Home General Training Discussions
Options

Stupid Hamstring.

Well things were going to well in the offseason I guess.  Hitting my targets and doing what I should to get ready for my early season tri.  Then last night one of the things I feared the most happened.  During church league b-ball practice I pulled or strained my left hamstring.  

After researching on the net I think it is a level 1 or 2 strain.  Leg curls on the machine create discomfort but don't stop me from lifting the weight.  I only did one lift with the left leg to see how it reacted.

My question is can someone give me a suggestion on how to treat my leg.  I skipped today's bike ride as I feared injuring the leg even more than it is currently.  Is it just a risk for sprinting so that I can continue tri-training but exempt b-ball or is it something where I should convert to  swimming for a week or two?

Comments

• Options
    Posted By Charles Syracuse on 17 Nov 2009 08:10 PM

Well things were going to well in the offseason I guess.  Hitting my targets and doing what I should to get ready for my early season tri.  Then last night one of the things I feared the most happened.  During church league b-ball practice I pulled or strained my left hamstring.  

After researching on the net I think it is a level 1 or 2 strain.  Leg curls on the machine create discomfort but don't stop me from lifting the weight.  I only did one lift with the left leg to see how it reacted.

My question is can someone give me a suggestion on how to treat my leg.  I skipped today's bike ride as I feared injuring the leg even more than it is currently.  Is it just a risk for sprinting so that I can continue tri-training but exempt b-ball or is it something where I should convert to  swimming for a week or two?

The quickest fix would be to get it looked at by a PT or good sports massage person. They could help break up the adhesions that result from a sprain/strain and prevent any permanent scarring in there. In the mean time, the big keys for you would be nix the intensity from your workouts. If it's not hurting, you can still bike for the prescribed time but cap the effort at z3. If that's too much, back it down even further. Play the run by ear. No speed work until the pain is gone, but easy runs with some strides at the end can help flush the system out. If those are too much, hit the pool for some deep water running. avoid the weights for now.

Lots of ice! gentle stretching and break out the foam roller/stick if you have it. if you have any compression shorts, consider wearing them under your work clothes to help keep the muscle supported.

• Options

Avoid wts that fire the hamstrings.

Running is more hamstrings than biking so err toward biking.

Agree with Leighs tx recs.

• Options
    Thank you guys. Leigh I am going to give my friends PT a call tomorrow to try to get an appointment.

I will also continue to ice and hit the foam roller on it as well as my ITB.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will get back on the bike in the morning. missed the last two days, but that won't kill me.
  • Options
    How is your leg feeling?? Keep us updated. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Carrie
  • Options

Quick update.  I am back into my training fully now.  Although my b-ball season is definitely done, other than coaching a bunch of 6 yr. olds. 

I can still tell that I had an issue with my left ham, but other than a mild discomfort I stretch it out and make friends with the foam roller on it as well as the ITB after biking or running. 

Thanks to everyone for the help.  Looking forward to my June 5th Rock and Roll HIM.

• Options
    Hey Charles! I'm sorry to hear about your hamstring issue. I have a question purely out of curiosity. Did you do any stretching of the hamstring and other muscles before or during the game?
  • Options

I actually did stretch my hamstring, before the game and then during. I ultimately think that my downfall came because of over exertion that day.  It happened at what we call practice, (ie. pick-up with the team).

That morning I had completed my speedwork for the day at around 5:30 am.  Generally I run at lunch so I thought that I had plenty of recovery time as b-ball is at 8:00 pm.  I stretched and then played about 1 1/2 hrs of full court.  Stretching anytime that we took a break.  Specifically concentrating on my hams and calves as those tend to give me fatigue/cramping problems and stretching helps.  I could feel the legs starting to tire before the last game, but I played anyway and I had one last steal and a breakaway.  As I went to jump for my lay-up I felt the hamstring tweak. I then tried to stretch it out and the rest is history above.