief analysis on my swim stroke? This will be my third season swimming and i've been mostly self taught (had two limited lessons). Two half-irons i've done sub-40 but not by much (say 39). I'd like to get your input if i can while we are working on technique. Let me know - thanks!
  • Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! Bring it!
  • Options
    @patrick - here's a short vid (getting as many angles as possible) of my swim stroke - up and back in the Y pool...looking for any technique (or other) pointers!!

• Options
    I LOVE YOUR SOUNDTRACK!!!! image. You are the classic "quiet" swimmer, precisely placing your hands so as not to alert the God of the Lane or something. You need to drop that while arm right in to 4 or 8 o'clock and let that rotate your body. Right now your hands are too high along the surface; get them down more, and naturally, and feel the rotation happen!
  • Options
    haha - thx @patrick! Glad you liked the tunes. Thx for the tip which i've implemented over the past week 1/2 -- i've noticed a speed increase with hand dive at 4oclock. I think it increases leverage for the pull. Is my pull decent or does that need work? Thx!!
  • Options
    That change sounds great! I say roll with what you've got now until it feels natural!