Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

What will you do differently this time around?

Some us have raced Madison before. What went well? What didn't and how will you fix it this time?

Comments

• Options
    I will race this one with Power. Therefore I will better be able to ride the Bike I "SHOULD" ride, rather than what I "COULD". This will hopefully prevent complete lock-up of my legs at Mile 14 of the run.....
  • Options
    Great idea for a thread, Brian! Looking forward to hearing the lessons learned.
  • Options

I would go back to 2004, at the railroad tracks at Bourbon Rd, and tell my dumbass to flip it and pick up the two bottles you just launched. That mistake didn't end well on the run 

• Options
    My last time out, I underestimated the temp. I felt so good after the bike, and I didn't think it was that hot, so I went closer to my "in theory" run pace than I should have instead of my "temp adjusted" one. Didn't KILL me, but I did underperform on the run overall and was in a LOT of pain by the end.
  • Options
    As you know Brian, my goal is to get to the start line healthy. I am going with healthy and a bit undertrained will be a world better than the previous 3. I'm also working on better nutrition, proper intake so the run isn't a death march.
  • Options
    When I speak of 'do differently', I'm referring to my previous races which do not include IMWisc.

I will ride slower, easier. That's #1. Sounds easy enough cuz that's what we're supposed to do, but I have a really hard time standing down whether it's due to a hill or a 'carrot' up the road to go catch.

I have more swim time done than ever before. That won't make me fast but I expect that I will endure the 2.4 miles better than I have in the past.
    And, despite a few nagging calf injuries in Jan/Feb, I'm running better at this point in an IM build than I ever have. Again, not fast, but 'stronger', lots of hills, and surviving/recovering/ready for the next workout, a steady build, physically and mentally.

It all comes to down to the bike. I will ride it like I'm supposed to ride the bike leg of an IM.

• Options
    Here are just a few things I will do differently at IMWI 2013 based on my 2011 race.

1. Jog -- don't run -- the Helix to T1
    2. Run to my bike/out of T1 with my shoes in my hands - my feet hated me for the first 30+ miles of the bike after running in cycling shoes on the concrete parking deck out of T1
    3. Use extreme caution in the first couple miles of the bike - especially on the bike path -- less than 1:35 into th3 race saw three people being put into an ambulance because they just could not listen to "NO PASSING ZONE // SLOW DOWN"
    4. Focus on riding the right pace on the bike -- mental fatigue was HUGE in causing physical fatigue - need to stay aero and keep my hands by the shifters as I found I would get lazy shifting beacuse my hands were not near the shifters - end result watts spike and physical fatigue accumulated - had slower loop 2 as a result as I tried to recover.
    5. Pay closer attention to the heat & nutrition -- 2011 was a beautiful day it did not feel hot on the bike but it was and I should have modified my nutrition slightly.
    6. Make my run shoes a little lose -- did not realize how much my feet would swell during the bike - had some foot issues the first 6 miles until I could figure out the right lacing on the shoes.
  • Options
    2011 vs.2013
    1. T1: In counterpoint to Brian, here is my take. I hustled through T1 and passed hundreds.
    2. Nutrition: My plan failed in 2011. I got nowhere near 1.5 grams carbohydrate a min on the bike let alone 2.1. This time I'm practicing and tracking calories intake.
    3. I used a NeverReach hydration system in '11. Basically a gigantic behind-the-seat fishbowl. Worked fine for 1/2IM, not for IM. 2 problems: I couldn't empty bottles into it fast enough and I couldn't see how much I was drinking. It is great for training, but we need to practice with our race setup, so it had to go. This time I am back to the Drinkmore BTA cage, and a downtube cage +/- XLab Delta 300 behind the seat.
  • Options

Posted By Brian Quarton on 23 Jul 2013 09:41 AM

2011 vs.2013

1. T1: In counterpoint to Brian, here is my take. I hustled through T1 and passed hundreds.

2. Nutrition: My plan failed in 2011. I got nowhere near 1.5 grams carbohydrate a min on the bike let alone 2.1. This time I'm practicing and tracking calories intake.

3. I used a NeverReach hydration system in '11. Basically a gigantic behind-the-seat fishbowl. Worked fine for 1/2IM, not for IM. 2 problems: I couldn't empty bottles into it fast enough and I couldn't see how much I was drinking. It is great for training, but we need to practice with our race setup, so it had to go. This time I am back to the Drinkmore BTA cage, and a downtube cage +/- XLab Delta 300 behind the seat.

T1: there's a difference between walk, jog, or sprint/run up the helix. In '11 I did the later, same as I did in '04. I learned that I had aged 7yrs and was pretty crushed for a good 15' on the bike . If I were to do it again, I'd jog 

• Options
    T1: I couldn't have sprinted if I wanted... I'm not a fast enough swimmer for that to be an option. So rather than walk up the helix, I got up on the curb on the outside and took the commuter lane to the top. Because it is a longer path, and a bit narrow I was able to jog. I think I gave less time being willing to do that and my HR was fine.
  • Options

@Joe, What kind of gearing do you have on your bike? (Crankset and cassette)

@Dave Barr, stay the course.

@William and Brian, you guys did better than I did. I knew I was toast coming into T2.

@Chris, there is a reoccurring theme here fueling, patience and discipline.

• Options
    Last year I had nearly 34 minutes of coasting so my goal is to reduce that number ALOT.
    Make sure I am at the finish line for the midnight finish. Last year I was sound a sleep.
    On Saturday be sure and hit the farmers market and eat one of those huge cinnamon rolls I turned down last year.
    Meet up with the team afterwards for a few beers.
  • Options
    Ok, the cinnamon rolls sounds like a great idea.
  • Options

Posted By Brian Quarton on 23 Jul 2013 10:29 PM

@Joe, What kind of gearing do you have on your bike? (Crankset and cassette)

Brian - I am now riding with a compact crank and an 11x28 cassette.  Based on last weekend's rides on the course, I am seriously considering a 12x32...  Currently my FTP is 265ish, and I am tipping the scales at ~170.  As we just returned from our vacation, I have only downloaded my ride data but not had time to look at it.  I will be posting a recap later this week.

• Options

I am going to run a 11/28 cassette and a compact crank-50/34.  However I will train on a 53/39 untill race day just for muscle strength purposes.  Wisc is an animal and very technical so the more help we can get from gearing the better.......save the legs for the marathon. i I am hoping to race around 150 pounds......put me around 4.5watts/kg.

• Options
    @Joe - Good. I learned my lesson and the 53/39 had to go.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure I've put this out there...somewhere...but I raced '11 with a compact and 26-11 rear cassette. ~4.2w/kg and ~5:10 bike split.