Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT week 7/1-7/7

I'm hanging out in Maryland this morning waiting for DC traffic to die down before I drive back to OBX.  So I might as well start the weekly thread!

This is a holiday week and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is going to be modifying the training plan to accommodate for fireworks.   Patrick had recommended I consider doing some long hiking to build walk endurance/strength instead of just boring myself to death with long slow walks.  So my husband and I are headed to Boone, NC this coming weekend for a few days of hiking in the mountains.  While I'd love to do some long hikes with overnight camping, I think carrying anything more than 3-4 hours with a light daypack would be risking the knee, so we'll just do some 3-4 hour day hikes on relatively easy terrain.  I'll replace the Tuesday run with a bike ride and get in a longish ride on Thursday before we leave for the mountains.  Should be a good overall plan.

What is everyone else doing?

Comments

• Options
    I just looked at the schedule this week too, shouldn't be a problem, well, except for the 4000 ++ swim on Friday. I will feel like a hamster on a wheel!!
  • Options

Let's see, this is what I have PLANNED (Operative word) this week:

today at lunch: 90 mins on the dreadmill, scheduled swim after work

Tues: 45mins of hill running per schedule, fast roadie ride (me on my TT bike) in the evening

Wed: 12 miles of outdoor running (TX is actually in mid- to high-60s in the morning this week!!), some sort of swim in evening

Thu: "Holiday" ride with local tri team, 65 mile loop, but with admin miles to/from will total about 82

Fri: NOTHING, expect (and kinda want) to be a little hungover! haha. If I'm feeling okay, i'll hit the dreadmill for a 45 minute "stride" run.

Sat: 4-4.5 hours of hill riding

Sun: 3 hours of "recovery" riding, plus swim in the afternoon.

Phew, just tired thinking about it!

@nemo, I'm jealous of your hiking excursion! After IMMT, I'm going to start to "train" for my planned Grand Canyon Thanksgiving rim-to-rim hike!

• Options
    Not planning any adjustments from the norm due to the Holiday... But as usual trying to figure out the weather to juggle plans...

Today was an easy 25 min recovery OWS in a local shallow lake ( I hate weeds) ... rest, recover, eat good food!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/335918099#
  • Options

I feel like all I'm doing lately is dodging thunderstorms... makes for some interesting unplanned intervals though!

• Options
    Thunderstorms messed up yesterday - pools have to close for 30 minutes after thunder and I had to go to work, so no swim. Did the interval run this morning and will try to get in the pool tonight.
  • Options
    Yup- thunderstorms messed me up today as well. Glad I'm not the only one!
  • Options
    We have had near record rainfall in NH for the last month.... Wet and sick of it... Never had AC in the house since just dont need it "usually".... well don't need it for cooling but would love it to take the water out of the house... nothing will dry .... at least its been warm... and the forecast is for a nice 5 days or so starting tomorrow..

AM workout was 1:10 on the bike , 22miles , about 17 min of v02 work while I was going after some local strava segments.... this worked well since they ranged from 2-4 min in duration

PM workout was 55min 7 mile run with hill repeats
  • Options
    Finished the bike intervals this morning, but had a lot of trouble maintaining my goal watts. It was my first hard trainer ride in a while and it just did not feel right. It makes me appreciate the outdoor rides.
  • Options
    Tim, we have a similar situation down here too with the dampness. South winds (and the rain) have made everything sticky. We don't generally put on the AC either- but are using it now mainly to dry out the place.

William, if you've been doing lots of outside stuff, it's hard to then duck back onto the trainer and hold your "outdoor" watts. No worries. Let's all hope we get a weekend of good weather!

Heads up everyone. Next weekend is our first Race Rehearsal!!! Use some of that extra time off tomorrow to check into the Race Rehearsal Protocol in the Wiki and start figuring out your plan for next weekend.
  • Options
    Will it go round in Circles.... Billy Preston... That was my theme of the day...

.9 mile swim around an island this am http://connect.garmin.com/activity/336848933
    7 mile track work out w/ 8 x 400m repeats v02 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/337058131#

gonna do a swim/bike/run tomorrow am before a 4th o July Party.... then just a long OWS on friday as a day off the legs before a big weekend

OH and we finally got that heat I wanted.... even stopped raining
  • Options
    Early week hasn't gone as well as I had hoped, workout-wise, but I went out and CRUSHED my 82 miler today, .777 IF felt EASY!
  • Options
    Very hard time with the run today. HOT and HUMID. Held paces for the first hour, but spent the last hour and fifteen minutes walking up hills and running slow on the flats and downhills. I was slower than my run at MT. Lost 3.5 pounds during the run (146.5 at the beginning and 143 at the end). I drank 24 ounces of Perform during the run. I think I need to find a way to carry more nutrition or loop by the house to refill.
  • Options
    William, well I thought I was the only one. Tried to get up at 0500 to run, but kept hitting snooze until 0630. Hit the road at 0700. First hour of run was OK, but second 1:20 I suffered, heat and humidity here in Jersey was unforgiving. Walked and ran last 20 mins, average pace was a lot slower then what I usually can do. Little worried right now, as lately I've have felt really fatigued in my legs. Happy July 4 to all
  • Options
    @Scott... WTG .77 for 82 miles is huge!

