Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

Wetsuit penalty

So I hear there is a 10 minute penalty for using a wetsuit if the temp is high. My question for the experiences guys is: How much faster will the suit make me ? Will offset the fatigue of swimming without plus add significant speed?
I rather swim with it if I come out fresh and at the end I am only down 2 min or so. I can make that up on the bike or run a whole lot easier. Might be one of those execution topics for us who are not strong swimmers. Any input?

Comments

• It's not a penalty. It's not like they add 10 minutes to your finish time.

The only penalty, if you even want to call it that, is that you'd only have to 16:50 to finish the race as opposed to 17:00. How many people would that really affect? A handful???

I 100% recommend a wetsuit in a wetsuit "optional" swim if you meet the following criteria:

1. You know darn well that you don't overheat in 80 degree water with a wetsuit.

2. You know darn well that you won't be in contention for a Kona slot or AG podium.

If I was still doing IMTX I would definitely wear a wetsuit because...

1. I run kind of cold blooded so I know (from experience) I don't overheat in a sleeveless wetsuit in 80 degree water.

2. While I planned on finishing in the 10:50 range, I'm still at least 1 hour out of Kona contention in my AG.

3. Although I'm a pretty good swimmer, the wetsuit makes the swim so much easier from an exertion standpoint that it's a no-brainer. It's also a bit faster but that's not why I'd wear it.
  • thanks Bob that actually makes the decision a no brainer.  I thought and i think a lot of people think that they actually add 10 min to your time vs giving you 10 less to finish the race.   absolutely no brainer.  i will definately use wetsuit unless the water is so hot i wont need it.  ut if if anywhere the border line i on it.   

• The other penalty....is you are not eligible for AG awards or Kona Slots...if that matter...just sayin'.