Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Official Ironman Wisconsin Sign In Thread

Welcome to the Ironman Wisconsin Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Alright, I'll start this thing! I'm Rachel, I live in Chicago, and I'm excited/nervous/terrified to become an Ironman on September 8! I've done a few HIM, PR of 5:33 at Steelhead, and was originally aiming for sub 13 hrs. Then I've had a hell of a year with all sorts of life stress which led to inconsistent (and at times non-existent) training and a major loss in mojo. Really just aiming to finish now, but I'd still like to go under 14 hrs. I have been struggling with Crohn's disease for 10+ years, so I'm trying to raise money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation through this experience (shameless plug- http://www.active.com/donate/vegasIL13/ILRHawe), which is a major motivator for me. Tomorrow is my 27th birthday and the start of the final 12 weeks, so I'm giving myself a good dose of training as a birthday present. Excited to virtually train with you all and meet you in September!
  • Options
    Welcome to the quest Rachel. I'm also on my maiden journey with this IM so we will do battle together. Best of luck with gettiing your training in on a consistant basis from here out. Joe
  • Options
    Hi all! Happy to be part of the Team for Wisconsin! This will be my 5th Ironman and the first time I have done the same event twice. I'm really excited to give Wisconsin another go. The crowd is amazing and it should be a ton of fun for all!

Mike
  • Options
    I am not racing but will be peeling wetsuits in the AM and catching finishers in the afternoon. Plan to use the volunteer path to register for '14. I will be cheering and taking lots of pics between my volunteer stints.
  • Options
    This is my first IM. I'll be hitting the training camp in August, which I'm so stoked for. From Des Moines, referred to EN by Carl Noftsger, whom I work with.
  • Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Lauren and I live in Illinois. I'll be racing IMWI for the 5th time this year, and my 8th Ironman. Back in January I had some pretty high hopes for this race, but life has really gotten in the way of training throughout the spring so my goals have changed to just having some fun out there and meeting all the new EN'ers out there! I know EN is such a resource for IM, but any questions about that particular race/race weekend, let me know! Hope to meet many of you at the camp in August!
  • Options
    Hi everyone - Brian from the suburbs of Chicago,IL. I will be racing IMWI for the second time (2011 was first shot) and second go at Ironman overall.

In 2011, I had high hopes and then in the middle of August less then five weeks from the race, I came down with some nasty illness thanks to my extended family. The net result was that I completely revised my plans showed up in Madison with a don't do anything stupid that will lead to a DNF. Finished in 15:03 but felt I could have done better.

This time around feel good about my training, but life has gotten in the way a few times and goal is to enjoy the day, push myself extremely hard and hope my kids (2 & 5 ) are still awake to see me cross the finish line.

Look forward to seeing everyone at the Camp.
  • Options

As this is an EN key race, both Patrick and I will be at the event. We have some big stuff planned. Should be fun!

• Options
    Average Weekend Warrior

Northeastern burbs of Atlanta, Suwanee, by Lake Lanier.

Sheri, my better half, is coming along. She'll be one of the most helpful volunteers with one of the best attitudes. She knows that's what could make or break our day. She also knows that, while all the athletes get helped, the EN peeps get the VIP treatment! She'll probably have an EN visor on, not sure where she's working, yet.

Unfortunately, kids can't come along to this one. Maybe next time.

This will be my 5th long course event...GFT, IMLP, Bricks4Hope (solo nonstop 24 hr Lake Lanier to Savannah Charity Gig using 4hr bike/2hr run/repeats), IMFL. Still looking to execute like I'm supposed to.

After a 1 day stay over in Chicago (always try to give Sheri a day of Non Tri Stuff) on Wednesday, we'll be driving into Madison early on Thursday.

Certainly have time goals, but, I always look at it as degrees of victory.

1. the courage and the finances to sign up for something like this is a blessing

2. consistent disciplined training is character building and something everyone should be proud of

3. to make it to the Start Line healthy after such a long grind

4. just to finish an endurance event when circumstances can change so quickly

5. achieve the icing on the cake goal like a time, PR, place in the AG, KQ, etc.

because not a single one of these is guaranteed to anybody.

Ain't this fun?!?!

• Options
    Hello team Ironman Moo Peeps. I am writing to you from Des Moines, Iowa. Joining me in Madison will be my wife/Iron Sherpa-Alison. This will be my fourth Ironman and the second time racing Wisconsin.

