Home General Training Discussions
Options

Shoes

I had an interesting experience on the treadmill this morning, doing my Z1 brick run.  About 7 minutes into the run, my hip started to flare up (torn labrum and arthritis in there, generally being managed well with PT, core work, and the roller/TP ball), to the point where I stopped running altogether twice.  Stretched it out, tried to go again, and just couldn't do it.  After crushing myself on the intervals, this was fundamentally unsatisfying.

Before I threw in the towel, I decided to make one other switch.  I had just slipped on some new shoes (Under Armour Illusion), which were of the proper category (stability, for mild pronation), so I decided to try the shoes I'd been using (Asics DS Trainer) successfully for the last few weeks.  Got back on, eased into it, and lo and behold, I'm able to run the last 12 minutes pain free.

The only reason I even thought to do this was because of a similar experience I had at PT in September, where the first time I wore shoes which weren't my usual shoes (that time, I wore my Brooks Axioms, instead of my Mizuno Wave Elixir's, which I'd been wearing for all of my PT work), I was in pain all weekend.  The Brooks Axioms were also the shoe I was wearing when I blew up spectacularly in my Marathon a year ago, which was part fitness, and part leg ceasing to be useful anymore...

I've always figured that the difference from one shoe to another can't possibly be that great, but I'm starting to become convinced.  Anyone else out there have any similar experiences?  If so, how did you find the shoe that works best for you?  I just started running in the DS trainers at the beginning of the OS, and I'm feeling pretty lucky that they're working so well.  I've also run a bunch in Zoot TT's, and they've never seemed to cause any problems.  Are there any shoe experts out there that see any similarities in the shoes that work (Asics, Mizuno, Zoot) versus the ones that didn't (Brooks, UA), to help guide future purchase decisions?  It scares the heck out of me to become so dependent on a particular shoe that changes a little bit every year...

Mike

Comments

• Options

Big heavy guy so the more cushion at this point the better.  Ascics Gel Kayuno

• Options

Member of the big dood EN club @ 6'1" at about 205, right now.

I switched to the Nike Lunartrainers a few months ago, so comfortable.  Then a month ago moved to the Nike Free.  TOTALLY LOVE THE NIKE FREE!  Even ran my second half marathon in them on Sunday.

• Options

Mizuno Wave Elixirs for me. They have been podiatrist and pt approved. Before that, I was running in Fila Providences and they were way the wrong shoe. Since these shoes are semi-disposable, I buy them in quantity and hope they don't change the model anytime soon.

• Options
    there is definitely a difference between shoes, even within the same brand. i've had some foot issues in the past with shoes by the same brand in the same category- cushioned, with no stability. the difference i've noticed has been in whether my feet go numb and where the numbness starts. i've also noticed that certain shoes will aggrevate my IT bands more than others. right now, i've switched from nike to asics, which has maintained the cushioning, but provided me with a more balanced stiffness in the sole. the nike's were either to soft or to hard (like the 3 bears story).
    -keith
  • Options

I wish I could just pick up any pair of running shoes from the sales rack and run injury-free and swiftly in them. Sadly, I cannot. My feet and running biomechanics are so screwed up that I only use Saucony Guides. My feet are flat, wide, and with lax tendons and ligaments so I need a shoe with a wide toe box and narrowish heel cup (classic Saucony fit). I buy my shoes 1/2 size larger and in wide width. Good news is that at the end of the year, I can buy several pairs of my shoes for cheap on Amazon.com because of the odd width.

• Options

shoes make a huge difference and are entirely personal.  If it were me I would stop wearing the ones that are obviously no good for you.  I stopped wearing mizunos cause they remind me of when I stepped in a hole and hurt my ankle.  I tiotally realize that had nothing to do with the shoes but do not care.  Good enough for me. 

I always have a few pairs of shoes that I am running in.  Right now it is Asics Landreths [nice day in and day out shoes], Asics speedstars [my favs but the wear out too fast] and Luna Racers [so fast feeling but just a tad too narrow for me].

The road runner sports 30 day return policy is a wonderful thing.

• Options

Shoes are a HUGE piece of the injury puzzle. I definitely don't believe they cause injuries (which is a popular theory these days thanks to the Born to Run guy), but with all of the variability between brands, control type, etc, they can have a huge impact on your run technique. Add orthothotics or any kind of shoe insert into the mix and it's downright tricky to find the right shoe for your foot type.

