Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Big day question

Hi Coach,

On week 11 of Int IM plan, and tomorrow is my 2nd big day. During my 1st big day I bonked big time on the run, and concluded that most likely was due to a slightly overcooked bike leg and more because of poor fluid/electrolyte intake. My goal for tomorrow is to nail the nutrition.

Problem is that it's going to be 50 degrees and raining all day, meaning I'm going to be cold and not sweating much at all compared to a warm day. I'm debating trying to simulate the whole thing indoors, so that I get a sweat rate going that's closer to normal. This obviously has it's own drawbacks. What are your thoughts? Again, mostly worried about practicing nutrition.

Thanks!

Dan

Comments

• Options

I ended up going outside, and as predicted it was cold and wet so my sweat rate was really low. That being said, it went really well. I hit my numbers for bike and run, and didn't have any issues with nutrition.

Any sense in adding another "big day" into the plan somewhere in the next month? I think it would make sense to try it on a hot day, just to see if I can fuel myself properly and avoid the issues I ran into the first time.

• Options
    Yes to a hotter session, but you don't need a dedicated day as a 4-4.5 hour ride is a LONG DAY in and of itself!!! image Every ride is a change to practice nutrition...so continue this great focus you have, your race day will thank you!