Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Camp Weekend Swimming

Anyone planning to bring their wet suit and do a little swimming during the camp weekend. I'd really like to do a lap on the course and need a swimming partner. Anyone? Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Joe, I plan to swim Thursday afternoon when I get there. May also swim one of the evenings while everyone else is drinking beer.

Not a fast swimmer but I also don't mind swimming alone - especially in Mirror Lake in June. Kind of hard to be alone with all the other athletes out swimming.
  • Options
    I would like to join you too if possible.  Even if we all swim at different speeds just keeping an eye out for each other is a good thing.  Once you know what time you plan to head to the Lake let us know.  I'm sure others will be interested too.
  • Options
    I might be in for a Thursday PM swim - will know more when it gets closer. Maybe we will have the GroupMe app set up for this, like at races?
  • Options
    At the previous LP camps I swim Thur pm @ arrival....then sat am before the 100 mi bike...last yr I also took a quick dip sun after the run...but that was mostly a recovery swim
  • Options
    Steve, et al,
    I probably won't arrive in LP until 5pmish on Thursday. Let me know what time you guys think you may swim that evening and I'll see if I can join you. If I'm not there in time, I'd definitely like to go Sat am before the ride. If we swim Sat we can decide on a start time at the reception TH evening.
    Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    Please let us know. We are leaving DC area at 6:00 AM on Thursday. So when we get to town, we are game for a nice simple swim. image
  • Options
    My plan is to leave 6 AM from Bangor ME Thursday for an 8.5 hr drive. Get there 2:30ish and hope to be ready to swim by 3:30 after checking in if I can.

Really need to get GroupME setup for mid-day Thursday. That could help a lot with everyone arriving from all over. Knowing that you can/can't make it a certain time will inform your driving style and may prevent needless speeding tickets...... Then again, texting while driving is TABOO! We all want to be safe out there.
  • Options
    I can bail out of work around 1:00, and be at the lake at 3:30, or can wait to swim later in the afternoon/evening if more people can make it then.
  • Options
    I can also make a 3:30 swim.
  • Options
    I might be able to do the 3:30 swim on Thursday. I will leave CT around 10:00 it is a 4hr drive. See you all at L.P.
  • Options
    Im traveling from NJ and will be in for a 3:30 swim. Not sure what GroupMe is??? How will we coordinate getting together?
  • Options
    @ Maureen - GoupMe is a service that sends text messages out to everyone on a list. Once setup, anyone can send a text and everyone gets it.

It works great for these kind of situations where everyone is coming from all over, doing different things.

Looks like the 3:30 swim is going to be good for most. Can't wait!!
  • Options
    let's pick a place to meet...how about the IM plaque @ 3:30
  • Options
    IM plaque sounds good to me.  (Not that I know where that is but I'm sure I'll find it.)  Also, I'm sure many of us are staying at the Marriot and will probably bump into each other in the lobby.   I'm really looking forward to this whole weekend!
  • Options
    Swim training begins promptly at 6am every day during the camp:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

(I know, we've all seen it multiple times, but it's still hilarious)
  • Options
    LOL! Cracks me up every time I see it.....
  • Options
    IM plaque
  • Options
    So, I'm assuming it's "official" that we're meeting at this plague (shown above) at 3:30PM for a swim prior to the 6PM camp kick-off at the Marriott, correct? I'm planning travel (9 hours in a car....though Canada/customs....ugh) so want to get there in time for a swim.
  • Options
    @ Kori - Yep, that's where all the kewl peeps will be.....
  • Options
    I am not exactly Kewl, but i will try to be there in time for the swim. Depending on DC, Baltimore, New Jersey, and NYC traffic.
  • Options
    Do we do our practice swims in a clockwise direction now?
  • Options

Posted By Robert Sabo on 11 Jun 2013 10:21 AM

Do we do our practice swims in a clockwise direction now?

That's my plan.... no sense to go the wrong way.....

• Options

Posted By Jonathan Brown on 11 Jun 2013 10:06 AM

I am not exactly Kewl, but i will try to be there in time for the swim. Depending on DC, Baltimore, New Jersey, and NYC traffic.

Ouch! Man that seems like it might be a brutal ride!  I hope all the traffic is going the other way ... for everything south of Albany.

• Options
    Are folks going to wear long sleeve wetsuits or no sleeves?  I tried to look up the water temp but couldn't find it.
  • Options
    I only have a long sleeve wetsuit, so that's what I am using. I imagine the water will be on the cool side but not freezing cold. Been a very cool spring for the most part, and this week in Lake Placid the temps are going to be in the 40's each night and high 60's during the day.

I think the only hot day this year was race day at Quassy!
  • Options
    I always wear sleeved so not an issue for me. Its been in the 40 s at night so I'm thinking it's low 70's at hottest.
  • Options
    Found this - looks like mid 60's a few days ago, and unlikely to warm much more. We will also have some road work to deal with:
    http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/22143/20130607/this-weekend-in-the-adirondacks
  • Options

IRONMAN Lake Placid The first June 2013 reading is 65º at the famous Mirror Lake Boat Rental dock. Game on

This is per the Lake Placid Ironman Facebook page.  i would recommend following them since they give temps every week.
  • Options
    Thanks Jonathan! See you Thurs. Safe drive.
  • Options
    I'm cold no matter what so I'll be wearing a long sleeve wetsuit and maybe even a neoprene cap and booties, lol. See you all on Thursday!