My advice when shoe shopping is this: 1) if you're having trouble finding a shoe that works for you, try your hardest to get to an actual running specific store. It might be a bit of a drive, but it's worth it if you've got someone who will look at your feet standing -and- running. over the years, I've found that the standing arch inspection is pretty useless until I see someone up and running on a treadmill. 2) try to find a place that has a return policy (it might be that you have to run a treadmill or "keep them clean" but getting out to run in them is key and lets face it...there are very few shoes <$100 mark these days.</p>

Mike- heading out the door right now, but will check out the shoes you mentioned and send you some suggestions. sounds like your in the in between area where you need some support but some cushioning as well.

• Options

Oh and I agree with Leigh that shoes do not cause running injuries.  Running injuries are caused by running when you are too fat, running too much or too fast too soon, running in worn out shoes and running in the wrong shoes in about that order.

• Options

Totally seems reasonable.  The reason why I was a bit worried is the way I ended up in the Asics DS Trainers (which I ran in again today, no problem, and am really loving right now).  I was at a running-specific store, which I'd been to several times before.  They'd helped me find my way into a number of shoes along my path of losing 30 pounds and 4+minutes off my 5k.  I'd always thought they were pretty good.

So I'd had the odd experience at PT in September, and been pretty much just wearing my old Mizuno Elixirs around the house (too beat up for running) and running in my Zoot TT's.  Went to the store, and told them everything.  Tried the shoes they brought out, and was leaning towards a pair of Mizuno's that were feeling pretty good.  Then I happened to mention that my favorite pair of shoes ever was the pair of Asics DX racers I'd bought 2 years ago, when I was racing mostly sprint tri's and 5k's, and was wondering how those stack up.  They ended up bringing out the DS trainers, and I thought they felt great.  Went home with them, and the rest was history.

The scary thing about it is that I don't know that I've ever had a pair of shoes give me the signal of "these aren't the right shoes for you" quickly enough for me to know it in a store.  Guess I'll have to stick to the good return policy thought process...

Thanks so much for the help!

Mike

• Options

Random, but I was just looking at some closeout Zoot's on Runningwarehouse.com.  Clicked on the Ultra Tempo's (which were the ones I had, not the TT's), and there's a section beneath saying "Most similar shoes".  What's there?

Asics DS Trainers

Mizuno Wave Elixirs

New Balance 905's

Don't know what makes them similar, but these folks seem to have nailed something, because those are the group of shoes that have worked for me (excl. the 905's).  Confidence slightly restored...

Mike

• Options

esssentially, all of the shoes that you like fall into the performance stability category which means that they are a mix between a racing flat (light) and a regular stability shoe.

Big things to keep in mind with these shoes-

1) because they cut all the fluff out...they have less cushioning...so life span is roughly half what you'd expect from a shoe. think 150-200 mile limit.

2) they are trying really hard to be more of a racing flat than they are a stability shoe...that being said...they aren't built for longterm impact and as you get over that 2 hour mark...they become less and less effective in that stability function. If you know you pronate and you know you're going to run long, you'd probably be better served with a regular stability shoe that offers you more cushion than performance.

if you go to the shoe websites (roadrunners for example) you can sort shoes by their category. click on mens shoes and then hit the "performance stability" category and it will give you that type of shoe throughout all of the brands (or most of them at least).

Also- remember. the brands try to add their unique flair so that's where the refund policy comes in. some will feel good and others will feel great, but knowing which category your looking for will definitely help in the injury prevention process. image

• Options

I ran my last open marathon as a 6' 200lbs dude in 3:46 in Nike Free 5.0's.  I currently run in Free 3.0's.

In chapter 25 of Born to Run the author discusses the significance of shoes and their relation to injuries. Contemporary theory is that the more overbuilt the shoe, the greater allowance for improper biomechanics and thus injury potential.

Vince

• Options

Vince

Yes chapter 25 of Born To Run is a real eye opener and changed the way I look at shoes and running injuries.

Well worth reading

• Options
    Totally agree with Vince and Paul! I've found that before even getting to Chap 25 of the book, with my switch to the Nike Lunars and Frees.

BTW, if you want CHEAP Nike Frees, $69.99, you gotta find a Nike Outlet store!
  • Options
    Posted By Chris G on 18 Nov 2009 07:14 AM

Oh and I agree with Leigh that shoes do not cause running injuries.  Running injuries are caused by running when you are too fat, running too much or too fast too soon, running in worn out shoes and running in the wrong shoes in about that order.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the previous posts.  I hope I didn't miss this in the thread, but I think there is one more element that contributes to injury.   Although I'd be classified as "too fat" (and no offense taken.....I am what I am), I focus on technique every time I run and I have been injury free.  You can have all of the best equipment/best shoes, but if your running technique is improper, incorrect or bad, one may be destined for injuries.