Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Kar-Ming's Macro forum

Rich

To start, I am in week 17 of HIM: intermediate plan with my goal race IMLP.  I also have a HIM on 5/19.  So I was hoping to insert the Big Bike Week next week as I am off work starting Monday @ 0700.  Over the past 4 weeks my running mileage has been sporadic as I have had 2 very hectic weeks at work.  My question is this:  I have finally gotten back some semblance of
running mojo this week and was wondering if I should do the BBW (or even BTW) or just
continue with week 18 of HIM plan.

The running times/miles for the past six weeks are:

Apr 15-21:  3h50m, 26.85 miles

Apr 7-14:   49m, 6 miles (post half marathon week with much more fatigued than expected hence I delayed running)

Apr 1-6:     3h, 23 miles (half marathon)

Mar 25-30: 1h40m, 11.5 miles (post Vacation transition week where I had a ton of fatigue from previous hard ski week)

Mar 18-24: Transition week

Mar 11-17:  3h28m, 24 miles (Last week of Get Faster)

Since I started the HIM plan 3 weeks ago I have been riding consistently 3 hours indoors.  Now that my work schedule has lightened up (plus good weather), I should begin to hit 6 hrs of riding (indoor/outdoor) consistently.

Thanks

Comments

• Options

My notes:

• You'll get the best bang for your buck, training response-wise, if you apply these big volume weeks closer to your race. So if your intention here is to improve your fitness for IMLP, it would be better if you applied those hours closer to the race. That said, it sounds like you're jumping on a no-work-gotta-get-outside opportunity to just jump on your bike and ride which I totally get and support, but I'm just putting that first point out there. 
    • With where you are with your season, I don't think BTW or BBW really matters in the long run but, given your description of where your run is right now, I think it would be valuable to maintain running frequency during whatever you decide to do. That is, if you do a BBW, do your best to get in your schedule long run that week and 3-4 additional short runs. Would be fine to turn the interval run way down in intensity but keep the running frequency that week.