Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Keene descent

I'm scared to death of the Keene descent - mostly because I've never been there to see it or ride it.  Does anyone want to meet Thursday afternoon and take a trip down it with me?  I pick up my bike from TriBike Transport that day, so sometime after that.  Thanks in advance for helping out this chicken!

Comments

• Options
    Site unseen, I understand, appreciate and respect your anxiety about the Keene descent. That said, it is a long hill that you need to respect - nothing more... nothing less!

There will be Yahoos taking ridiculous risks, flying downhill at warp speed. My recommendation is that you stay as far to the right as you can and are comfortable with, allowing the Yahoos to do their thing. If you are driving in from the Adirondack Northway (Route 87), you will notice that there are two lanes going up (inbound) much of the hill. On race day, in the past, one inbound lane is coned off - giving vehicular traffic only one lane inbound, allowing two lanes (and the outbound shoulder) available for cyclists.

It is wise to ride the descent if you can. Much easier said than done, but if you respect the course - you will be fine. Relaxation is crucial - if you tense up and "white knuckle" the brakes, your bike will be much more difficult to handle. Distribute your weight evenly over your bike, keeping your feet at a 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position when coasting.

It is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Respect the hill and you will do well - I promise!
  • Options
    Hey Kelly!

We were up in LP over the Fourth and I rode the course for the first time - I didn't find anything about the descent into Keene particularly crazy... it's just really, REALLY long with the opportunity to build a LOT of speed IF you want to. I took it easy the first day I rode it just to get a feel for it - sat up and rode the brakes a little - and the second... well, I wouldn't say I bombed down it, but I definitely stayed aero and let loose. The pavement is uneven - I'd actually say it "undulates." I wish I would've known this the first time I rode it b/c I honestly thought something was loose on my bike! Like Woody said, there WILL be a lot of people bombing down that hill on race day, and I'm sure it'll be littered with bottles and anything else that can be launched off a bike or a person... I plan to be conservative and take it easy on race day seeing as how my bike handling skills aren't anywhere in the realm of stellar...

Riding it before race day to get comfortable with it is a great idea - BUT I would really suggest that you have someone with a car waiting for you at the bottom... there's really no easy way to get back into town without a good bit of climbing, so having a friend/relative/etc waiting at the bottom to get you home might be a good idea two days before the race.
  • Options
    Kelly, I have ridden down that descent several times over the past few years, and it was exhilarating each time. My concern is with what Woody calls the yahoos. This year, staying to the far right will be a problem, because the road is pretty bad in many areas along that stretch. It's nice to know that there will be another lane open for bike traffic there. Definitely a good idea to ride it ahead of time. I would have a car waiting to pick you up in Keene so you won't have to climb back up.
  • Options
    Looks like Jess and I were writing at the same time. "Great minds think alike!"
  • Options

You should ask Patrick, or find his guidance (any help, anyone?), for how/what sections of the LP bike course to recon. 

• Options

Posted By Jess Withrow on 09 Jul 2013 04:57 PM

Riding it before race day to get comfortable with it is a great idea - BUT I would really suggest that you have someone with a car waiting for you at the bottom... there's really no easy way to get back into town without a good bit of climbing, so having a friend/relative/etc waiting at the bottom to get you home might be a good idea two days before the race.

I second this recommendation from Jess, but you'll have to go slower if you do this as the right side is usually pretty chewed up and there will be traffic which will keep you right.  On race day, you have the shoulder (which is bad), the traffic lane out of LP and the passing lane going into lake placid, so there is plenty of room and better road.  I understand Woody's thoughts as it seems insane, but it really is about how comfortable you feel descending on a bike.  The corners are NOT very tight, so you don't have to break at any point on the descent if you don't want to, but by sitting up you can reduce your speed with wind resistance.  As a confirmed Yahoo, you can also stay aero, in the bars the entire time and just use your body weight and a little counter-steering to turn the bike.  I will say, the advantage of being a Yahoo is that you will catch and pass all those people that passed you going uphill and were out of eye sight before you hit the top of the climb.

