Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Re: Thursday long run

Hey Coach Patrick,

The last two weeks I've been feeling incredibly strong on the run, however today towards the end ofmthe run I realized that I went out a bit too fast in the beginning. Currently my Z1 for the run is 10:23 and my Z2 is 8:57. During my workouts however I've noticed my pace has dropped drastically. For instance my z1 runs are typically between 9:20-9:45 and my Z2 is between 8:20-8:45. While the workout says it's okay to drop 10-30" off the z1 if you're feeling good, is it okay to push the run a little harder or is it better to stay in the zones? If today was a race I know I would have faded the last 10 miles as my legs started feeling incredibly heavy since I went out a bit too fast during the first two 30' intervals.

Thanks,

Ted

Comments

• Options
    @Ted, therein lies the rub of pushing the numbers....good runs but then your body starts to push back pretty hard at some point. You earn the right to push the final few miles by being smart early. Especially on the run; you can always "Bounce back" on the bike but not so on the run...

Also curious to know when your last test was...sounds like you might have a bump coming!
  • Options
    Hey Coach P,

I actually did my most recent test after WF as I didn't do the test the week of as you suggested that I should not do it prior to the 1/2. I did the test about an hour and a half after my swim on a Tuesday so it is quite possible that I didn't get "ideal" test results. The run is honestly what scares me the most of the entire IM especially after my run performance at WF. Ideally I'd like to be able to run the marathon at a 10' mile pace. Reading the race report was extremely helpful for IMCDA and I'll make sure to heed to the advice this weekend after my long ride and stick with jogging the full hour. The previous weekend I did 88 miles on the bike followed by a 40 minute run and felt absolutely amazing on the run. towards the end I realized I really need to hold back my legs as I could feel one of my quads about to cramp.

Thanks,

Ted
  • Options
    Ted, great update. Remember so much of your run performance hinges on how well you pace and fuel the bike..not just the run fitness you bring to the table. image So monitor that stuff as well!!!