Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Training ajustment due to injury from bike incident

Hey Coaches,

A week ago I took a dump on my bike which resulted in a rather large hole on my knee then it got infected.  This injury is keeping me out of the water for a month.  Also to boot, I am having trouble with running due to a morton's neuroma. So running workouts are currently on eliptical until I can get a cortizone shot. On a the plus side.. biking is no problem!  I have Quassy half coming up and will be trying the Vasa trainer to see if I can keep up my swim. Have you ever had anyone have to use this or the Triton Swim Trainer for their swim and will it work?

My goals have gone from a doing well at Quassy half and IMLP to hope the heck to survive both. Any other suggestions on how to help me stay on track would be appreciated. Never used the forum so hope this is the right place to ask the questions.

Thanks...Thea

Comments

• Options
    @Thea, holy moly bad luck!!!! Glad you are on the mend. Yes you can use the Vasa trainer, but it's much shorter like 10-15' workouts as you get wicked tired soon. I might post to the General Discussion thread for folks to give you their workouts (I don't have any!). Since your run is compromised, I suggest you switch to the default non-run version of your plan:

Do Wed interval bike on Tuesday AND Thursday. Then Sat/Sun as planned. Mon/Wed/Fri are vasa and the elliptical. I suggest keeping the "long" run to like 60 mins (wed) and do shorter intervals of 1 minutes (3 minutes rest) on Monday/Friday.

Consistency is key, not the perfect plan...we'll get you there!!!
  • Options

I will try the modifications and see how it goes.  I managed 30 minutes on Vasa yesterday to simulate about the time it would take me to swim my 1.2 miles and will do the same tomorrow. I feel good today.  Luckily, swimming is my strongest part of the tri. I will post out to general and see if anyone has suggested vasa workouts.

Thanks Coach!