• Options
    Kelly I'd be happy to go with you if you want company Thurs afternoon. I love this descent. But I agree with the others, we would have to leave a car at the bottom and drive back up. If you're interested we could work out logistics via email. Let me know.
  • Options
    Kelly,
    Also check out, if you did not already, the video that Patrick made of this part of the course while riding his bike down it. There is a link to it in the WIKI. http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=IMUSA+Race+Guide
  • Options
    You all are so great! Thank you so much for all of the advice and calming words image

And Leslie, that would be great if you want to ride it together! We will be renting a car in Burlington when we land, we've reserved an SUV, but who knows what we'll actually get. If it'll fit our bikes - then let's do it. Will you have a car there?
  • Options
    I have an SUV (Subaru Forester). I have fit two bikes in it. If you don't mind your bike laying on top of mine I can bring a blanket to keep them separate.  I did this with another friend and both our bikes were fine.  Besides, they'll only be in the car together for a few minutes to get back to town.  I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriot.  I'm driving to LP from my home 250 miles south and will probably arrive early afternoon.  Call or email me separately to firm up plans.   (Email: Leslies28@msn.com  or 917--698-5162).  You'll feel much better after you do it.  It's not too technical a descent, nice wide turns with beautiful views!
  • Options

@ Kelly and Leslie, Can I join?  I was planning to ride the descend on thursday after Tri-Bike pick up.  Will have my husband and daughter pick me up at the bottom.  Let me know if I can join and what time you plan to ride.  My email is loriwolfe.lazorik@att.net and phone 772 979 2548.  Lori

• Options

As long as you've got vehicles and what not, this is how I'd do it:

• Ride from T1 to the top of the descent and down into Keene. Good to wrap your head around the ~7-8 miles of rollers out of town as well as the descent.
    • Get a muffin or something at the coffee shop right at the corner, on the right, as you put your bike in the cars. 
    • Drive the course, stopping in Jay (or Upper Jay, I forget) to take a picture of the covered bridge on the right side of town.
    • Continue to drive the course to Wilmington. 
    • Ride from Wilmington back up into the LP.

Do all of this no later than Friday. And when I say "ride," you are riding at a JRA, race recon effort, just wrapping your head around the course, etc. 

• Options

Great idea Rich.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Of course you can join us Lori!   We'll have to make sure our schedules all line up, but it sounds like the beginning of a plan.  I'll write to you both outside the Haus to beginning planning logistics.  Stay tuned...

• Options

Yes, Lori!  The more the merrier  Sounds great Coach R - thanks!

• Options
    If I arrive in time (driving up from Georgia) I might join y'all. Can someone give me a cell phone number and I'll text and see what the plan is once I arrive. My cell is 229-561-5704. Jodi
  • Options

That's great, Jodi - come join us!  My number is (618)713-4479.  I get in Wednesday evening, so call me on Thursday and I'll let you know the plan!

• Options
    I'm also in for a Keene descent, if you'd like additional company.  Kerrie (202-746-7511 or kerriefreeborn@yahoo.com
  • Options
    It's turning into a party!  I love it!
  • Options
    I was planning on doing the decent on Thursday as well to test it out with my disc and 404 instead of the training hoops. Glad to join you guys if I'm there in time. Hopefully Group Me will be set-up for us and we can use that to connect.
  • Options
    I am sure the VA crew is up for some decent fun!!! image
  • Options
    If I counted correctly we now have 9 folks: Kelly, me, Lori, Jodi, Kerrie, Joe, and the three Musketeers from VA.

One thing folks have to think about is how many cars do we need at the bottom and how many bikes can the hold?

Also what time do folks think they can make? 2:00, 3:00? Earlier? Later?

If we have a rough plan we can firm up closer to the day.
  • Options
    Leslie, my husband can meet me at the bottom- he'll have the kids with him so only one bike will fit in there. But that'll free up a spot in your car.

I can do 2 or 3. Can't wait!
  • Options
    What time did we decide??? Dont forget we have team dinner on Thursday, and i need about 2 to 3 hours to make this mug look pretty!!!!
  • Options

Well Jonathan, we don't want you to look anything but your best! 

Kelly and I can both make 2:00 PM.  If you can too, then let's say 2:00 PM.   This way you can chose to opt out of the longer ride (if you want)  after the descent and still be back at your hotel around 3:00 PM which would give you  approx. 3 hours to get ready.

Hopefully others can as well.  It will take a while to coordinate getting cars to the bottom of the hill and people back up but I think there are enough of us to make it work.

IF ANYONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS TIME PLEASE SPEAK UP SO WE CAN ADJUST!  We will meet in the parking lot of the High Peaks Cyclery (just like we did for training camp, if you were there).

• Options
    LOL, i will let you know. I am checking with Josie to see timing and what the plans are.

My cell phone is 571.484.3699. I will have my parents drive a car to meet us at the bottom of Keene and then along the way for the ride.
  • Options
    2:00 works for me!
  • Options
    2 works for me.  I should have room for a 2nd bike in my car.  Kerrie
  • Options
    Traveling Thurs. Any interest in Fri afternoon?
  • Options

Get all of this recon stuff done Thurs or Friday.

On Saturday PnI will drive the bike and run courses backwards. Any EN athletes found on the course will be kicked in the jibblies.