Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

This weekend: RR or 70.3?

I posted this in Micro, but thought I'd ask you guys too...

I live near Lawrence, KS, so the Kansas 70.3 is really convenient. Actually have done it the last 3 years. Thinking of this weekend, which would be better, and/or how much of an issue if I did the 70.3 instead. In other works, are there significant concerns or benefits one way or the other?

I have not done a Tri yet this season.

Thanks!
Greg

PS: can't wait to meet everyone.

Comments

• Options

It depends if you are capable (most are not) of treating the 70.3 as a training day vs. a race.   I know a lot of people that would say they are going to use an event as a training opportunity and then get caught up in the hype of the race and push the paces, get injured, have a hard time recovering, etc..  2 weeks out from the IM - stick with the plan and do the RR.   Go be a volunteer or just go and watch Crowie race for the 2nd time in 8 days.

• Options
    as far as what would work for me, very bad idea.     you miss an important workout.     and will still be recovering two weeks later.
  • Options

This is a common question. Here's the EN outlook - the race rehearsal is for two important reasons: 

• Test your nutrition and pacing strategies over the full length/time of the IM bike ride and
    • Test your ability to run off of that full length IM ride, without putting a hole in your upcoming training. 

An HIM in place of the RR fails on two counts: the bike is not long enough, and the bike/run combo will tire you out for the upcoming week's workouts.

Now, there is a small subset of athletes for whom an HIM at this stage before an IM *might* be OK: Those who LOVE to race AND have no doubts, after multiple years and IMs, of what their current nutrition/pacing/run capabilities are. Having said that, the times I've done an HIM close to an IM (and I've done close to 25 IMs) have not worked out well when it came to the IM race day. I've grown to value the RRs, especially the one three weeks before race day, as probably the #1 most important workout of the entire 12 week cycle. The idea is to nail it and build confidence for race day, or, failing that, discover last minute problems which must be fixed.

• Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback. Sounds clear...RR!

All the best,
    Greg
  • Options
    Actually, hmm, just saw Patrick's note in Micro. He said...

"If you haven't raced this year, and you are pretty confident with your pacing target numbers and their correlation with reality, I would race. You need some jitters, a swim start, and race day stress. You can race the bike and swim at HIM targets, but dial the run back so as not to do too much damage. You must 100% focus on pre-race meal timing, in-race nutrition, aero position and all your "racey" gear, etc...."

This does make me start to think otherwise, and consider the 70.3 Sunday.

Hmm.........
  • Options
    Am opting for the RR. Thanks for all the insight. That's the best route for me...not confident enough in hitting targets on the bike...

All the best,
    Greg