Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Week 12 run test?

Hi Coach,
Thanks for your reply on switching up the big training day last week. I was fighting the wind all day and feel like it really tool me off pace, but overall i feel like I'm on track and dialing in on my nutrition. I actually have two questions:

1. Week 12 of IM intermediate references a run test, but I'm not clear what the time/distance is for the test. I did complete the bike test today. Regardless, I always track AVG HR, etc. See workout description below.

Thursday 120 min
MS: 2 x (25' @ z1/LRP/Easy, 25' @ z2/MP/Steady) with 5' recovery.
Coach Notes: Be sure to capture your Avg HR for test and your time. Use the EN calculators to determine your vDOT and training paces / zones. Note: You might have difficulty selecting the proper pace in your initial testing exploits; give yourself time. If you really mess up, you might have to stop and retest later in the day (or week).

2. We're on a Disney World vacation with the kids from Wed, 5/8 through Wed 5/15. These are weeks 14 and 15. I purposely started my IM plan one week early because of this planned trip so I can repeat a week and still be on track. That said any recommendations for how to plan out those two weeks? I planned on getting some good swimming and running in and maybe some interval work on a stationary bike, but I will not have my bike and therefore will not be able to go on any long rides. I thought about trying to squeeze one more big ride in on Tues/may 7, having come off a weekend of long rides and substituting another long ride on Thu/May 16 instead of the long run (which I can get in while I'm away). This would be followed by the long weekend rides. Thoughts?

Best regards,
Arun

P.S. congrats on a terrific run in Boston. Of course, such a sickening cloud over the day. Glad to hear you are alright, but like us I'm sure you know people who came too close and were perhaps unlucky this day.

Comments

• Options
    @Arun, I fixed that workout, my apologies for the confusion!!! Re your Disney trip, I suggest you do Monday 5/6 as planned, Tuesday is the bike from Wed. Wed is off/travel. Thurs through next Tuesday is like a daily run. I personally got up every day at 5am and snuck out to do 5 loops of the Pirate cove (or whatever took me 45'). Then I was back and ready to go all day with the kids, no need to interrupt the day with other stuff. When you get back, then it's Thursday off, Friday Swim only, then Sat / Sun as planned that week!

ps - thanks for your PS. still trying to put together what it all means; my race seems so insignificant vs what's happened...such a tragedy but lots of goodness being brought to light as well...