Home General Training Discussions
Options

Intervals: FTP versus Duration

Hey Folks...

With all the back-and-forth in the November OS about the typo error in today's advance plan bike workout (e.g. 3 x 12min at FT) and some peeps doing three intervals while others staying with two intervals as was meant to be, a general training question popped into my head.

I will be performing the workout early this evening in my pain cave and am not sure what interval count and FTP level I will use, pending responses to the following:

I do not think I could hold the second half of the 3rd interval close to 90% - 100%.  The 2 x 10's really challenged me. Got them done but watts started to drop below 90% last few minutes of 2nd interval.  I've been running heavily due to marathon in 3 weeks so legs not fresh for these bike workouts.

Question.....what is the better workout (all other things equal)?

(a) 2 x 12min at 100%, or

(b) 3 x 12min at 90%

Comments

• Options

well, the TSS of each (work intervals only) would be

a) 2 x 12' at 100%: TSS = 24

b) 3 x 12' at 90%: TSS = 29

so I'm going to go with b, since that's the driver of the Performance Manager Chart.

OTOH, one could extend this logic indefinitely, and the next thing you know, you'd be doing LSD training , so as far as recommendations go, I'd say stick with the plan.

Thoughts?

Mike

• Options

Interesting... from the newbie...

I understand that we nail the numbers as close to 100%.  90% is close but is it close enough for a true Z4 interval or closer to Z3.  There is never anything really equal is there? 

• Options

From Patrick:

While more won't hurt, it doesn't help either. IF you want to do an experiment of one and report back in a few weeks, great! But please..please...don't try to recruit others to go out and do more. This is a FIVE MONTH PLAN that is harder than most of your in season training and getting carried away (more than we ask you to) early on is a recipe for problems down the road.  I am all for having fun and crushing myself..but if my 2x12 seems easy and 3x12 seems okay....maybe I am not riding my 2x12 hard enough????

Hit 100%. 2x12. Done. Awesome workout. You're stronger already. image

• Options
    Posted By Linda Patch on 17 Nov 2009 02:50 PM

From Patrick:

While more won't hurt, it doesn't help either. IF you want to do an experiment of one and report back in a few weeks, great! But please..please...don't try to recruit others to go out and do more. This is a FIVE MONTH PLAN that is harder than most of your in season training and getting carried away (more than we ask you to) early on is a recipe for problems down the road.  I am all for having fun and crushing myself..but if my 2x12 seems easy and 3x12 seems okay....maybe I am not riding my 2x12 hard enough????

Hit 100%. 2x12. Done. Awesome workout. You're stronger already.

Yup. And to that I'd add this: If you can't do 2 x 10' @ 100%, your legs are telling you something. Most likely it's that their friggin' cooked from training for a marathon.   From what I've read (from our friends Andy Coggan and Hunter Allen's book), 90% is the very lowest end of what's considered threshold, although it's all a continuum. Lots of bang for the buck in the 88-92% zone though. If I were in your shoes, I'd do the 2 x 12', and go for a big negative split within each interval. Start at 90%, and build throughout. If you can do it, start the second one at 90-95% and build. That approach has worked for me many, many times when I just didn't think I could do it.

• Options

Yes, to be clear about my earlier post.  If your question is "what should I do?", then listen to Linda and Josh, and ignore everything I said.

If your question was "well, just for a thought experiment, which one has more training stress?", well, then see my earlier post.  I always forget to do that...

Mike

• Options

FTP = power you can hold for an Hour of Power. Assuming you have tested accurately, set your FTP correctly, done all the admin stuff on your PM, etc, then 2 x 10, or 12', should be a problem. You're only riding for 12' at a power you've demonstrated to be able to ride at for 60'.

If it is a problem, ie, watts are dropping off at the end:

1. Are you shagged? If yes, are you doing more than the plan calls for elsewhere?
    2. Did you have a good test, when you set your FTP?
    3. Admin stuff on the PM correct?

Rich