I will be also doing the Tri Ralley Aug 1-4th and looking forward to riding the course and meeting all of you. Will be coming up Thursday with Jason Mason and 3 others. We will be arriving in Verona on Thursday and getting a pre ride in.  Parking at Fireman's park and riding the loops x 2 then going for a easy peasy brick run. Starting around 10-11 am if you are around please join. This is a preview ride for a couple peeps before we do the race rehearsal on Friday this way they are not suprised and will know what lays over this hill or beyond this corner. Will be a very laid back comfy, talking ride so again if you are around please join us.

I have had the opportunity to crank up my training this year-with the approval of my wife and children so looking to see how it pays off. My #1 goal as always is to cross the finish line before the 17 hour mark!!  Show up to the start of the race healthy, making my race weight, Feeling rested, and Everything else is just that...........

Be safe and see you all in a few short weeks.

The Badger
  • Options
    Hi Everyone! I'll be coming in from Phoenixville PA to do my first Ironman. It's a "Stretch Goal" for me... I'm still a newbie and have a lot of work to do. But you learn by doing, so here I come!
  • Options
    Hi all.

I'm from Kansas City, excited for WI (always heard it's the best). This will be my 4th Full IM; I did Coeur d'Alene earlier this year, Louisville last year and Rev 3 Full/Cedar Point the year before that. Turned 50 in Jan, and bucket list item to do two in one year. image

I'm particularly excited to be using Power for the first time...dove into a Quarq Power Meter right after CDA.

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Greg

• Options
    Hey Everyone,
    This is Scott from Plymouth, MI. IMWI will be my first Ironman. I was feeling really good about this until the end of April, when I quit my job to start a new business. Since then my workouts have taken a back seat. But I am still really excited to see what I can do. I am really excited to meet everyone, wish I could have gone to the Tri Rally, but I have 3 kids and it just didn't work out. Good luck over the next few weeks and I will see you in Madison.

Scott
  • Options
    Me, my hubby and EN Sleeper Cell team mates Natalie and Brent Pilon will be racing in Wisconsin. This will be my hubbys 8th IM, and the Pilons second. This will be my first. We will be arriving on Wednesday, but will not be on group me (to expensive for my phone plan). I look forward to meeting you all.
  • Options

Hi everyone - checking in from Bartlett, IL in the NW Chi 'burbs while trying to keep my 2 1/2-week old awake with the hope that she'll sleep more tonight instead.  This is my first IM and I'm excited mostly, but also nervous, anxious and all that stuff, too.  I've had a great summer of training up until 2.5 weeks ago, but I've been doing pretty well maintaining fitness if not long endurance since then.  Looking forward to taking in all the atmosphere of race week and enjoying the day as much as possible while heading in with very conservative power & pace goals.  My wife, 4.5-year-old and 2.5-week-old will be making the trek North with me and cheering me on with my parents (recent transplants to Madison) and brother.  Looking forward to meeting you all!

• Options
    Hi Everyone,
    This will be my second IM, though my first with a legit plan thanks to EN. I am starting to get fired up for it. My goal is to drop some serious time off of my time from last year even if it was a different course. Either way my main goal is always survival, my second goal is time based and my third goal is to have fun. I am going to be arriving in town late on Thur or early Fri I think with the fam and am looking forward to meeting folks. I have seen some stuff about activities, but are there things I have missed? I guess the dinner is the main thing I saw and know I will miss that because of the late arrival on Thurs. Either way look forward to seeing some EN folks in person!
  • Options
    Hello All!

Better late than never, I guess. I did my first sprint distance tri in May 2011. During the 500M swim, I ended up having to flip onto my back to regain my composure and I thought, as I looked up at the sky, "I will never ever ever do this again." But, realizing I had nowhere to go but up, I became interested in seeing what improvements I could make. So, I did the REV3 70.3 events at Cedar Point in 2011 and 2012 (notching a PR of 5:15 in 2012).