@William and Glenn.... add me to the list... although I didnt do a long run today I was feeling the heat for sure.... don't worry about it ... adjust for the heat and slow down that is all we can do....

Swim... 1.15 miles w/sleeveless first time this year... best I can tell I am about 15 seconds per 1/2 mile slower than the full suit
    Bike... 29 miles with 35 min attempted FTP that went like .96 , .94 , .89....... I usually can hold those at 1.0 no problem
    Run... 30 min brick run... EP + 20 ... again bricks are usually faster like EP - 20 without even trying...
    In and out of the lake trying to stay cool and recover the rest of the day... I'm feeling cooked....

My girlfriend Heather was training with me and was reduced to walking on her brick.... I was actually happy to see her smart enough to slow down and walk...

Happy 4th everybody!
  • Options
    Big Tri Week for me. Last two days were:

Wed - 5200 yard swim, 3 mile run, 25 miles drainer w Spinervals "Ascending Mountains in Leadville, CO"
    Thu - 10 mi run, 40 miles on the drainer, 7.26 mile run

Lots of sleep too!
  • Options
    Go Paul Go!

2.77 mile endurance swim done... REST of the day off! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/337760687
  • Options
    @Tim, after the big .77IF 82 miler and also a .96IF two hour ride earlier in the week, I think it's time for to acknowledge a higher FTP than I have set now!

Just knocked out my 45 minutes w/ strides on the dreadmill. Swimming later this afternoon.

Good times!
  • Options
    @Tim - I am going all right ... Like an old and slow, broken down pro!

Today - 4300 yard swim, 62 mile outdoor bike, and 3.5 mile run.
  • Options
    I took yesterday off for my youngest daughter's seventh birthday. Doubled up with a 90 minute open water swim and a 4 hour bike. I was able to hold my desired watts. Due to the swim I did not start the bike until 11:45 am. Felt great the first three hours, but the heat got to me the last hour. All in all a productive day. I hope it is not as hot and humid at MT.
  • Options
    @William.... sounds like a good ride... also dont underestimate how much the swim takes out of you !

Longride done today... 4.5 hrs , 98 miles , 70 @ .72 , then 20 @ .82-.77 , then 8 @ .60- admin miles waiting for Heather to finish up her ride http://connect.garmin.com/activity/338332399

the heat got me today as well, bagged the brick run that was planned in favor of spending the rest of the day cooling off in the lake and recovering for tomorrow's split run day planning 90min am and 40min pm
  • Options
    @Tim - thanks. Nice work today.
  • Options
    Tim, you were flying. I am feeling the cumulative load of this week's training. That plus a strong south wind got me 90 miles in 4:44. In short, I had nothing. So I bagged the run but did make a 2200 yard swim.
  • Options

Another victim of the heat and fatigue here.  Ride yesterday was just surviving.  Taking it easy today!

• Options
    I know today was a rest day, but I went out and rode my usual 52 miler with some of my roadie peeps. Started out kinda rough but warmed up nicely and stayed with the lead group all the way back to the cars.

The roadies were very shocked, I think, to see a tri bike keeping up with them. Love it!!
  • Options
    My rest day is tomorrow. Today, I slept in, then hit the pool when it opened at 10am for 2800 yards. Came home for lunch and a 30 min nap. Then 48 miles on the drainer with Spinervals "Muscular Endurance". Mostly an ABP workout, and although I was sore, I hung in there. Ate sme more off the bike and then took a 90 min power nap. Finished the day with an 8.21 mile run.

Big Tri Week totals:

Swim - 17,000 yards
    Bike - 265 miles
    Run - 45 miles
    Core - 1 hour

Now 5 days of recovery and taper for Muncie 70.3, then I will spin it back up for 1 more block of IM training before Sweden.
  • Options
    @Paul.... nice job and some serious sleep volume in as well!

@Scott... I have some not very serious roadies in my neighborhood and they all think I am superhuman or on steroids after following me on Strava... havent ridden with them or any roadies yet... I dont even have a road bike!

Yesterday... got in my split run.. AM 10.6 miles in 1:28:30 with the last 3 hard , PM 5 miles in 39:20....
  • Options
    Yes Tim, you are superhuman!