Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

Hello All and power ?

Hello, I am newbie to EN. Will be heading to the woodlands this may, Not my best shape but will try to get to finish line in one piece. Quick question to see what you guys suggest. Ii have not been able to put in the time that I would like on the bike and with only two weeks left to really add any volume I am wondering if I should concentrate on high intensity work or some longer less intense work. I plan on doing a long rise this weekend 80 to 100 miles but any other time on the trainer/ bike will be limited to 2 hrs max. First time using and racing with power so also getting used to it. Current FTP is 220. Up from 180 when I first started using it back in November and 20 min. Test. Any suggestions as to what can get me the most bang for my time ? I welcome all suggestions and wish you all a great race in May!

Comments

• Welcome Gusatvo.....looking forward to meeting you at the Woodlands.

Have you been following the OS our Race plans?....or your own training plan over the recent months? Did it include speed/interval work on the bike?

While it is too close to the race to make gains...you want to include shorter rides with harder segments to maintain speed/strenght...so we would typically be doing a 1hr ride during the week which would include 2x20(or equivalent) at Z4 power (90-95% of FTP)....

Also on the weekend long rides would include large parts ridden at High Z2-Low Z3 (say 75%-80%of FTP)...

Hope this helps...

• Hey Joseph thanks for the reply!  definately look foward meeting some folks at the Woodlands.  I havent followed any plans here at EN as I literally just joined a couple days ago and just getting familiar with the format and the site.   Basically I have just done very unstructured workouts.  I literally just do anything I can ( mainly roadtrainer or spinervals).   I try to choose something with intesity in it and just go at it. Part of the reason of joining EN is that i am hoping to train with more purpose in all disciplines.    My swin sucks literally and i usally just go and crank laps out.   ( not good i know! and my swinm times reflect that)  my runs are not too bad  ( at least for my age, time to train and ability i think!,  i am a 3:23 marathoner). I won't be winning any marathons or entry into Kona but that is not my goal.   I just want to get faster within my time to train and for the next IM after TX ( IM Cozumel)  so thats why i want the guidance of EN and feedback from the members here who probably have the same life challanges ( kids , busy job, etc)  but want to try to be as good as we can be with our time.

Thanks for the recommendation above I will try doing some worksouts like that from the next to weeks. I know I am going in this race ill prepared but I just going with the mind set to finish and have as much fun as possible.  Look foward to being more active on here and hopefully meeting some of you guys at the Woodlands! 

• @Gustavo, after you go ahead and convert to a regular member, be sure to head over to the Resources / Race Central page to learn more about execution!!!