Then my wife and I headed down to Panama City where I was set to take on Ironman Florida 2012. I found it very difficult to keep my nerves in check in the days leading up to the race. Staring out at the post-Superstorm Sandy waves crashing on the beach did NOT help! I muddled through the swim and the bike in a decent enough time only to be crushed two miles into the run. A very long walk ensued and, when I got my finisher's medal, I said "I will never ever ever do this again". But, just as I had done following my first sprint distance race, I became fascinated by the intricate puzzle that is an Ironman distance triathlon and became convinced that I had a solid race in me somewhere. Step one in pursuing that race was signing on with EN this year. I've been fortunate to have been able to achieve a high rate of compliance with my training schedule over the past 8 months, and, in just a few short weeks, we'll see where I'm at.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone, this will be my fifth IM and the second one this year after TX (just survived)...and then one more to go. I had only planned on two and then things changed in April. We will be flying in on Thursday to get settled. My daughter is driving up from Nebraska to watch all of us race and we have some family in the area that will be coming down to watch also.
  • Options
    This will be my 4th go at WI, looking to be healthy for the start and see what I can do this time around. I feel like I am more prepared than the others even though I have trained less due to family coming first. I'll be arriving early Thursday morning and look forward to meeting people at the dinner Thursday night. Can't decide what race shirt to wear to the dinner, Rich loves that......
    Dave
  • Options
    This will be my 2nd time at IMWI.  I did 11:58 last year and was hoping to beat that this year, but that is doubtful now.  I crashed at the EN camp and sprained my shoulder so had to stop swimming for about 10 days.  shoulder feels better but I strained a calf muscle last Thursday on my long run, and it isn't getting better.  I guess I'm going for "do nothing" taper until the race.  Anyway, maybe it is good and this will lower my expectations.  Now I'm just looking to execute well, have fun and finish. I'll arrive Thursday about noon.  See you all in Madison.
  • Options
    Wow.  I am still learning this whole EN group thing online, and realize I have really been pretty lame in getting it figured out.  Nonetheless, I am also going to compete in IMWI and will hopefully be a first time IM finisher on September 8.  Attended the training camp with Rich the first of August, and found it invaluable.  Looking forward to competing and finishing with several friends.  We've all taken different training routes to get here, so let's see who gets in first. image
  • Options
    Thought I had posted here before, but don't see it. This will be my second IM, with IMCDA last year as my first. Way behind in my training, but really looking forward to enjoying what IMMOO has to offer. Look forward to seeing you all there.
    Mark Hickman
  • Options
    I will see you all at the EN Camp then on race day volunteering and returning....well maybe in 2015. Might like Chatty so much I stay their!!!

Ironman Wisc bike course became my second home last year spening over 6 weeks in Madison, rode the course over 30 x to include one big week of over 500 miles on it. They have resurfaced the rough areas and it is in my honest opinion a BEAUTIFUL course both in beauty and bike handling.

If you have never rode the course I highly recommend to ATTEND THE EN CAMP cause Coach Rich and several of the members know this course inside and out and you will hear this over and over and over......There is so much FREE SPEED on the course IF YOU LEARN HOW TO RIDE THE COURSE. Very true.

Be sure you have the correct gearing, nutrition, and training in and you'll have a blast. I rode the course around 5:42 last year and note I believe the elevation is like 5900 feet and then went to an almost flat course in Ironman Cozumel and rode a 5:37 but much different elements such as heat, wind, rain, and the biggest pelaton I have ever seen in a race. Just wanted to show that no matter what the course their are different elements that come in play and for me the ups and downs, shifting of gears seemed easier for me then sitting in the same one or two gears on more of a flat course and hardly moving around in the saddle!!!!

Best of luck to each of you on yor journey and see you soon.
  • Options

@Carl - Bruce and I will again be volunteering at IMoo this year, hopefully repeating as wetsuit strippers. I'm also planning on volunteering at bike check-in on Saturday, too. We have two friends who are racing, so we'll be out and about during the race.  What area do you plan on volunteering in?

I see you're in for Rev3Dells, too. It would be great to have a Team EN meet up for dinner the night before!

• Options

Posted By Dawn Piburn on 28 Mar 2014 08:57 PM

@Carl - Bruce and I will again be volunteering at IMoo this year, hopefully repeating as wetsuit strippers. I'm also planning on volunteering at bike check-in on Saturday, too. We have two friends who are racing, so we'll be out and about during the race.  What area do you plan on volunteering in?

I see you're in for Rev3Dells, too. It would be great to have a Team EN meet up for dinner the night before!

Dawn-

Rev 3 Dells is one of the spotlight races so my guess is we have several peeps racing here and we will have a lunch and for sure a team dinner somewhere plus team runs, bikes, swims, etc.  

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Carl

• Options
    Signed up today for wetsuit peeler and Saturday afternoon bike check-in assignments. Hope that the weather holds, and that the swim isn't the suck-fest it was last year.