Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

IM Lottery and my crazy decision of the weekend

So in previous discussions with my wife about entering the lottery she advised me that I should finish IMC and see how I feel moving in to next year.  Basically don't try to do too much coming back to activity from the broken leg.  She knows me well and was there in Lake Placid when I finished in 2004 so I took this advise to heart and decided against signing up. 

That previous discussion was over Christmas.  Fast foward to this weekend and I was roaming around ending up at active.com.  This story is kind of similar to my IMC sign up story.  So I signed up for the lottery and justified it to myself as a reward for the hard training through the OS and continued motivation to lose weight.

After pondering my decision I figure that motivation wise this is great. Its hawaii and convincing my wife to go would not be a challenge. 

The down side as I see it:

1) 2 IM's in 6 weeks.  I don't want to dig a huge hole and burn myself out.

2) After I buy my tri bike here in the next week or two I need to start saving for the trip just in case get in.  It would suck not to be able to go because of budget constraints.  I'd definitely have to get smaked around for that one. 

So feel free to hammer me for this decision.

Gordon

Comments

• Options

Just do it!

• Options
    If you can't afford it in the end, I'd be happy to be you for Kona. Not sure I can grow that beard, but for a Kona slot, I'll surely try!

tom
  • Options

Tom,

I only have the beard in the winter, typically from December to February or March so you are clear of that problem.  I actually just shaved it on Saturday. 

The best part of having you do the IM for me is the upgrade in my IM time.  I know you FTP is much better than mine.  How do you perform in the heat?

Gordon

• Options
    If you get the slot- you gotta go. I'd skip IMC if you get the slot though.
  • Options

Nemo,

I can't skip.  I need to validate that entry somewhere.  I guess I could find a 70.3 but Calgary is the only one close and then that's flushing the IMC entry and costing me more.  We will see come April.

Gordon

• Options
    I'm confused. This is the 2010 lottery? How do you find out if you got in? I thought it was on the broadcast 1 or 2 months ago.
  • Options

You don't find out until April 15, 2010 although they have in the past posted the winners on the 70.3 tv coverage.  I was just thinging out loud about the pros and cons if I were to get in for 2010. 

• Options
    Posted By Gordon Cherwoniak on 23 Feb 2010 08:56 AM

Tom,

........How do you perform in the heat?

Gordon

I don't particularly like the heat, but did CdA a couple of years ago when it was upper 90s and did well enough.  Only thing I don't really like is the swim

• Options
    I Would love to go if I could pass as you!
    However if i were to win the lottery... I qould have gone from No triathlon - sprint, HIM , To Kona in just under 12 months! That would be some kind of amazing!
    Possible?!!? i could sign up too haha
  • Options
    Have done 2 IM races 6 weeks apart before with LP and Moo in 2007. Certainly doable and Moo actually went better than LP because I had some injury issues that affected my biking that I just got figured out approx 3 weeks before Placid that year. Placid then became basically a training day for Moo. This year I'm doing St George and then Hawaii 70.3 5 weeks later. EN has transition guidance that I'll using for between the two races. BTW, I also $90 and a dreamed it. I'll be at Kona in Oct either as an athlete or volunteer again.

Lynne