Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

IMMT 8/12-8/18 Race Week

Comments

• Options
    @Tim: what time are you riding? I have not done that section yet.
  • Options
    I am sure i am too slow. However, am riding 90km tomorrow at 8am followed by a short run. I am 100m from transition zone. 184 chemin pied de la montangue unit 41
  • Options
    @David... Probably around 3-4pm this afternoon for the Lac Superior section... Waiting for Chris to get back from Montreal so not exactly sure... Going to meet at bike out of T1.... Time TBD... I'll repost when I know if your interested.

@Carlyn... we can meet at bike out of T1 tomorrow at 8AM.... I wanna be back around 10:30ish so can shower and make the EN lunch at 11:30.... I dont mind riding with slower riders at all....I just do more hill repeats..... My plan is to ride Lac Superior section and at the turnaround just keep going. Steve Ross and Brent Pilon said that was awesome riding up that way. I sent a PM to Brenda hoping the Ross's will join me.
  • Options
    Think Ross's not arrive until sat eve. Was going to bike with Brenda and her plans changed. I am really slow. You can always take off. Only done one triathlon ever. Doing half in sept. I ride around 27-28 km hr. On a kaboom day have done 29-30
  • Options
    One last bout of silliness:

Med tent - In the medical tent they put me on a cot and tried to warm me up and draw blood to find out how bad I might be. We were all surprised to see that I had gained, yeah, that's right, gained 11 pounds during the race. However, in spite of that fluid gain, my plasma volume was down. Even though I normally have garden hose veins they had a hard time getting a good draw. My pulse was 100 and thready even after 10 minutes of not running anymore and the doc said I had irregular heart beat sounds. My sodium came back at a 126 mEq/L (normal is 135-145) and the chloride was down there as well. My kidney values weren't good either but the doc said "Eh, we see that all the time at Ironmans." So, hypovolemic hyponatremia was what I wound up with during the run. And all those cups of chicken broth and electrolyte capsules and that salt water and who knows what else I tried to consume during the run? Where did all that go? Not much farther than my stomach and intestines. Apparently very little of it got absorbed into my blood stream but that is sorta what happens during exercise. Blood flow to the gut organs and kidneys isn't a high priority compared to the needs of the muscles, heart, lungs and brain. They had me try to drink 3 large cups of chicken broth and for a while it felt like my tummy would pop but eventually normal digestive work began and I perked up but than another comical event happened.

I soon had to pee really really bad but my legs were still totally locked up and it hurt too much to try to get up. And I wondered out loud what my options were. So the doc gets a wicked grin on his face and in a flash he returns brandishing a Foley catheter. "Works every time!" It involved a bit of exclamations and some more crying but I definitely did not want that thing applied... With two volunteers pulling me upwards I managed to get up and hobble over to a port-a-john for the first of many trips to get rid of all that fluid I had consumed.
  • Options

This is pretty much what I'll look like on race day. Let's post photos of ourselves so we can recognize each other more easily out there.

• Options

Yeah, I'll be rockin' that dazed look all day long. I'm a trendsetter. That's me. ;-)  Here's how I look, today at least, in civvies.

• Options
    @ Tim: That may work.. Heading out shortly to drive the course and get lunch. Should be back in time. I will let you know if I am too late...
  • Options
    One puking child later and we are here any tips on finding check in????
  • Options
    Good luck on Sunday guys. I won't be online tomorrow as I expect to be a little busy!
  • Options
    @Carolyn... yep the Ross's are out... I can at least meet you at 8AM at the Transition tomorrow .... Riding a black and white Felt Da2

@Paul.... thanks for joining and participating in our group.... wishing you good skill tomorrow... enjoy the day!
  • Options

can't seem to recognize anybody..... here is a pic to help others identify the sherpa/cheerleader!!!

• Options
    @Paul - x2 on what Tim said!
  • Options
    @Carolyn - it is next to Spag & Co. If that helps
  • Options
    Tim hate to cancel as soon as i invite myself. Husband wants to swim in morning as he was too late today. Cant say when he will be back
  • Options
    I stopped by the Telus van today at the expo and found that they're providing free wifi in the immediate area. It's a hidden network but all you have to do is add the network to your phone/device by typing in the name 'geninc' and you'll connect. No password needed. They said it works for about 500 meters. Maybe.
  • Options
    @Tim: Just got back and getting ready to go. at the Westin. will change and go. Have you gone yet?
  • Options
    @David... yep we missed you ... enjoy your ride and be careful out there

@Carlyn.. no worries

Hope to meet you both at lunch tomorrow!
  • Options
    Just rode the lac superior section with Edward, venk, William and wife. According to Edward and venk (who raced last year) it's a little shorter this year, and probably added onto the other end of the loop on 117 to make up the distance. There were pavement markings showing a turnaround two miles before they expected them.

But...If those are the worse hills we have to deal with all day, even this Texas flatlander big dood shouldn't have a problem with the course.

Water was clean and smooth this morning when I swam, and you can actually SEE beyond your elbow (unlike Texas open water). Love it!!

One last thing...it's not 100*F+!!!! Loving that!!
  • Options
    If you are racing and reading this, then good luck, but Go to sleep!!!
  • Options
    All the relaxed silliness was gone when I woke up this morning but what replaced it isn't exactly welcome.
  • Options
    Where you going for lunch? Was it 11:30? Spec and co? Next to finish.
  • Options
    I went out and rode the course for you guys this morning because well this is just the kind of guy that I am..... I wanted to make sure that it was still smooth and fast... Yep it is... Was a bit chilly though....

rode 1 loop with a little extra on 117 and I skipped the Saint Jovite section.... IF .77 with a VI of 1.016 So you can flatten this course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/360302848

You guys are gonna have such a good day out there tomorrow!
  • Options
    Hey everyone! I'm finally back from beautiful IMMT. What a great course. Just wanted to say thanks for all the support on the course race day. It was great seeing some familiar faces out there. I got through the race in one piece. The knee is letting me know it isn't exactly thrilled with what I did on Sunday but it really isn't too bad. Time to get some sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep and recovery!
  • Options
    As I prepare my race report I thought this was worth mentioning.

