Home Announcements 🎙
Options

2013 End of OutSeason Call for DATA and a SURVEY (short)

As so many of you move towards the race season, please take a minute to update your OS final data here. This is a critical set of data we use as coaches when evaluating our plan effectiveness at the end of each year, and the change to a 14-week protocol (from 20) is large enough that we’d like to be able to compare them. 

>> Update Your Data

In addition, we have a short OutSeason Exit survey to capture some information from you about the value of the plans, etc. This will only take 5’ of your time but makes a big difference...thanks in advance for your help! 

>> Take the Survey

Comments

• Options
    There's no 'February OS Start" option, so I'll just add my feedback as a reply (even though it's just week 13 for me):
    -16 weeks is too short for the Advanced plan; revert to 20. But this is within context of a 2-3 week transition to a 12-week in-season.
    -best practice for advanced and 'seasoned' athlete (ie mostly plateaued; has lots of years of IM work) is the approach that Pat and Trent took in 2012 - run as written, bike as FTP build as normal for weeks 1 -8, then from weeks 9 onwards, Tuesday bike is 1h with 2 x 20 FTP, thurs bike is v02 with total work accumulation of 15' "on" time (as 30/30, or 1/1, or whatever the athlete can build to ... 1.5/1.5 seems plenty for me), sat bike is 2 x 20 FTP.
    -for advanced athletes, I would suggest run as 5 x per week, up to a ceiling of 40 miles. The extra run falls Thursday as a 30' EP with strides. I don't think there's a downside, and this will segue to my recommendation of 6 x week running in-season.
    -for advanced athletes, I would suggest week 9 or 10 be a 'little big OS' week with a total of 12-13 hours bike and run, with main sets as normal, and extra work as 1.5 tues bike, 1.5 thurs bike, 3h Sat bike, doing all extra time as ABP. The important part here is then revert to the lower hours / high intensity for the subsequent weeks ... and you'll be a monster. It doesn't explicitly target the ceiling nor the roof, but it does widen that mystical magical 'bandwidth,' and you are popped out the other side VERY strong, and able to leverage this for the remaining weeks. Plus, it's good for a pound of weight loss = higher w/kg and v02. Think of it as 'controlled more is more' training in the OS.

• Options

I can't get the spreadsheet to operate for me, so here is a summary of where I got to from the start of the outseason in late October through the get faster (intermediate) phase that I finished last week.  I am  now in Week 9 of the Intermediate Full Iron plan.

Male, age 41.  Weight now approx. 154 pounds.  In November, about 157.  Height 5'8"

FTP November:  217

FTP May:  262

vdot November:  45.69

vdot May:  49.13

So far so good . . .

• Options
    Thanks folks!!!!