Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

(2 x Love) + (2 x 140.6) = IMLP RR

WARNING: Mostly parent brag, very little RR. This is the story of a daughter and father, Bridget 22yo, Chris 54yo; who have been running, riding and swimming about as long as Bridget has been alive (see picture below of Bridget recovering from an especially grueling run, 8 mos old, dig the funky arm warmers); and who decided to take on IMLP together as first timers.

Backstory

Last summer we agreed to tackle IMLP. At that time I had done 2 HIM’s and Bridget had done nothing longer than a sprint, which she’d been doing on and off since about 12yo. Bridget set off for her senior year of college with a bike and trainer. I set off to ponder that I’d paid $1,200 for the 2 of us to swim, bike and ride in a lake and on roads we could access anytime for nothing.

For the most part we trained separately, Bridget with a personal trainer at college; me starting with the NOS. I adhered pretty much to the EN training regimen and tried not to worry that Bridget was allowing things like being a college student to get in the way of 6am trainer rides. To Bridget’s credit, she didn’t worry about it at all.

We started training together more regularly when she got home in May, leading up to Quassy. As the bike rides lengthened the negotiations over when to start were hysterical. Me, “we have a 4 hour ride tomorrow morning, what time to you want to start?” Bridget, “I don’t know what were you thinking?” Me, “how about 7am (thinking that was plenty late enough)?” Bridget, “ooh, that’s kind of early, 9 would be better, then I have to work at 2, I’m sitting 5-8, then going out with Sarah and Emma.” Soon I came to see our long rides starting at 9am (really 9’ish, don’t think we actually hit 9 ever) as more or less the time of day we would be riding at LP and embraced it.

At the LP Camp Bridget and I rode 112 miles for the first time that Friday. With intentions of riding 112 again on Saturday we decided about 5 minutes into the ride that 56 would do nicely and a swim in Mirror Lake was a sensible afternoon plan. I was hurting and complained more or less constantly. Didn’t even feel that bad when Coach P caught me drafting her on the AuSable Forks out/back. Bridget was hurting too, butt, shoulders, wrists, and never really complained and never quit. We did the half marathon Sunday, and agreed that felt pretty good. All in all we agreed the camp was terrific, meeting everyone was wonderful, and we felt so much better prepared for race day.  

IMLP

At IMLP our only objective was to cross the finish line together. At about 6:40am we entered the water together holding hands. “I love you, see you on the bike” were my last words. “I love you dad, see you on the bike, don’t take too long” were hers.

We knew Bridget swam faster and we would be immediately separated in the water. We figured I could catch up on the bike, and from there we would run the marathon together and finish together.

We estimated Bridget would finish the swim about 15 minutes faster than me and sure enough she was out of the water 15 minutes faster. Bridget was 3rd in her age group out of the water!! She was also 3 minutes faster out of T1 for an early lead of 18 minutes.

A quick calculation of our relative average bike speeds indicated it should take me about 4 1/2 hours (about 70 miles) to catch up. It took 6 hours and 90 miles. When I finally caught up, Bridget turned and said “I’ve been slowing down, where ya been?” Love that kid! She rode a great bike split after a great swim split. We finished the 112 mile bike course together and headed into T2 for the marathon.

Bridget was also faster coming out of T2 by about 6 minutes. Don’t know what takes me so long in transition, hair and make-up isn’t that hard. Maybe it’s because they give you chairs?

It was so good to have each other for the marathon. The miles in and near town were exciting because of the crowds but there were some long, lonely miles out on River Road that were so much better because we had each other. We executed the run plan really well. The plan was to run slowly but steadily the entire course, do not slow down, do not start walking; with the exception of the Aid Stations. We did just that. Our stops at the Aid Stations got longer as the marathon wore on but our running pace between aid stations was steady. We were still running at mile 18. And we were still running up that last damn hill into town.

Coming into the Olympic Oval to finish was unbelievable. Honestly felt like I was floating. 140 miles on these old legs and I was high-fiving and guns-flexing the crowds on the way in. Nothing hurt at that point!

We knew every finisher was announced over the speaker system as “John Doe, you are an IRONMAN”. We knew to listen for it. But as we came around the corner to the finish arch all I heard “We have a father and daughter, we have a father and daughter….” and the cheering drowned out everything else. I don’t remember hearing the announcer say “Chris Love, you are an IRONMAN or Bridget Love, you are an IRONMAN”, because of the crowd noise. Although, and best of all, I clearly remember crossing the finish line holding Bridget’s hand! Objective achieved. What a day. Way to go Bridget Love!

