Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

HIM Advanced Week 16 - The official Rx on my toe...

Coach P,

The official word is that my toe is broken.  It's the pinky toe, so I can still bike and swim without any issues, but I need to figure out what to do now with the rest of my plan leading up to Eagleman on June 9th.  Doc's advice:  no serious running AT ALL for 2 weeks, and then activity as tolerated... i.e. try a little, see how it feels, etc, etc.  The more I run on it, the slower the healing process.  

So, I need help adjusting the plan.  I found a little bit of info on Aqua Running - today I did an hour of hard 5' intervals with short recoveries in between.... the guidance I found was actually by Jesse Kropelnicki, which suggested taking half the run volume and adding it to the bike, and the other half doing exercise that works the hip flexors, etc that are more specific to running.  That sounds doable (although sucky), but I'm just wondering if I could get your guidance on incorporating that into my plan.  It is not very feasible for me to do aqua running every time I have a run workout in the plan (i.e. the Wed brick run, weekend 30-minute run b4 bike, Monday interval run and Friday hill run), as the pool I normally swim at is not deep enough to do it without touching the bottom (does that matter?) and the two other pools that have a better setup for me to deep water run don't have childcare for my little one, so while I can make that happen once a week, more is tough.  

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts and see what guidance you might have.  I am new to aqua running, so any specific thoughts on that would be helpful as well.  The thought of bailing on E-man crossed my mind, but I can't get my money back at this point anyway, so figured I'd power through and try to get to the start line healthy and make it a game-time decision on whether I can run the half-marathon or not.

Thanks in advance!

kortney

Comments

• Options
    Kortney, so sorry about that...broken toes just suck. Wonder if you can tape it up to its buddy on race day. Anywho, two weeks off is good.

Sorry for the delay but I spend some time writing this up for all to see...here in the wiki, our Run Jail protocol...good luck!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Run+Jail+--+How+To+Modify+Your+Plan+To+Stay+on+Tra

• Options
    Thanks Coach P! Love the "run jail" title. Awesome... because it does feel a bit like jail!

Question on the water running... do you need to be in deep water, or can you do this touching the bottom as well? the pool that is easiest for me to get to only gets to about 5' deep ,and the lane starts at 3' or 3'6"... can't remember which. Just trying to figure out the logistics and how to fit the extra pool time in with the rest of my life! image
  • Options
    actually, scratch what I said above... after doing some more research, looks like the aqua running needs to be done where you can't touch.

How much does the actual order of the "run jail" workouts matter? i.e. could I do the Mon water running session on Tuesday instead, or is that not good since its another leg workout with the interval bike? Basically, it is easiest for me to do those (especially the long run) on Tues/Thurs. I have to go to a different pool that is twice as far, and I don't have anyone to watch my 3yo on MWF. I could manage the Wed water run in the therapy pool at my gym... it's pretty warm, but for 30 minutes or so could prob stomach it. The Monday WR, I could probably manage if I cut it down to 30min-45 min, but would be easier to do if I could just move it to Tues.

The long run - I definitely need to do this on Thurs... with the length of the workout. So can I do the ABP ride on Friday and the long water run on Thurs?

Sorry to make it complicated... it's kinda like a puzzle with the kiddos and work! But I appreciate any thoughts you have on moving the pieces around. Thanks!!!!!

• Options
    Kortney, I get it! I say you go Monday OFF, Tuesday Swim and Swim run, Wed = Interval bike, Thurs = long run, Friday = Sunday ABP ride, Saturday = Saturday ride, Sunday = off or potential swim day...thoughts?
  • Options
    That sounds good, I think. Maybe easier for me to swim on Mondays, so maybe I could just swim Mon and Tues? Getting to the pool on Monday isn't a problem if I don't have to figure out how to do a water run too. And the back-to-back swims are ok, right?

Also, as an aside... I altered the speed swim workout a little bit... I am finding that my form is apparently really hosed because my stroke count has gone up and my splits are glacial... I have gotten way slower since last year! So, today I did my 100s and 50s on the pace clock so I can just focus more on keeping good form (instead of the 50 sprint/50ez and 25 sprint/25 ez). It worked - I was able to improve my average pace/100 today by at least 5 sec per 100, and more like 7-8 seconds for the majority of the workout. So, if you don't have any other thoughts to direct me otherwise, I am thinking I may just keep swimming those sprint workouts steady on the pace clock but focused on keeping that good form. (I think when I do the sprint/easy workouts my form tends to fall apart). Sound good?

Thanks for your help. Today when I was doing my water running, I was doing it in a lane that was only 5' deep, which was ok, but at one point I banged my toe on the pool bottom and then I couldn't even water run any longer b/c the toe hurt so bad. This sucks in a major, major way!!!! I just want to run... for real!
  • Options
    KR, yes the back to back swims is okay...your dedication is INSPIRING! We absolutely want to focus on great form over speed / effort / etc, I like your swim "hack" -- keep it there until you feel comfortable that the progress has backed off and you need a new training stimulus!
  • Options
    awesome. Thanks coach!