Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

training reports.

though i'd start one of these as the other groups are doing them.

overcooked but fun old style weekend at whistler.     rode the whole dang bike course on Saturday.   ran 20 miles sunday on the run course.          I normally don't run that long but hadn't done as long a long run in a couple years so thought I'd get some hardiness in the legs.

the situation reminds be of the tremblant venue.    Whistler scenery probably more spectacular.    

we are staying 1/4 mile from finish and t2 so that is cool.

Comments

• Options

Yes a thread like this is good, especially reports from the course. I hope to get to Whistler a couple of times before race day yet.

Yasko, glad u overcame. Do u have a blue cervelo? Did you take a picture of couple at olympic park, and then ride into whistler with the guy as they got separated? If so, small small world as they are my training buddies. As he was giving me the report on how sat went I mentioned your story was similar to theirs then the next thing......

• Options
    Yes, I do have a blue Cervelo. Yes, Linda and I met with a couple at the park. He was wearing an IM Canada jersey. Their daughter was in the black truck supporting them. I think we saw him later, but not her, and were wondering about her. Was she okay?
  • Options
    @Yasko, yep she made it ok just took a different road into the village.
  • Options

Did a Whistler camp last weekend and I'm really glad I did, although it hurt! Fri: 2.4+70, Sat: 112+8, Sun: 1.4+16, into a 3 hour drive to a 5 hour flight (be wary of Vancouver traffic, it's sooooo bad). Over night lows were in the 40s, water temps were high 60s, and the bike started in the low 50s. Still made my swim and run intervals back in nyc on Monday/Tuesday  

Beautiful course that will chew you up and spit you out, especially on the bike. I've raced LP, CdA, and MT, and this is easily harder than all of those. Swim is gorgeous, but I don't know how anyone can spectate since there's no parking and T1 is not near T2. I think the shuttles are for athletes only? 

Bike is also scenic, but it's WORK.  Constant shifting just to try and manage power, and it was hard to stay focused for that long, reminds me of what I've heard of IMWI. Bring the lowest gears you have and throw all time goals out the window.  There are 4 climbs >10% and a handful of extended climbs >5% within the first 20 miles. The steepest climb is ~12%, at mile 95, followed by a 20 mile climb into a headwind home.

Run is manageable, but starts hilly on dirt roads, so form and foot placement are key. Many parts are in the woods and shaded, which is a nice break.