See pics below.

xxxxx

Comments

• Options
    Oh Geez! I've LOVED you two guys since I first met you at Quassy and then at the IMLP camp! I am SO impressed with both of you and can't tell you how awesome this journey has been for me to watch from the sidelines. You know my story as I ran behind you on Rt. 73 during the EN camp run:-( The two of you are so inspirational and fun and talented! I think this may just be the beginning of a 2 * Love adventure! Congratulations on a wonderful achievement that you will always remember!!
  • Options
    Excellent report Chris.... who needs power stats and HR numbers when you have such a great story that unfolded in a purely natural way on race day.

Very touching. That is a special thing that you and Bridget are able to share.
  • Options
    Dude, you made me cry. Congratulations to you two. What an amazing memory to share with each other.
  • Options
    I'm glad you said it first Brenda because my eyes watered up when I read the last part coming around the oval. You Are An Ironman!!!

Congrats to both of you. It was great to meet you at camp and to see you during race week! What a great achievement to do together. Just plain awesome!
  • Options
    Awesome story! Congrats to both of you! This is something you will always remember.
  • Options
    Congrats guys. Great report!
  • Options
    I watched my 14 yr. old daughter complete her first tri., a sprint, a few weeks ago, and that was a great day. But YOURS, simply AWESOME!! And yes I cried reading it!!
  • Options
    Fantastic story.
    WTG
  • Options
    Great story!!!! And Thank you both for all of your support before and during the race. Because of you two, i was able to run the marathon.
  • Options
    Incredibly awesome story. Excuse me as I wipe the tear from my eyes. Awesome, simply awesome
  • Options

VERY, VERY, Cool!  Congratulations to you and Bridget!  That memory will last a lifetime!

• Options
    Fantastic loving Love family! It was great meeting you two at camp in June and your wife and Stefan at the athlete dinner. You helped me stay focused out on River Rd. as we took turns leap frogging. So nice to see your smiling faces when I was feeling defeated. You are an incredibly positive pair that I feel honored to know.
  • Options
    Wow, how amazing. So touching. As a dad of a wonderful 5 year old girl I can only imagine how that must have been for you out there on the course with your daughter. You guys win.
  • Options
    Thanks for making me cry over the keyboard. My dad passed away when I was 14, and I can only imagine what an amazing experience it would've been to do an Ironman with him. Your daughter (and you) are so lucky to have these memories!
  • Options
    Another teary person here.   Chris, when you told me at Quassy that you and Bridget planned to finish IMLP together I was excited and hopeful for you but also a bit skeptical.  I thought, how are they going to stay together?   What a GREAT story!   I'm so thrilled for both of you that you found each other on the course and were able to stay together the whole run. What an incredible journey and incredible day. Congratulations to both of you!  I hope to see you both out there again.  Quassy next year??
  • Options
    Wow - Very Cool and inspirational - Nothing more to say, but Very Cool!!!
  • Options

Thank you everyone for your incredibly kind replies. From Quassy when we first met some of you to the LP camp when we met more of you to race week when we met even more of you, you made Bridget and me feel right at home.

We were just 2 road biking newbies just trying to survive our first IM and you were so helpful and encouraging, sharing what you knew in an effort to help us. We didn’t have much to contribute to the team in the way of knowledge or experience, but we were determined to see it through with good cheer. On race day we were proud EN’ers, shouting out “Go EN” and messing up the gangsta sign.

Bridget’s plans for next year are up in the air but she’s hoping to volunteer at LP 2014 and race it again in 2015! I’ll see some of you at IMMT 2014.

Willie Nelson wrote “Mama’s Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys” but triathletes, heck yeah.

Thank you for letting our family become part of the EN family.

• Options
    Wow - such a great way to race! Totally awesome.
    Now, she'll won't want to "wait" for Dad anymore...lol
  • Options
    WOW!!! What an incredible story. I'm going to have my daughter read this in hopes she might be inspired to do a race, any race, with me. Thanks for sharing your memories.
  • Options
    You made me cry at work. What an amazing story and accomplishment. Congratulations to both of you! My husband and I dream of doing an IM with our daughter (15 yr old) one day together.
  • Options
    @Chris - I know that I'm a year late on this, but I've been reading IMLP race reports since my big day is a bit over 2 weeks from now. I really enjoyed meeting you this year at Quassy. You have a great attitude about things and it really shines through. As far as this report, super inspirational in so many ways! You have a special daughter, but you already know this. I have a 9 yr old daughter, and I only hope that one day, I can do this with her. Incidentally, I had a giant lump in my throat reading your report... image
  • Options
    Yep..cried. image I got the short version of the story at IMMT camp...this one was awesome That oval...it is magical, and to share it with Bridgett...the best! You are lucky to have raced together!!! image