Home General Training Discussions
Options

Low Back Pain

I have a bit of a chronic problem, although I didn't connect all the dots that it's been chronic until just recently. Long story short, I was having some low back pain on my right side (thinking erector spinae, maybe serratus posterior) around the 3 hr mark on the bike last season during my HIMs and training rides. I was using a road bike with aerobars fit by Todd (TTbike fit). The pain resulted in me not being able to stay aero for the last 20-30 min of the bike because that area would get increasingly painful and numb.

Fastforward to this year, I seemed to forget about the back pain because I don't get it on the trainer, but I began having that pain while got out on my first few rides. Because of that, I pulled the trigger on a tri bike through Todd. I got fit and the first couple rides were great. I did a bump of bike volume last weekend Fri-Sun and Saturday I began with the same symptoms towards the end of my 3 hr ride, Sunday the pain began around 70 min into my ride. In fact, I couldn't finish my 3 hr ride on Sunday, calling it at 2 hrs.I have been doing my typical core routine, but nothing fancy, 3-4 days/week.

I have talked to Todd who mentioned using more spacers, but that my fit video shows my back in good position as it is. He thought it may be weakness that is exacerbated with fatigue, hence occurring later in rides then earlier, and recommended Dr. Eric Goodman's book "Foundation Training". I have it on reserve from the library when it's returned. Coach P told me to mention it on here for any other insights. Bottom line at this point, IMLP is about 7 weeks away and I can't stay on the bike that long physically. Thoughts are appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Try periodically coming out of aero and really arching your back and then rounding it out as much as possible. Go back and forth between those two positions. Try maybe every 20 minutes right now?
  • Options
    @Rachel-I will try that before I get any symptoms. Once it starts bothering me, this doesn't help much. Has it helped you stay aero over the day?