Geez, that climb really needs to be highlighted in CoachP's race prep next year. I previewed it twice and probably should have done it a couple more times to get it right. If you knew which spots were worth a little more effort on the downhills you could save a lot of wattage on the following ascents. All in all I would say it is THEE classic stretch of road that EN prepares you to conquer. Constant switching between difficulty keeping to your target watts and appropriately putting the hammer down when the grade levels off. It was a real test of will to be patient and not chase those folks climbing past you because you had to wait a long time to see if dialing it back would pay off. I doubt I did a perfect job on that climb but I know I did something right because I was able to rip that downhill without mercy and have a strong start to the run after 112 punishing miles.

How is everyone recovering? My muscles are doing okay but the various traumas I sustained are causing problems. More gross details on that stuff later. Jon Lieberman and I are trading war stories.
  • Options
    That bike course is no joke, no section of it.

The only real recovery I'm having trouble with is the MASSIVE popped blister on the bottom of my right foot, which popped about mile 9-10 of the run. Forced me to limp the rest of the way in. It's NASTY! I can post pics if anyone wants to see them! ;-)

If it holds up, which has healed quite a lot in the last day or so, I'll be heading to lovely Wichita Falls TX, for the Hotter n Hell 100 century ride (one of the largest "rallies" in the country, and a tradition). How's that for recovery?!?
  • Options
    x3 on that bike course being no joke. I kept thinking "couldn't they have put this section at the beginning instead of the end" but honestly- I'm not sure it would make much difference. The only "easy" part of the course was riding through that little town of Saint Joliet- the energy there was incredible!!!! I launched bottles on the bridge heading out of town on the second loop and had to go a loooooooong way without water (up that big long climb on the highway). Not good. I'd say Coach P's course review next year should include a warning about hanging onto bottles on those bridge crossings. That said, I hit 40mph going down one of those long descents, sweeeeeeeeet!

I'd also highlight for folks that the run is NOT flat. Yes, for each 13.1 mile lap there are 6ish miles of flat trail, but there are also 6 miles of some significant hills too (or maybe that's just the perspective of a girl from the beach). Anyway- I'd say don't underestimate the run either.

My recovery is going well. Finally got 2 back to back nights of solid sleep which really felt good. I was going to hit the pool today but slept in instead. Tonight I get a massage and I'll spin things out on the bike on Saturday. Made an apt with another Ortho for a second opinion on the meniscus but will have to wait until October to see him- grrrrrrr.
  • Options
    LOL you guys obviously did not listen or look at the bike/run files ;-) LOL>.... I was chuckling everytime I heard someone say I rode the Lac Superior sections and it wasnt that bad.... TRUE but at mile 45 and mile 110 ITS NO JOKE.... you all crushed it congrats!
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 22 Aug 2013 11:29 AM

LOL you guys obviously did not listen or look at the bike/run files ;-) LOL>.... I was chuckling everytime I heard someone say I rode the Lac Superior sections and it wasnt that bad.... TRUE but at mile 45 and mile 110 ITS NO JOKE.... you all crushed it congrats!

HA!!!!  OK- I was one of those peeps, I admit it!  And I'll also admit that on race day I thought "holy crap this seems a LOT longer than it did the other day!".  But I'm really glad I pre-rode it and I agree that it is the only real section you need to ride before race day.  

One of my proudest moments of the day was heading up the Lac Superior section on the second loop and having a guy behind me say "you climb pretty good for a girl from the beach!"  HA!  Yup- and watch me take no prisoners on this downhill too!!!!  Can't believe how many folks I saw walking up that climb on the second loop and braking on the descents.  

• Options
    What?? Folks were walking up that climb? No way. Really? I guess I come from a much tougher region than most folks because those hills were no problem for the roadie in me. Each week I do a training ride that has almost 150 ft of climbing per mile and most of that climbing is on slopes of 15% or steeper. These two links are examples of the ride I lead Tuesday mornings for our Mapso NRFK (Not Ready For Kona) Group. A truly nasty morning. Yeah, I'm bragging a little here, especially because I can do these hills remaining seated on my tri bike, not even in my easiest gear and balancing a parrot on my right shoulder. Not my left; that's the one with the plate in it and her claws tend to hurt when we descend and she gets scared. Okay, that last part isn't true. She's fearless.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/350645696
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/336374801

Annnnnnyway, my real challenge was not gunning it and accepting the 4-6 mph speeds for long stretches of time. So many times I wanted to say "Oh yeah? Drop this!" as one rider after another passed me but I actually executed the plan. I was trying to be so good and it took a long time to find out if it was worth it. No matter how many times you hear the success stories it doesn't seem possible until you experience it on race day. Race rehearsals give you a hint but all too easily I dismissed those results. I have a somewhat funny story to tell about those climbs inmy report.

@Nemo! That must have felt awesome! And I agree, that Saint Jovite thingie reminded me of the Champs Elysee on stage 21 of Le Tour. All we needed was a tunnel. I hear ya about those sharp bumps but I was fortunate to not lose any bottles, only have a CO2 cartridge unscrew a little. It jiggled a little and I kept wondering what that sound was behind me.

Thanks, Tim.