Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Lake Placid Camp De-Brief

Just a few things I could put together from this past weekend at Lake Placid.

I Put together a few items below, but they do not compare to the overall feeling that is hard to put as just one item on a list, and that is no matter what I am not alone on race day.  I was able to meet so many great people, and some new friends.  Everyone was there to help one another and you can not really put a price on that.  Thank you all for making me feel welcomed, supported and safe out there.

A few things for me to remember and review, along with some classic quotes.

1.       Ride the Hard parts Easy, and the Easy parts Hard.

2.       Last hour on the bike is the most important.  On Saturday I tried to save what I could for last hour and did and felt MUCH better.

3.       HYDRATION!!  “If you ain’t peeing you ain’t drinking.”

4.       Cassettes and gearing set up.  “If you think you need more gears, you do!”….. “I would rather be looking at them then looking for them”.

5.       The Weather on the bike course WILL CHANGE for the worse.  Remember that for a slow swimmer like myself, I started riding earlier in the morning than I will on race day, so that wind and change will come earlier on the bike (in terms of miles).

6.       SEE POINT #1 ABOVE

7.       Recovery and Rehydration, I should have prepared better to be ready to eat and drink more right after workouts.  I thought I was, and I thought that I did.  Until Sunday morning’s long run when I was having trouble breathing from either an on coming cold, or allergies, or even under hydration, or cumulative fatigue, or all of the above.  My fault, no matter how “good” I felt after Saturday’s 112 on the bike, it was erased when I started coughing .  Should have read the recovery guidance that Patrick gave out earlier a few times, and printed it out, and put it on the fridge in my room or something ….Again….my fault. 

8.       Whatever the swim start setup at the lake is going to be, try to warm up and stay calm.

9.       SEE POINT #1 ABOVE.

OK..Please add some items to my list above that I might have missed when putting this together.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the post! I couldn't go to the camp and feel so behind, but it helps to hear about what you learned - thanks!